Severn River Camping Trip 08/09

Cowfish13

After last years (or 07/08) relative success at the Severn River, we had another go over the new years break again this year (08/09).

Monday 29/12

As we drew closer to the river, we had a look at the Dumaresq River to see that it was flooding pretty badly. Unknown to us, the area had received 120mm of rain on Saturday… Upon arrival at Lemon Tree Flat Camp Ground, we saw that the Severn River was flooding pretty heavily, and was extremely discoloured. Oh well, no point driving all this way and heading home. We set up camp, and went out for a quick fish. As expected, no fish, but got a few pictures of the river and cloud formations

DSCN0730AFO.jpg

DSCN0729AFO.jpg

DSCN0731AFO.jpg

Tuesday 30/12

We thought that the McIntyre River may be a little less dirty seeing as its catchment is in a different area to the Severn. No such luck; it was easily 3 times as murky. So we thought that the Pindari Dam (upstream of the Lemon Tree camp ground) may be a bit easier fished. After a good walk around thistle and nettle invested ground, with many dead trees, I got onto our first fish of the trip. A nice 39cm Yellowbelly on a gold g-vibe.

PICT0006AFO.jpg

PICT0007AFO.jpg

A short time later, I got this 37cm fish on the same lure

PICT0008AFO.jpg

A while later, Dad got a great 51cm Yellow on a strike king spinnerbait

PICT0009AFO.jpg

PICT0010AFO.jpg

Wednesday 31/12

The river had dropped and cleared a bit by today, so we decided to rock hop down to the dungeon, about 4km away. Got a few strikes. Jack finally hooked, but lost a good fish (suspect Cod about 60vm or so), due to a straightened treble, Dad got busted off in the same spot by a similar sized fish and then eventually Jack landed this small, obviously flood damaged fish. 34cm

PICT0023AFO.jpg

Nothing for the rest of that hike. Back at the camp, Jack and I decided to fish our secret spot from last year. Soon after, I got my first Cod of the trip. 37cm on a TT vortex spinnerbait. He had a broken tail, but it seemed to have healed ok.

PICT0024AFO.jpg

A bit later, after many missed hits in the same spot, I got a nice 45.5cm Cod (pb!) on the same lure. We were balancing on a log at this stage so I look a bit odd in the pic

PICT0026AFO.jpg

Thursday 1/1

Tried upstream of the campsite for nothing, so we made a quick trip over to the dam for another fish. After a long walk, I got onto this nice 56cm Yellow on the same lure as the cod. Was bloody fat!!!

PICT0028AFO.jpg

Nothing more at the dam, so back to camp, and back to the secret spot and I got another small Cod. 34cm

PICT0030AFO.jpg

That’s it for the fish for the trip, but here’s some pics of the gorge and the areas that we fished.

PICT0021AFO.jpg

PICT0020AFO.jpg

PICT0012AFO.jpg

PICT0013AFO.jpg

PICT0015AFO.jpg

PICT0016AFO.jpg

Well, that's where we've been these last few days. Hope you enjoyed the read

CheersB)

Aaron H wrote:

Sensational countryside there guys fish are just a bonus, is it 4wd access only in there?

If there's no heavy rain, any car could make it. But with the floods, there were some big gouges that the streams cut out of the road, and some of the creek crossings could get a little rough. But if there hasn't been any rain for a few weeks, 2WD would be fine. The rangers clean up the road really quick as we found out.

The dam might be a little harder, but there were heaps of smaller cars down at the ramp (if you can call it that:blink: :silly: ) so with some care, you could make it down

Average size I generally see is around 40'ish I think... But I don't really know because I don't go fresh water fishing too often. I think that would be better answered by someone else:dry:

The Cod easily out-fought the big yellow. The Yellow had weight, but the Cod was stronger. But a 35-38cm Estuary Cod would pull harder than all of those Murray's. The Murray's don't fight as hard as you'd expect...

Cheers for the comments guys. It was a great trip:cheer:

Archived