fishing the four beacons

fishinking

hey guys just wondering if anyone has fished the four beacons in moreton bay before. I went there for a short bait fishing and soft plastic session at the closest beacon to tangalooma and anchored about 20m to the right of the beacon. for the people that have fished there what rig, technique and which side or which beacon did u fish.

i need quite abit of advice for fishing the bay as we will be fishing there quite often with the fathers new 60ft cruiser.

thanks in advance

nathan

not really the sort of boat used to fish the beacons, people drift mostly. need to be very close to the beacons. and as the current absolutely roars there i would not recomend anchoring there, no matter how big the anchor is. it will drag, hit the beacon and every1 will be talking about how the hell the beacon wasn't spotted.. beacon, what beacon.

yeah thats true but the thing is i dont know what to use and what spot to go to. i know theres hutchies and deep tempest which ill have to go one time but i think ill take someone on board who knows what they're doing at the spots as i dont want to head out that far and just anchor and drop a bait to no avail. if anyone on this sight knows alot about offshore and is keen to go out one time ill be sure to let them know next time we go if you dont mind putting up with the whole fam.

Mate if knew anything about the four beacons I'd be happy to answer your question as I read you have a centre console as a tender which would be perfect to get get up close to the beacons while having the 60 close by.

What a great chance to fish them morning have sleep then fish again at night or whatever.

yeh thanks malcolm. what do u get at jurasic park? have u ever fished there mate? we will most likely head to some far out spots if the weather is good as i dont like getting sick haha. has anyone been to hutchies or something like that? If someone who has fished out offshore and has good experience out on the reefs and knows what to do out there we could always do with someone out there to show us what to do on the reefs and catch some good fish because let me tell you fuel is not cheap so its a bummer if u go all that way and catch jack all.

cheers

it's called jurasic park for a reason, everything is big, but out past the shelf is on par if not better. hutchies can be good at times, but can also shut down for a good period like everywhere, deep tempest has a lot of squire there at the moment. haven't heard much from wide caloundra or the banks yet, but getting very close to big snapper time in close off moolloolaba, like you said fuel's not cheap, and i'm not dragging the boat up there for nothing.

yeah and the thing is you have to drive the 60fter all the way up there and that almost comes 500-1000$ in petrol. have you ever fished hutchies as we're thinking of going out that way next trip or deep tempest but want to take someone who knows what to fish with out there.

don't waste your time going there. you would be better off spending the night down near bulwer, inside moreton. i have fished hutchies a lot in my day. but to many people fish it now so i've moved on. a lot of small stuff there with the odd monster hiding there too, but not many are hooked. i'm sure some one would jump at the chance to go with you all, surprise me if you got no takers!

From the river you got a pretty big haul to get to the big blue top of cape Morten would be the go :ohmy: but stay on the nth side (shipping channels) of the gap as the closer to Morten you get the shallower it get's (10-12ft and likes to stand up :woohoo: )

but once your out front flinders fishes well as does most of the marks out there (Hutchies ,brenan shoals etc both the tempests can fire but it's a long haul :(

Barwon banks heard heaps about em (all good) but it has it's good days and bad from what I have read :huh:

have you got any pics of ya boat bud to give us a better idea of what it;s suited for

Gaz

no secret to the gear used, myself i use gary howard rods in the 10/15 kilo range, with a sustain 8000, accurate cr20, with 30 and 50 lb braid, use a floater when anchored, and bottom bash when drifting, along with a floater rig with a good sinker attached, don't want it near the bottom.

oh really, what do u catch out there. do you jig at the deep one? heres the link to the website of the boat company its this model but has just a few more accesories like rails on the back platform which we will be putting rod holders on soon.
/>http://www.kingfisher-cruisers.com/56.html

yep i jigg the deep wreck, if you can get past the yellow tail kingies and aj's there are good snapper to be had along with the odd pearlie, but like i say getting past the vermon is the hard part, it's not fun when you hook 1 of these buggars either as they are big, not uncommon to get them around 30 kilo plus. had a pearlie around the 4 kilo mark, absolutely got smashed by a bloody big aj. lucky to get my gear back with that fella.

fishinking wrote:

ahh true. what do u use over the reefs and that kind of thing. also do u drift or anchor usually? If you want to come out one day on the boat to have a fish when we go out one day offshore or something you are more than welcome to come.
no way not on that, i'd be to paranoid about blood on the deck, although i am careful, if a sinker hit the side,:ohmy: sorry mate i think i would just feel to uncomfortable ay.

fishinking wrote:

yeah thats fine mate. i dont know what the old man is gonna be like when myself and others decorate the boat with blood and guts. thats why i prefer lures on the boat haha.

what boat do you normally go out to the wrecks in?

my tiny lil 19 foot haines. 685 cruise craft outsider, 7 mtr coastal cat centre console, another 7 mtr coastal cat with a wheel house and in 20 other boats at times, it all depends on who wants to take their boat for a spin and charge the batteries.

i know the 4 beacons well and its a good spot for the family if the offshore is to much for them. mackerel and cobia are regulars at the beacons and you can anchor there but use your tender and use lots of rope out and your chain length should be as long as the boat. use a bait jig and get some livies next to the beacon and float some pilchards out under floats as well as some with sinkers. there is a video on fishing them on brownies coast watch web site on fishing the beacons and its good info. drifting them in your tender works but i like to anchor so you can get a livie out as well

good luck mark

Archived