fish tank

shortie

post-6374-144598589827_thumb.jpg

Ive got 11 African haps(cichlids) need to get a bigger tank as they are rapidly outgrowing my current one.

Ive also got a little 8lt tank that i have a bunch of japanese Rice fish i cought at a lake, cant remember its name, its not far from lake samsonvale. guess somone had them as pet fish and released them there and now they are breeding out of controll. ill prob feed them to my cichlids lol.

Later-

Are you sure they are Rice Fish Oryzias latipes

A pic would be appreciated if possible.

cheers

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
Hes looking good shortie.

Jacks are FOTM ?

Can we enter our pets/broodstock ellicat :whistle:

As long as you catch it and use the right hand signal and get the correct photos I'm pretty sure it's within the rules. Not so sure it would be in the spirit of the rules though. :dry:

I know you were joking. I liked to play the reply with a straight face some times :P

I've changed my style over the last 12 months Steve. I've got plants that grow in the ground with roots now, instead of the ones that cling on to the glass :lol: I no longer need a net to count the fish :blush:

It's too addictive keeping tanks :dry: you start with one then two then one day you look around saying I'm going to need a bigger house :blink:

I started off with tropicals as a kid along with some tinfoils that refused to die no matter how much I ignored them. After a short hiatus no half measures with 5 and 6 foot display tanks being backed up by two banks of breeding tanks. Was super into guppies of all things with monster tails as well as top, bottom and double sword tail guppies. Progressed from a range of tropicals into cichlids but it started to become all too much with everything else and the hobby imploded on me.

Had a few forays into salt water with whiting, butterfish, and a few others proving awkward to keep alive with the effort I put into them. Keeping 5 to 8 legal tailor for up to a week as guaranteed lives also happened more than a few times. Only have a bank of a dozen odd sized tanks left these days with the only water in them in the last few years from the rain this week because I have had to move them out into the yard. :( Soon to be ebayed I guess.

No space, no time, no money for them any more but damn how easy is it to mellow out and just watch fish do their thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is your Jacks colour going shortie.

If you want RED RED

1. Stop feeding him goldfish

2. ph 8

3. Salinity 5ppt

4. Nitrates 20ppm or less, have to do those water changes or invest in something to remove them.

5. Get him on some good carnivore pellets ie. Massivore or Barra grower pellets

6. Whole Prawns after the pellet

Will be suffering from vitamin B deficiency as a result of thiaminase in the gold fish stick a bit of multivitamin pill at comparitive dose per weight to humans in a chunk of prawn and feed it to him every day.

If you want RED RED

2. ph 8

3. Salinity 5ppt

4. Nitrates 20ppm or less, have to do those water changes or invest in something to remove them.

Will be suffering from vitamin B deficiency as a result of thiaminase in the gold fish stick a bit of multivitamin pill at comparitive dose per weight to humans in a chunk of prawn and feed it to him every day.

It's Xmas time so I'm guessing the jack will be in for a bit of prawn.

Couldn't agree more about the goldfish thing. I bred two jacks that I'd fed almost entirely with gold fish. The result of the breeding was they had thiaminase twins. True story :dry: :lol:

If you want RED RED

2. ph 8

3. Salinity 5ppt

It's Xmas time so I'm guessing the jack will be in for a bit of prawn.

Couldn't agree more about the goldfish thing. I bred two jacks that I'd fed almost entirely with gold fish. The result of the breeding was they had thiaminase twins. True story :dry: :lol:

You're insane :lol:

Ha Ha thats a good one. Will use it for sure ;)

I love Jacks sad to see what happens to them too often.

Hate selfish pricks who keep undersized ones with no idea of how to acclimate them, keep them healthy or even alive.

Shortie is gonna love that description of him. :P :woohoo: :lol:

On a serious note, thanks for the info. Shortie's jack will look even better.......on the plate on Good Friday 2012 hehe

Ha Ha thats a good one. Will use it for sure ;)

I love Jacks sad to see what happens to them too often.

Hate selfish pricks who keep undersized ones with no idea of how to acclimate them, keep them healthy or even alive.

Shortie is gonna love that description of him. :P :woohoo: :lol:

On a serious note, thanks for the info. Shortie's jack will look even better.......on the plate on Good Friday 2012 hehe

:lol: not a description of shortie he bought his and it has not carked it yet :)

Jack is looking great.

He only get goldfish when i have people over that want a feeding show.

Other than that he eats High protein Barra Pellets. and the occasional Jade perch fingerling.

I added salt to the tank. About 2kg in the 100ltr tank.

Its colour is awesome. He is a coppery colour. He isn't deep red.

I've seen jacks whilst diving and they vary in colour naturally anyway.

• 10 months later...

Archived