State Of Origin Fishing Competition

AFO

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how the river fishes. The worst thing that could happen is rain, this will cause the river to shut down. Should the rain and floods from the last week happen just prior to the event it will make the fishing pretty hard.

The mid term forecast says low to med chance of rain between now and the comp. This lot of rain may actually work in our favour by stimulating a cycle of breeding and clean out which in turn will stimulate fish to enter the waterway once the water flow slows down and the water clears up.

Let's hope it doesn't rain in May. ;) What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a thought some camera's (like my phone cam) require the relevant software to be installed on the pc to allow downloading of pics :blink:

Or does the official pc/laptop have a program that can get the pics off all types of camera's via usb ???

maybe a silly question but I know I can plug my phone in via usb and it just sit's there unless the software is installed ( won't charge etc) :woohoo:

Cheers Gaz

Gazza wrote:

Just a thought some camera's (like my phone cam) require the relevant software to be installed on the pc to allow downloading of pics :blink:

Or does the official pc/laptop have a program that can get the pics off all types of camera's via usb ???

maybe a silly question but I know I can plug my phone in via usb and it just sit's there unless the software is installed ( won't charge etc) :woohoo:

Cheers Gaz

you can also take out the memory card from your phone and use someones camera that is compatible with the pc. Some phone memory cards are small and need to go into an adaptor.

Brian D wrote:

It will be interesting to see how the river fishes. The worst thing that could happen is rain, this will cause the river to shut down. Should the rain and floods from the last week happen just prior to the event it will make the fishing pretty hard.

The mid term forecast says low to med chance of rain between now and the comp. This lot of rain may actually work in our favour by stimulating a cycle of breeding and clean out which in turn will stimulate fish to enter the waterway once the water flow slows down and the water clears up.

Let's hope it doesn't rain in May. ;) What do you think?

Brian if it rains the comp turns indoors and we have the State of Origin drinking competition! Boat races all round.

tuesday is when ill start seriously looking at the forecast ....

the water quality 9 ks from the mouth of the richmond is not too bad now and holding all the usual suspects .... i have no idea what the bruns is like, but im guessing it would be ok and fairly clean on the high... the water temp is still 23 just offshore, so im assuming that there is a chance still of a good trevor or 2 lurking around the structures , if, the baits there .... still should be some bream around the racks etc and the good ol'e lizards still waiting for a feed along the dropoffs and edges... the tailors are around for the beach angler with good sizes sure to be available...dawn and dusk the go ...

and with a bit of luck it wont rain too much on us ... :laugh:

cheers

Maxi

Gazza wrote:

Cheers Gaz

We will be using a laptop with Windows XP and will be able to take SD and XD memory cards (which cover nearly all cameras nowadays) and also will be able to plug in your USB cable into the laptop if you want to do it that way and use the Microsoft Windows XP inbuilt Camera Wizard, so if your camera does not use an SD or XD memory card or needs special software you won't be able to submit entries. We also ask that you use proper cameras rather than mobile phone cameras as the quality of image by most mobiles is poor and the legibility, especially when we need clear accurate measurements, may be the difference between winning and losing. If we can't clearly see the whole fish and the brag mat in the same photo (and if required zoom in to see the measurements) then we will favour an entry that we can clearly see the length.

ellicat wrote:

Who told the weather gods that I was heading down next weekend ? :pinch: :angry:

Think I might leave the rods at home :unsure: [img size=599]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ballina.jpg

THat foresast sucks but if I know anything it's "things can change". I bloody hope so.

I can see from that forecast live bait will be the best bet.

Ok A reminder to all travelling down from Queensland,

1. You need a NSW fishing licence. you can get them on line if you dont already have one. They start at $6 for 3 days

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

2. If you going to keep a feed, the rules on fishing and fish sizes in NSW are different. Have a read here

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations

noname wrote:

that low pressure system is still relatively high at 1005, to be compared with the low pressure system off s.a. at 965. still very fishable. as i'm guessing it's a pretty protected place to fish.

It's not just how low the low is. The High that the wind will come from is 1030 which is relatively high to the low. The winds will be strong S / SE / E.

if the rain shuts the river down, theres still the beach option, the bream will probably push out into that area. Plenty of species can be caught from the beach.

Hopefully we won't need a plan B. With so many people fishing it for the first time, it would be a pity for them to go home with a negative view of such a great spot.

tomca wrote:

if the rain shuts the river down, theres still the beach option, the bream will probably push out into that area. Plenty of species can be caught from the beach.

Hopefully we won't need a plan B. With so many people fishing it for the first time, it would be a pity for them to go home with a negative view of such a great spot.

The beach is always good down there.

SOme fish like flathead become easier to catch when the water murks up as well.

Aside from that, when the tides push in on the Bruns they bring huge amounts of water in. Often low tide can be murky as hell but high tide its crystal a good km up river.

Anyway, failing these things working in out favour, there is a large campsite with good people willing to have a beer with :P

Angus

Archived