rod and reel setup for sharking

iqarus

im going shopping in the next few days to buy a new rod and reel suited to big game trolling as well as sharking.

pretty much set on a lever drag over head reel, havent got a clue about rods really.

im going to be chasing bullies in and around the bris river, logan river and broadwater and want to use the same combo to go out wide and hunt some mackies and tuna.

any and all suggestions are welcome, although id love some opinions on the okuma titus T-30 reel as BCF have a rod/reel combo with that for around $250. seems like a bargain :cheer:

i have most of my tackle set up for the bullies already, 100lb 47 strand nylon coated loader, with 200lb crimps. 10/0 circle hook on one end and a 180lb ball bearing swivel on the other. do i need some heavy nylon leader between the wire and my main line ?

and what poundage main line should i be using ? some people have said 20lb mono is fine, others said nothing less than 80lb braid.

cheers,

My friends and I landed a 7ft Bullshark on 50lb mainline earlier this year mate... For bigger sharks you should definately run 80. Sharking gear isn't cheap though.. It's a very expensive business to do properly. Just ask Terry. For small bullies around the river you can definately get away with 20lb.. It's all about the trace. They wont run you for the snags so like to duke it out in open water. The main way you lose them is through bite off's and when they roll and tangle the leader on their bodies resulting in cutting the line.

Good Luck.

Chris

. 1-20090915-2.jpg

post-5149-144598505951_thumb.jpg

as usual i got a bit antsy and went and talked to the owner of a local tackle shop for nearly an hour,

ended up walking out with a pflueger torsion 30L overhead lever drag reel, and a torsion 15-24kg stand up 5'6 rod, 50lb super braid a new gimble and some plastics for the flatties and bream ill keep myself busy with.

rod and reel cost me $199, not as flash the okuma combo i was looking at but ah well.

i have a tackle fetish so ill probably spend the difference on hooks :silly:

Do$tylz, everything i bought today (few bits and pieces that i didnt list) cost me $350 which realistically is $200 less than what i was going to spend on alot less stuff at BCF. this tackle shop now has my total loyalty, BCF can bugger off.

Cowfish13, some big bastards would be nice, but im actually chasing them for a feed so around the 1.5 meter mark would be great. prepped right, shark tastes great :cheer:

anyone have any tips where to fish for bullies near the broadwater in arundal/labrador area ?

I go bull riding in the Logan river, I use my mideum/heavy boat rod with 20LB mojiko braid with 40LB flurocarbon leader and 80LB Flurocarbon trace with 7/0 hooks and a small running ball sinker. I mainly fish around the islands that are about 500m upstream from marks rocks and use live podies and hearing caught in the general area, I had a great by catch at the start of last year there, a beautiful 84cm dusky :woohoo: I released her!

Archived