Redclaw My Method.

rayke1938

Thought I would put up a post how I set up my red-claw pots.

I only use Jervis Walker opera house traps as they have a 3 inch diameter opening.

P3280581AFO.jpg

Whilst some of the others have a 4inch opening.

P3280580AFO.jpg

You can see that the soft drink bottle passes straight through the opening.

My experience with the large opening traps is that if the bait runs out or the red-claw have had enough to eat they can escape easily.

Bait,

I use small plastic decor brand containers purchased from big w at $12 for 10.

I drill holes in the sides and the top.

P3280573AFO.jpg

For bait I use a small handful dried cat food ( any kind with fish flavour )and then top up the container with tinned cat food. ( Using snappy tom whole fish at the moment as the 400 gram tins are on special at IGA for 80 cents.)

When the dried pellets expand they force some of the tinned food out through the holes and acts as a burley.

Works out at around 25 cents a bait.

I make up my bait in advance and store it in the bait freezer.

P3280571AFO.jpg

I slide home made clips ( I make them from the stainless steel inner of outboard remote cables)through the top of the clip on lid and through one of the holes in the side of the container.

P3280575AFO.jpg

I use a cable tie inside the trap.

P3280579AFO.jpg

And just clip the bait to the tie. It is easy to replace the bait when servicing the traps.

P3280577AFO.jpg

I attach the tie rope to the front of the pot rather than the side where the rope is attached when you buy some of the traps. If the rope is attached to the side the traps pick up twice as much weed and are much harder to pull in to service.

P3280582AFO.jpg

I coil the rope loosely inside the open pot and stash them in the bow.

P3280584AFO.jpg

P3280585AFO.jpg

I tie the floats on to the floats when I drop the pots. I have around 25 feet of rope on each pot. I tie the floats together to stop them blowing out of the boat whilst travelling.

P3280586AFO.jpg

P3280587AFO.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

This is the method that i use and have found it to be cost efficient and takes less time to service the pots and still have a good catch rate.

Cheers

Ray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bunp for ozlad.

I have changed my bait to dried cat pellets and a small square of yellowbelly,tandanus or bass fillet. The tinned cat food stinks to high heaven after a couple of days and really permeates the carpet and still lingers even after hosing.

After 2 days the pellets have disolved and there is just the small square of fish left in the bait holder.

I have tried gar but it doesnt last as long as the other fish.I only use it as a last resort.

Cheers

Ray

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived