What braid is the best for baitcasters?

Time_Bandit

power pro. ive tried so many braids it isnt funny. i always go to power pro. best knot and abrasian resistance of the braids ive tried. ive found a new one. but im still in the testing phase i need to go beat the hell out of it and try power casting 3oz weight with it. ill tell you guys when i can get to fish.

Feral wrote:

I use the same braid spinning or baitcasters, I've not noticed any particular characteristics that would a brand of braid suitable for one and not the other.

Thats what i've found so far but havent used a wide range of braids, super p.e and fireline mainly both good but good for different types of fishing, super p.e definately casts alot better.

are braids really as visible under water as some people make out? if so whats the best length of leader to use, i use a long leader anyway, normally bout the length of the rod, is that too much or too little, i seem to catch fish but it cant hurt to know if theres a better technique out there.

i use leader, about a rod length, fishing the river means nothing to line vis, but fishing clearer waters to the south it would pay to double the leader length, further north i dont think it matters cos the fish are all angry up there and hit anything :laugh:

i always use 75cm of leader. it hasnt affected my fishing. i used to use 100 lb braid with a 150lb braid leader. i still caught fish. although we were fishing for sturgeon.

the reason we use 150 lb brad for leaders. sturgeon have armored scutes along their body. when they surface they roll. most mono gets cut this way. we also use 100 lb steel leaders but braid lays flatter on the floor

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1I4n_n7rkY&feature=channel_page

some of the pro's up north also use braid as a leader. for the same diameter (not strength) Geoff Wilson the knot messiah, found braid is more abrasion resistant.

i think it depends on the fish and water clarity. the shortest lifespan of any group of animals on the planet are on a reef, it's a seriously dangerous place to be if you are a little (or big) fishy.

as for the braids, i think you have to look at their real diameter, how strong the line really is, how many strands of braid (fireline isn't actually a braid and was designed for spin gear). in general, Japanese braid is thinner, has a more accurate breaking strain and higher thread count which makes it rounder, better casting and smoother. but then you pay more for it.

Time_Bandit wrote:

are braids really as visible under water as some people make out? if so whats the best length of leader to use, i use a long leader anyway, normally bout the length of the rod, is that too much or too little, i seem to catch fish but it cant hurt to know if theres a better technique out there.

ALL fishing line & leader is visible UNDERWATER. They may claim that you can't see it but thats looking at it from above the water, put a pair of goggles on jump in the water and you will see the line easily. When diving places like the tweed river mouth, usually you see the line trailing in the water before you see the snagged lure or sinker and hook.

apoklyps60 wrote:

i always use 75cm of leader. it hasnt affected my fishing. i used to use 100 lb braid with a 150lb braid leader. i still caught fish. although we were fishing for sturgeon.

the reason we use 150 lb brad for leaders. sturgeon have armored scutes along their body. when they surface they roll. most mono gets cut this way. we also use 100 lb steel leaders but braid lays flatter on the floor

VIDEO REMOVED FROM QUOTE

They're a very solid looking fish mate.

LOL @ 1.00...inconsiderate woman :laugh:

LOL @ 4.58..."Honey, don't give up" As If !!

It didn't hurt the fight that he is built like a docking pilon (no insult intended).

He must have been a bit nervous with that fellas netting skills(?) :laugh:

Thanks for putting up the vid.

ellicat wrote:

apoklyps60 wrote:

VIDEO REMOVED FROM QUOTE

They're a very solid looking fish mate.

LOL @ 1.00...inconsiderate woman :laugh:

LOL @ 4.58..."Honey, don't give up" As If !!

It didn't hurt the fight that he is built like a docking pilon (no insult intended).

He must have been a bit nervous with that fellas netting skills(?) :laugh:

Thanks for putting up the vid.

yeah the wifey support is hilarious. then the music got irritating. dude was low to the ground(short) so he had a low center of gravity. :laugh: ive caught 2 sturgeon over size limit. so yeah they run and run and run. ahh i miss fishing for them.

we were in my friends shop testing the izorline xxx super copolymer 4lb and it was snapping consistently at 8lbs out of 20 breaks it was 8.1 lbs average. i dont really use mono (a single polymer filament) we use a copolymer which is a 2 polymer filament. good abrasion resistance and small diameter. the only thing it does have a bit of stretch. but ive brought a shopping trolly up a pier with 15 lb test p-line. oh i got a free rapala cd14 magnum of that trolley too. but i digress. i use p-line and izorline copolymers only other than braid.

Archived