hey everyone,

i thought i'd quickly introduce myself.

my name's Kelly and i'm looking for some good spots in brissy to do some fishing. all my female friends think i'm weird that like fishing and no-one will come out with me, so i'm also hoping to make some new friends as the hubby wont come out with me either and it's not much fun heading out by yourself all the time.

i spent a lot of my childhood fishing and crabbing, as my family owned a houseboat on the hawksbry river in NSW and then a fishing charter boat in Hervey Bay, but since i moved to brissy i rarely venture out and i'm hoping to change that.

so, if you have any tips on where's a good spot around the Logan area, i'd love to hear them.

thanks for your time.

Kelly.

hi and welcome to the site,

have you got a tinny, or are you landbased?

there are some decent spots down there, how far are you willing to travel? theres fish to be caught everywhere around the gold coast area. the GC seaway at the spit, nerang river, canal and lake systems etc. Download a copy of google earth and have a quick scout around you should find the goods. I haven't done any landbased fishing at the coast but anywhere you can access the canals etc should produce, the coomera and nerang rivers are well worth a look under the bridges etc

good luck

dan

hey dan,

thanks for your reply. no, unfortunately I dont have a boat. :(

i'm willing to drive down to the gold coast or up to redcliffe if it's a nice day and i can do some swimming aswell and make a day out of it.

i've checked out the area around the spit before but haven't actually fished there (i'm into photography too so i tend to roam around a lot), are you talking about the canal bit in between south straddy and the mainland? or off the jetty itself?

as i eat the fish that i catch, i'm a bit iffy about fishing in the canals and around marinas etc (as well as in the brisbane river. lol.) are they safe to eat? or could they be affected by all the boat crap in the water?

i'll have to check out the coomera and nerang rivers. thanks for the tip!

Kell.

the rocks at the GC seaway right at the spit is what i mean, theres good fish to be had there. my mate recently got an 80cmish GT landbased there. To be honest i have no problems eating fish from the river or canals. Some may disagree and obviously if there is something wrong with them i wont drop dead the day after eating them, but i release way more than i keep so i'm not constantly eating fish out of the system.

if you want to head to brisbane there are some decent spots to soak baits in the river, a good place to start is newstead park however i probably wouldn't bother making the drive when you could drive shorter distances to the areas down your way. i guess it depends what sort of fish you're after, you're not too likely to get into the threadfin salmon in the GC canals and you're not likely to hit up the trevs and jacks in the brissie river.

Have a search through old reports as well, you can pick up some really good info. search GC canals or whatever area you wanna fish.

You can also try a bit north of you at the manly/wynnum area. the mudflats near lota creek have produced some good fish and its not hard to get to

cheers

dan

i will have to try out the rocks at GC spit then i think. it's a nice area. also brissy river is only about 15-20 mins away, so it's not too far.

soak baits in the river.. haha. i like that phrase!

yeah, i mainly go after bream as i'm only little and i'm not sure i could handle a big rod to catch anything much bigger... (those surf rods are heavy!) but anything that i can just throw on the barbie whole would be good.

do you know much about jacob's well area?

welcome to the site kelly, very strange situation you have there when your keen on fishing but the hubby isnt lol if you type logan river into the the search engine for the forum you should find some useful info for spots close to home. enjoy

kriso

thanks kriso,

yeah, hubby's the indoors type and i'm the outdoors one. lol. weird hey? he'd rather be sitting in front of the telly watching football than outside doing stuff, so i just go out by myself instead. it's all good. :)

thanks for the tip about the search engine! i hadn't gotten around to checking out what else is on the site yet. just discovered it today.

i think a great place to start for your kind of fish then would be the mudflats at lota creek, plenty of flathead in the bbq size there going by past reports

get some waders and good boots and wade out nearing low tide, casting to the edge of the channel

sorry i don't know much about jacobs well, i know theres good flathead all throughout the jumpinpin system but never actually fished it. not sure about landbased access either

Welcome

Theres a sandy beach at Colmslie next to the trawler moorings that produce flathead and bream landbased.

Don't forget to keep an eye out for the going fishing notices, there is often spots on offer on boats, or spare kayaks, or just fish landbased with likemided folk.

Good luck and looking forward to your reports

Tom

hey tom,

where abouts are the going fishing notices hiding? might be a good place to meet some new people. is it in the forum section? and i've just had my eyes closed? lol.

colmslie, i'll have to look that one up on whereis.com i'm afraid. i've never heard of that place before. :S sounds like what i'm after though. thanks for the advice.

Hi and welcome,

Colmslie is a good spot for a bash, a few of us usually go there at least once during the week, even tho we have boats its a good social place to fish off the jetty, lots of catfish but the odd threddie and so on come through, good cash netting also so theres always bait, its at the end of col gardner way behind the hockey fields at colmslie

Sheesh... another one added to the AFO ranks! Come on fella's, we are being over run!

Nah only kidding Kell, welcome to the site. There is massive amounts on information already answered on the forums and if you cant find an answer to what you are looking for, then yell out and someone will put in their 2 bobs worth. You mentioned about Jacobs Well area, I have posted a couple of times about both land and boat based areas to fish there.

I think there are a couple of meets coming up, so keep an eye out on the events section and snaffle up a spot in a boat if up for grabs.

Cheers,

hey kelly chic,if u check out my thread in the going fishing section i have a spot for one person on my boat next monday on the brizzy river,early start.if interested let me know.im very happily married if your hubby needs to know.cheers,paul

hey,usually put in at fisherman island boat ramp around 5am,i come from burleigh so can pick you up on the way,i think your profile said underwood,so probably 4am.i fish till whatever,let me know what plans you have,sometimes i fish all day,sometimes for a few hours then head down to the gold coast for the arvo.depends on whats biting and the tides.im easy

Hey Kelly and welcome aboard.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but if you want to get out and have a fish and meet a stack of the crew, the Swap Meet in May will be an awesome chance to do this. Souinds like a lot of good sorts are going so it should be good.

Cheers.

Angus

gday kelly, welcome :) there is many lanbased spots to fish for bream along the brisbane river, places like kangaroo point , story bridge , newfarm , norman creek, brekky creek , kingsford smith drive, bretts wharf, pinkenba boat ramp sandy bank to the left just to name a few spots likely to get a bream using the humble prawn.... good luck in your future adventures ....

Archived