Feedback on Egrell S10 and G.Loomis SJR844IMX

Eug

Hi all,

Currently looking at a new rod for a Certate 2500 R-Custom loaded with 10lb braid. I've been looking at the G.Loomis SJR844IMX, however have been suggested to have a look at the Egrell S10 (BeaR).

I think the Egrell S10 (Egrell) sounds better on paper but I think I'll pop down to Fishhead for a feel and compare on Saturday.

Looking for an all purpose bay rod for plastics as well as some river threadies, but needs enough grunt to throw in the odd vibe and occassional light slug for kicks.

Anyone own any of these or both and have feedback on the setup? What's the warranty like on both brands.

I am also open to other alternatives around the same specs, as a rough guide around 7', 8-20lb and up to 20g weight.

Cheers

Eug

Never had any personal experience with the egrells Eug, but I've just been chatting to a fella who gets on the forums and he has nothing but praise for them.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend 10lb braid for chasing the threadies but the rod I am told is in the ballsy category.

Steve makes an excellent point about warranty on the loomis too my heavy threadfin/general heavy rod is a loomis and because of the expediter warranty i'm not afraid to push it as hard as i can

other than that mate i'm more of a baitcaster fan so can't give you much personal experience with spin sticks, but good luck finding one that matches your needs

cheers

Dan

nadders wrote:

Never had any personal experience with the egrells Eug, but I've just been chatting to a fella who gets on the forums and he has nothing but praise for them.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend 10lb braid for chasing the threadies but the rod I am told is in the ballsy category.

Steve makes an excellent point about warranty on the loomis too my heavy threadfin/general heavy rod is a loomis and because of the expediter warranty i'm not afraid to push it as hard as i can

other than that mate i'm more of a baitcaster fan so can't give you much personal experience with spin sticks, but good luck finding one that matches your needs

cheers

Dan

i normally fish 20lb for threadies dan, this is just a light 'fun' combo i'm putting together.

thanks for the advice the xpediter warranty certainly gives a bit of peace of mind.

Not that I have had my hands on a s10 for some time but would it not be a bit of overkill for a 2500 . At risk of offending some members I have 3 egrells and they are my goto rods have had repairs done buy eric no questions asked. had one loomis years ago and would not use it for a tomato stake. just my 2 cents.

flexo wrote:

Not that I have had my hands on a s10 for some time but would it not be a bit of overkill for a 2500 . At risk of offending some members I have 3 egrells and they are my goto rods have had repairs done buy eric no questions asked. had one loomis years ago and would not use it for a tomato stake. just my 2 cents.

My thoughts, I run a 3500HD on my S10, nice rod but $hit guides on the earlier models though( Eric changed the top 4 guides for me ), he has now changed to ALPS, 2500 is to small. Not familiar with the Loomis you are talking about but I run a 2500R on a BSR 852 GLX running 15lbs and its a perfect balance

Whilst eric does not give a warranty that covers breakage or misuse he is excellent with after sales service. I broke about 6 inches off the top of my s6 and that was just under a year old and fesses up to eric and he replaced it free of charge with the latest model.

You will also be supporting a local business.

Best idea drop into fishhead and have a feel of both rods. All the guys there are very6 good and not high pressure. Fisherman ( Tom ) also works there.

CHeers

Ray

thanks for info from the egrell camp Ray.

in fact i did drop in to fishhead this evening and spoke extensively with Duncan who was very helpful. i had load up the BSR 852 GLX Leighton recommended and whilst the blank itself is very very impressive, i don't like the recoil guides and the reel seat. i actually dislike the reel seats on all the gloomis unfortunately.

not many egrell rods to try and the one Duncan recommended he sold recently.

what i did like was the steez power junkie!!

The Steez is my favourite 2500 Eug fantastic reel.

Though I love Loomis rods have to agree about the fittings.

For the sort of outfit you are looking at I have an SMR 882 for plastics.

And a BSR 802 for hardbodys/vibes and heavier jigheads

Both balance nicely with the Steez or other 2500's.

I would love a BSR 852 GLX the extra 5 inches, GLX mmmmm

SMR 882 with Morethan Branzino 3000 and 6lb Fireline for casting distance with

3" powerbait 1/4 jighead. The 882 caught dozens of LT's to 15 kgs hundreds of other fish then the cork foregrip seperated from the blank Loomis replaced it with a new rod the only warranty issue I have ever had with a loomis poole2MAR16_09_AFO.jpgpoole3MAR16_09_AFO.jpg

elops wrote:

The Steez is my favourite 2500 Eug fantastic reel.

Though I love Loomis rods have to agree about the fittings.

For the sort of outfit you are looking at I have an SMR 882 for plastics.

And a BSR 802 for hardbodys/vibes and heavier jigheads

Both balance nicely with the Steez or other 2500's.

I would love a BSR 852 GLX the extra 5 inches, GLX mmmmm

i was particularly talking about the steez rod, but i agree their reels are very nice.

i did have a feel of an SMR882 and while i like the extra length it's a bit light for what i'm after.

nadders wrote:

agree on the loomis reel seats my imx caster while a great rod and very nice to use has that standard fuji reel seat and its a sore point on the reel.

best reel seats ive felt bar none are the daiwas

cheers

Dan

i can't stand it!! you are paying almost a premium for what is an exceptional blank and it's let down by components similar to what you'd get for a $50 shimano

agreed, the daiwa steez power junkie felt perfect in my hand - light weight and to my specs. however i can't seem to find anyone who uses it for some feedback.

elops wrote:

SMR 882 with Morethan Branzino 3000 and 6lb Fireline for casting distance with

3" powerbait 1/4 jighead. The 882 caught dozens of LT's to 15 kgs hundreds of other fish then the cork foregrip seperated from the blank Loomis replaced it with a new rod the only warranty issue I have ever had with a loomis

thanks for the pictures steve. i was very impressed last night with how the gloomis rods load up, plus the fact that the warranty is there - you certainly have confidence in pushing those fish hard.

cheers

eug

Hi Mate,

Just logged on and saw this post.

I actually work at Fishhead but usually have thursday nights, friday and saturdays off so i probably would have missed you.

Egrell S10

Very popular rod with a heap of bottom end grunt. Probably more suited to a 3500 size daiwa or 5000 size shimano. If your looking for a rod to throw relatively light weights but that has enough bottom end power to subdue even the largest of snapper or threadfin this is a great rod.

Steez Power Junkie

Probably one of my favourite rods in the shop. I actually own one myself and am very happy with it. I have got a 2500R on it at the moment and cant stop admiring how nice the combo is.

I use it for heavy bay snapper work and light offshore work around the tip of straddy.

Loomis BSR852

I agree with you on the poor running hardware on loomis rods. I myself am not a fan of the Recoils although they are outstanding when it comes to sensitivity. Again perfectly balanced with the 2500R. This is probably our most popular loomis by a long way.

The SJR844 i am not that familiar with unfortunately.

The Luckycraft Reaction tube is a great stick.

For the money i think they are a very hard rod brand to go past. I have heard they will be bringing in an expiditor program as well. I have used this rod a few times as we have one as a shop rod on the work boat. Very nice rod to throw around all day in the bay for snapper.

Another good rod to maybe have a look at would be the Daiwa TMZ-G Slayer, very similar to a power junkie but slightly slower in its action and maybe a bit more lower end power because of the woven reinforced butt section. I think from memory this one is actually slightly cheaper than the steez rod.

If you want any more info just ask,

Cheers

Tom

Expiditors are great but saying that ive never broken a rod 'touch wood' so havnt really seen the need for one.

but as with all Daiwa rods they have the standard 1 year warranty on faulty breakages. If you slam it in the car door you should have been more careful hahaha.

Was at Charltons today looking at rods looked at a few Daiwas and others, they had 25% off all Loomis in stock. Ended up buying a BSR 803 Mossyback for $366 another option Eug if any Loomis dealers still have one in stock at that price.

Archived