Bait I harvest from home.

tomca

I have been growing and harvesting my own bait for years now, and never really gave it much thought. So to give others a bit of an idea how easy it is I'll post a couple of things I am doing.

First is my compost heap. Its up the side of the house under a mango tree. It is just a pile of leaves and grass clippings with an old wheelbarrow over the top of it. But an old tarp will do. There are a few different crawly things that live in the layers of the heap and are easily picked up and popped in a container when you need bait. Also on the ground under it the big earthworms are right on the surface and easy to collect.

Over time I found the pile promotes more bait than a bin or enclosure, but looks a bit messier. These critters can be piled onto small hooks and everything from bream to bass will have a go.

compost.jpg

the second method I use is a worm farm I bought off ebay a couple of years ago.

All the paper and vegie scraps(except onion) go in and the red wrigglers can be bought via mail order eat about 60grams of scap a day. I fatten them up with chook pellets and they work a treat on most fish, salt and fresh.

The only downside is it takes at least a year to have a population of worms large enough to sustain mild harvesting. I usually take 40-50 worms every few weeks when I take Nickers dam fishing.

wormfarm.jpg

I keep the worm farm in the garage where its constant temp. Also the wormfarm doesn't smell so the missus won't have a sook. ;)

tomca wrote:

I have been growing and harvesting my own bait for years now, and never really gave it much thought. So to give others a bit of an idea how easy it is I'll post a couple of things I am doing.

First is my compost heap. Its up the side of the house under a mango tree. It is just a pile of leaves and grass clippings with an old wheelbarrow over the top of it. But an old tarp will do. There are a few different crawly things that live in the layers of the heap and are easily picked up and popped in a container when you need bait. Also on the ground under it the big earthworms are right on the surface and easy to collect.

Over time I found the pile promotes more bait than a bin or enclosure, but looks a bit messier. These critters can be piled onto small hooks and everything from bream to bass will have a go.

compost.jpg

Not to mention the massive big toads that jump out of that pile of compost whenever you go near it... GROSS :ohmy:

Archived