more newstead fun, 13/12/2008

nadders

so i decided to fish newstead again, and had a pretty random night. we got there about 7:30pm, threw some pilchards out while we netted for livies and got none. this trend continued for a good couple of hours, no bait hanging around whatsoever. No action on the pilchards either, was looking pretty tragic there for a while.

slowly, the bait started coming in though. a herring here, a prawn there, we got enough to have a couple livies out at the same time and waited for some action.

One rod gets hit pretty hard, 2 very quick and solid runs but a missed hookup. my mate is spewing, wonder what it was?

the other livie doesn't get a touch...

by now we've run out of bait again, so back to the pilchards. mates pilchard gets picked at by something and ends up being a mushed up distorted inside-out fish carcass on gangs. throws it out anyway and turns it into the nastiest pike eel ever. we're both lucky we didn't lose a limb to this thing.

meanwhile i'm netting for more bait. i throw in, see a prawn at the top of the net. 'ooh a prawn'. hang on, why is my net flapping about..wtf is that? pull the net up, and a 50cm threadie has swum in for a visit! quite a surprise to pull a cast net up with a bloody salmon in it i can tell ya. a few pics (will post em when i get em) and back into the river to get a bit bigger for next time.

Now using the eel for shark bait and a few more livies we picked up, we hung round until dawn but no more action after the netted threadie. oh well, not as much fun as catching em on a line, but sure is a hell of a lot more surprising :woohoo:

cheers!

novrain wrote:

whereabouts where you guys at? i was having dinner at the breeky creek hotel and walked over to see if anyone was there.

there was a group beside the newstead pontoon in that little 'bay' area, that was bout it.

u guys further down?

were there like 3 boats all tied together side by side and cursing a fella named shortie!

Archived