Slugs for the Seaway..

Hey Guys,

Off down the goldy this weekend.. A mate is bringing his boat so we're planning on throwing some slugs around the Seaway for some Trevs, Tailor, Bonito and whatever other small pelargics want to turn up at sunrise. Having only ever caught small Tailor and pike on a 25gram gold Surecatch Bishop what makes, sizes and colours of slugs am I best to try? Or if they are on will it even matter as long as it's flashy and moving?

Thanks

Chris

I dislike those Bishops, Raiders etc slugs from Surecatch and the other cheapo one.

My favourite slugs are TT Assassins, River2Sea Sea Rocks and the Rileys Rockets. So in short, the ones that are thick and have weight behind them at a small size. Quite often fish around here are feeding on small bait fish, so I don't want a big massively long 30 gram one when I can get a short one with a lot of weight in it to really sling it a mile.

Edit:

Just realised I didn't really outline why I don't like to use those.

I don't like them (personal preference of course!) becuase I think they're too long for their weight. As such I prefer to use ones that are shorter (since MOST of the baitfish I see getting bashed up by tuna are usually pretty f***ing small. Sometimes they're jellybean size bait, so my opinion is that there is no point hurling a 30g bishop out at them. Sure, some of them will hit it, but sometimes those mac tuna can be bloody fussy and not hit anything that doesn't look lik ethe bait they've zoned in on.

As such, I tend to use the brand/type of slugs that are (in comparison to a surecatch slug) rather heavy for their length and height.

Like I said, depends what species. Some will hit anything that moves. I've caught fish busting on the surface without doing anything, just it landing in the water has been enough to entice a hit. Others will only hit something that looks like the school of bait they're smashing. Always best to try and match what they're hitting :)

Great info here boys... Thanks Tez - Good luck with the Snapper over the weekend.

Will hopefully have a report on Monday.. Seems afew people have got some good sessions planned over the weekend. With any luck there will be some good reports and pictures for work on Monday :)

Nog - make sure you send afew my way mate.. :P

ive been getting some good fish on the slugs around the seaway latly pik of the bunch at the moment is the halco 25g up to 40g gold and chrome slugg.. if u go around the north wall and cast into the breaking water at straddie u will be sure to find some quality fish

Archived