Gazza

Advice to deckies spots

Im not a boat owner but i dont see why deckies cant be a good decky contribute with the cleaning etc.

Do you wash your plate after eating off it yes?

Its just and everyday thing that you clean something after using but i know after some long trips on friends boats up in hervey bay its a struggle to do anything when you get back to base but thats when a beer comes in. If everyone pitchs in it doesnt take to long to get the boat cleaned and everything else done. With the fuel and bait it cant be that much of trouble if you go landbased fishing after buying bait or some more lures and nibblies and petrol for your car your getting up to the same amount as you would chip in to be on the boat plus your getting to some better fishing grounds and there was a good point i was reading before about catching a feed of fish and buying some fresh fish from a shop or supermarket would be alot more also you wouldnt like to be on a fishing charter and the deckie on there did nothing for you and you had to fend for yourself so guys take that into consideration.

On a side note im loving my job atm getting paid to be a deckie instead of paying to be a deckie. I have only just started being a deckie but over there years of going on different charters the charters i liked the most was the charters that had a good crew. Thats why when i deckie I'd prefer to stand there and bait there hook and take off every fish for them and cater to there needs instead of me standing next to them with my rod out not helping the customers

I am a boat owner and often take people out, guys from work, mates ect. Rather than giving people an itemised bill at the end of the trip why cant deckies just know if your going out on someones boat offer three things, a few bucks for fuel, a roast chook and bread rolls, and a hand to clean up (understanding if your going offshore it may cost more) but hey if you were going offshore anyway then whats the big deal. Lets just get back to common courtesy, like when people used to leave a tall beer in your pot if they pinched your crabs, now they just cut the floats off sometimes I doubt they even check the pots. Lets not become winging old farts and be grateful we have a boat and can show soeone who doesnt a good time. There are pleanty of good blokes on this website, and its your boat, so if you meet someone you dont like, dont take em again.. simple as that

Please login or register to see this quote.

^^^Mate we were luck to make it back from mud. I found out what's wrong with the motor, theres a short in the wiring against the top of the motor/ no.1 spark plug causing it too only run on one cylinder. Don't know how too fix it or what its gonna cost. But hopefully I can get it done before christmas, (although I doubt it) so we can go hit that drop off on a high tide.

Damn that's lucky, would have been a long ass paddle back. Hopefully doesn't take much too fix Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(" srcset="//content.invisioncic.com/r264089/emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

deckies should read this one too Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="//content.invisioncic.com/r264089/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/general-boating/433845-advice-to-prospective-deckies#436411

Gezz we went through a few boxes of tallies back then aye but the pots were allways full but I think we only left a bottle in every second pot Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/default_tongue.png" alt=":P" srcset="//content.invisioncic.com/r264089/emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

I just work on what you pay for or you bring determines if you get an invite on the next trip I guess its like paying it forward. A mate of mine tows his camper trailer whilst I tow the boat and our passengers pay for fuel and food, any one who shot changes us only gets one trip, and goes on our **** list. I don't let anyone clean my boat I'm VERY particular on how its done so I am not bothered about that and so is my mate with his camper. Its when the deckies bring a bag of chips and half a carton of beer, for a weekend, grinds my gears. 

Pay your way to get your next trip

Over the years I have had many good deckys, one who will never be invited again. 

He asked me to take him, claimed to be a gun fisherman. Our 4 o'clock start turned into 6 o'clock, didn't have any gear, so got some at a servo. Got the most expensive stuff on the display. When I went to pay for fuel, he told the chick I would get the bill, and he also got a burger. Ouch. Insisted on using my $800 reel, bird nesting to the point of cutting of most of the line. Did manage to get a couple of snapper.. 

Got home about 6 o'clock that night, and while I was cleaning the boat, he started cleaning the fish. Turns out, he cleaned all the best fish, "his share"? And left me the uncleaned rock cod, hering and wrasse, and $20. As he claimed to be a good decky with plenty of invites, I expected him to have a good idea what a 140 hp yammy would cost to run for 10 hrs, the $20 would not cover the tackle and breakfast he got, and he kept the tackle. 

Needless to say I was always too busy to take him again. After talking to other boat owners, turns out he was well known for his stunts. 

One bad one out of the number I have taken out is fairly good odds I reckon. 

@Old Scaley - you reading this? Who wants to go first, you or me .............. 🙂 

@MSB I too had a good little chuckle reading your recount of your deckie encounter - well done for dealing with him the way he deserved to be dealt with as fishing is mean to be enjoyed, not something you grit your teeth and endure.