Glue/ Sealant for Yaks

rayke1938

Hi .

I am doing a few mods to my viking nemo and the silicone sealant that I am using does not appear to be sticking to the hull. I have tried a sandin and cleaning with metho and no improvement. Is there a special type that I should be using. I have tried marine sikaflex and sellys waterproof .

Cheers

Ray

im only guessing here ray but maybe some acetone on a very clean rag will help, that marine sika is some of the stickiest stuff ive ever used, sounds like the plastic is waxy or similar, or maybe the release agent from the mould is still on it .. ???????????

Ray, I use wax and grease remover( the stuff you prep a car to paint) then selleys all clear. and leave it to cure for a week. I only ever used it around hles and its sandwhiched between 2 plastic blocks. I never run a bead of it so dunno how good it works as a glue?

As Al said.

Marine grade sikaflex SHOULD work. I'd almost be confident enough to cut my yak in 2 and sikaflex it back together.

If it's not sticking, you either don't have it cleaned from some crap that's preventing the sika from sticking to the plastic, or you're not leaving it to set. 3-4 days is good for it to set.

I can't see why there would be a problem if that's all you're doing:S With the hatches and rod holders, use sikaflex as the waterproof sealant, and use bolts to really hold it down tight while it sets. It is normal for the sikaplex to peel abit as I found, but used in a good quantity, you should be able to bolt it down, and peel the excess sikaflex away after it has dried (as Terry said, 3-4 days)

good news ray, good ole acetone has got me out of many a bind with residues over the years, it has no oil content at all and is a much better cleaner than prepsol, but prepsol has its place mainly when cleaning metal surfaces ...

the clear one used by viking sounds like selleys all clear to me, takes 20 yrs to dry and its still sticky when u break through the surface :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: awefull stuff .. :silly:

Archived