looking for light spinning combo

tobie10

Hi all,

I'd like to get into soft plastics so I'm on the lookout for a decent spinning combo.

Something like...

6ish to 7 foot rod, up to 4kg line weight, definitely two piece

around 2500 size reel

all up around $100 or less

...would be fantastic!

Not looking for something spectacular, just a decent outfit and better than my decomposing jarvis walker reel. Saw a decent shimano combo for about $120 new, just thought I might be able to up the ante by going used.

Cheers,

juls!

2500 isn't light? Haha! but it looks so small...

Yeah I saw the ad but I thought it was too mini for me...I'd be doing mostly estuary or ocean spinning so thought I could use a bigger capacity, but open to opinions. Just starting out as I've said. If I hear a good argument I might shoot the dude with the daiwa a pm :)

imo 2000 or 2500 size is a good place to start. its not too big to chase bream with, but it will also handle bigger fish if need be. 1000's may be stretching the friendship if you hook on to something larger.

so far the largest i've caught on my 2500 stradic is a 1.1m threadie, and the reel wasn't really overworked at all, so that size reel should sort you out with most fish in the river (as long as you pair it with a decent rod)

i really like 1000 and 1500 size reels for chucking sp's about then i have a heavier outfit for chucking bigger stuff around, 3000 sol and td advantage. if you buy the 1000 i have a 2 peice sahara bream stick that has had hardly any use at all for the left over $40 its a 2-4lb. i honestly think 2500 will be 2 big/heavy for constant casting when it comes to lures for bream etc, i have a also pulled in a 80cm barra on a 1000 sienna and bream raider rod from the barra park @ bli bli no worries. ( i know the fish there dont exactly play dirty or anything but still give an allright run on the light stuff.)

Mate for $150 i got a pflueuger trion and a daiwa caprice 1500 at bcf brand new .I then put 4 lb firline on it now this all up was around $180 i no u only wanted to spend around 100 but if you pay a little extra you will get a better outfit.This is my 1st sp and small hard body rod and its great i use it almost every weekend never let me down.

cheers sean

i actually had a look in my garage to see if i have a light combo to sell

i have a daiwa cy2000 spin on a 1-3kg daiwa procaster rod. its not bad for a 1st plastics setup, the rod is fairly light and you'd have trouble keeping a thready under control but it will do fine for bream/flathead etc. i'll let it go for 90 bucks if ya interested, feel free to inspect and have a play

youll actually find you can cast lighter lures longer on a 2000/ 2500 reel than a 1000. im converted to 2506 rcs spools for everything now. light enough to flick plastics all day, cast light lures a mile and has the grunt for anything.

and as far as the combo goes, i recommend a 2-4kg 2pc 6'6 catana rod with something like a sienna 2500. that will give you good versatility from bream - snapper

i do! haha

both extremes are fun imo, depending on the species and place. i.e its no fun skulldragging 30cm bream in open water, but when you fish heavy and lock up you can really feel the power of the fish, whereas when you fish light, you have less brute force control and need to coax the fish in a different way to prevent getting stitched up around structure, and you get to experience the runs and line burning. different ways to get the same kick i guess!

Haha! I reckon I prefer to winch in fish atm as well :) I'd rather pull something out of the water instead have me pulled into the water. I met a dog today that weighed as much as I do...so yeah, could use a bit of muscle ;) Did Kriso and Nadders get my PM by the way? I seem to be having problems with people receiving my pm lately...

i got a rod and a reel at the tinny and tackle show ,60$ each think .

u can get the reel now for 40 or 50 $.

its a ATC hardstick dropshot light and a rovex aureus 1500.

i think it's bloody great .

light and still going and i don't treat my gear that good.

i bought a few which was a good idea.

the light and medium in the ATC hardstick dropshots.

also bought 2 real cheapies at 30$ a rod outer marks light and medium.

it was a good idea as i have snapped my medium ATC and my light outermarks.

broke them being careless and in a hurry and the braid was around the tip and snapped the tips offs.

light 2 to 4 kg .bream ,bass ,yellow etc for my light fishing .

medium 4 to 6 kg .flathead ,snapper ,barra etc my heavier fish .

that was my plan with these rods and matching reels.

so i spent 200$ on rods and got 4 rods .broke 2 lost 100$ no biggie and still got 2 rods.

also i got the 30$ rods for the kids to use and abuse .

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much settled on getting a Shimano Sedona 2500FD reel. I've been scouring the internet for the the cheapest buys and was just wondering if you guys/girls know anywhere in Australia that's best? Cheapest seems Ocean Storm Tackle so far...or else I'm going to have to find someone coming back from the States! :)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: The conclusion of the cheap light spinning combo odyssey

Yesterday I saw a BCF ad come up for a Sienna 2500FD and Shimano Sonic Pro 7' 2-4 kg combo for $79. It was a step down from what I was looking for, but thought it was a pretty good deal and would probably withstand some abuse with less heartache (eg: breaking a very expensive graphite rod!). The guy that helped me out was awesome, giving me recommendations for basic flattie-targeting soft plastic gear and helping me set up the lot with mono-backer, braid, and then fluro leader + giving me tips on handling graphite rods and braid knots.

Took the combo out for a spin on the Brisbane side of the Hornibrook bridge the same day with some 2" Gulp banana prawn shrimp on 1/8 size 1 TT jigs. Cast pretty well even in the annoying wind, a little tip heavy, and okay sensitive...? Thought it was good, but don't know how good - really wouldn't know, but sensitivity was excellent in comparison to my fibreglass boat rod :P. Anyways, kept getting bits of my shrimp chewed off by pickers...I'm guessing bream?

P1020371.JPG

Had a good time sorting things out and can see why lure fishing is so fun, and why lure buying is so addictive..heh. First time using soft plastics, first time using jig heads, and first time using braid! Think I need a lot of practice seeing as I couldn't hookup anything, but look forward to landing my first whatever on sps!

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me recommendations or offered to sell some gear!

sounds like you got yourself a good first sp outfit at the right price as it gets more addictive and you start hooking into the fish you no doubt like most of use will end up "upgrading" to the more higher end rods etc but we all started somewhere and my first sp outfit was no where near as good as that lol. those nibbles are usually toad fish the little buggers love attacking sp's thats for sure. if you want to get some notches on the belt and get used to the "feeling" of hitting the plastics i recommed william gun jetty at manly there is alot of pike there that hit sp's like no tomorrow, in the daylight you can see them fighting over it. good for bait if you decide to keep some in the freezer for the next fishing trip.

Thanks for the tip Kriso - yeah might check the Gunn Jetty out. I know what you mean about upgrading, I'm already thinking about it. I figure I'll get better gear when I 'earn' it...haha.

And Brett - combo looks sweet, but won't be a couple of years before I can afford that...

I just went and parted with my $79 for the sienna/sonic pro combo. Yeah it's no high end outfit but you can't beat it for the money as a knock about outfit - will probably use it in the yak. The reel retails for $79.95 and the rod for $59.95 - so free rod really. I've been using sienna's for years and have never had problems (I now have 4.)

my first reels where sienas i think for a tuff little reel when starting out in the lureing world you cant beat them, i used my sienna 1000 for ages and then passed it on to jimmy i think and it was still working fine! the rest of my spin reels are saharas except for one sol i bought when i was feeling rich lol.

Archived