fish tank

shortie

Thanks to Ellicat i now have a

1560 x 500 x 500 fish tank

It was fun making it ourselves.

The tank is setup ready to go, currently has some sword tails in it this are now called the guinnea Fish. They are the test fish to make sure that everything is right for when the real deal Happens.

The chiclids that im getting as most are aware are coming from Adam.

I hope i enjoy this new hobbie cause it certainly isnt cheap.

Will post pics soon.

Richard IMG_0001_640x480.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah very Nice tank, fishingnut is right though, cichlids will make short work of those plants.

Are you getting African or American cichlids?

Do you just have the one powerhead filter?

I have a 6ft set up with Africans and I also run a 1500lt an hour canister filter.

See the powerhead is ok for filtering but the canister filter helps produce good backteria in your tank to help with the breakdown of Nitrates & Nitrites.

I ran my tank for a few weeks without my canister filter and got whitespot which knocked out a third of my tank :(

Get a Pleco as well, you'll never have to clean the inside glass again, they're great!!

I have a 30cm Sailfin Pleco, he's my pride and joy.

I used to breed some of the cichlids but haven't for a while.

They're so great to watch.

Cheers Devster

Devster wrote:

Yeah very Nice tank, fishingnut is right though, cichlids will make short work of those plants.

I have a 6ft set up with Africans and I also run a 1500lt an hour canister filter.

See the powerhead is ok for filtering but the canister filter helps produce good backteria in your tank to help with the breakdown of Nitrates & Nitrites.

I ran my tank for a few weeks without my canister filter and got whitespot which knocked out a third of my tank :(

Get a Pleco as well, you'll never have to clean the inside glass again, they're great!!

Cheers Devster

Im going to make my own external canister filter. Just have to source a deep fryer oil drum.

Im not paying $400 plus for 1

mine will hold 2 to 3 times as much media and use a pond pump to drive it.

They are gunna be africans

shortie wrote:

Devster wrote:

Cheers Devster

Im going to make my own external canister filter. Just have to source a deep fryer oil drum.

Im not paying $400 plus for 1

mine will hold 2 to 3 times as much media and use a pond pump to drive it.

They are gunna be africans

aww too bad. africans are nice dont forget to make sure that your PH level is at least 8.0 they tend to fade below that(colors) if you can get them there frontosas are nice. if you decide on a south american see if you can get a cichlasoma dovii aka wolf cichlid they have fangs. good luck with the tank. also here is a canister filter that is one of the best imo. and it isnt too bad on price

/>http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsCA/ctl3684/cp17290/si1382920/cl0/eheimfilter2217pluskit

Archived