Twisted Leaders how to.

rayke1938

Guy at the Barra night at Logan River marine showed how to make twisted leaders with a reversing electric drill. I think his name was Matt Fraser but not certain. He was kind enough to give out a few of his jigs and I scored one. They are simple to make using a hole saw, a bit of dowell and some cup hooks.

Afraid post will be a bit long as I have stuffed up my photobucket. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0366_AFO.jpg

post-230-144598476507_thumb.jpg

I used 14lb berkley red trilene for the leader because that is what I had and Schultzy says that fish cant see red leader.

You then tie two loops in the end of the line using a piece long enough to stretch between the 2 screws and the single one. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0365_AFO.jpg

post-230-144598478217_thumb.jpg

You then put the centre of the line over the single screw and hook the two loops over ajecent cup hooks on the jig and spin the drill for 15 seconds to 20 seconds

You then repeat the process with another length of line and when spun remove the 2 loops from the first length and place them on the 2 spare cup hooks on the jig.

REVERSE the drill and spin for 15/20 seconds.You will soon know if you have forgotten to reverse the drill because as soon as you release the leader it will twist up into a little ball.

More give in line and less susceptable to abrasion from trees and gill rakers. If a gill raker nicks a single line it will usually break all the way as soon as strain put on it but you will normally only lose one strand with twisted leader.It is actually more than 4 times stronger than the line it is twisted from as there are 4 strands in the leader.

Cheers

Ray

After flatty catchers post it decided to play around a bit.

I had to recharge my drill and found that I only have to twist for around 15 seconds now.

I found some stren clear sensor mono that is only .014 in diameter against the trilene which is .016.

The stren leaders are noticeably thinner and more supple so I will have to try both of them out at Mondy.

Cheers

Ray

Nice one Ray. I was shown another technique where you cut a length of line twice as long as you need for your leader, then hold in the middle with both hands about 10cm apart and start twisting in opposite directions. After a few twists, bring your hands together and the line will twist into itself. Then you keep twisting each line in opposite directions, working your way to the end.

Takes a bit longer than 15 seconds but great for when you're out fishing and don't have your drill! ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Ray, Will you be taking your contraption up to Monduran ? I haven't got around to making one yet. I tried making some twisted leaders without it......should have spent the time making the contraption instead :blush:

What I made wasn't pretty, but it was strong - I used 80lb leader material. Would make a good spare anchor rope for a cruise ship.

Bimini are easy I used my drill with a pen in the end loop the line over theclip on the cap and away it goes enen with one and attached to the drill you have 2 free hands to tie the know and a 50 turn is so easy thisway

edit- wo did not see this was such an old thread :unsure:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived