Coomera River 23rd June

Scope

G'day guys, got the call up from Rob (callsign: Zim Man) on Tuesday, informing me it was once again time for an all-out assault on the Coomera river. :silly:

We hit the water about 6.00 in Rob's tinny, armed with the usual selection of Damiki mu:sp's, Armour shad soft plastics, and a few others thrown in to the mix.

The day started well, with us heading west from the boat ramp as the first rays of sunlight broke through the clouds.

Rob was on first with a few quick-fire bream on small clear poppers, the over-cast conditions allowing him to weave his magic unhindered. Meanwhile, due to the slight handicap of a suspected broken thumb, I was still trying to attach a lure on to my snap clip. :blush:

As we proceeded down the river, we quickly located fish holding close to the warmth of some previously located rock bars. it didn't take long for us to boat some nice legal bream, with Damiki 3inch Armour shads in oxblood red and skin blue doing the damage. A suspected trevally also buckled my rod over and relieved me of an mu:sp before I could get him in the boat :P

We then continued down the river targeting various pontoons and jetties, as well as half-submerged timber with all manor of species from herring and whiting to trevally and flathead hitting our lures. Fortunately, we were able to locate some decent fish in areas we had previously overlooked, including some man made structure in fairly shallow water holding some fair sized bream.

The standout fish of the day came around lunchtime when a 50cm flathead smashed Rob's Saemi as he slow rolled it over some shallow rock bars on the outgoing tide. This technique proved time and again useful on both bream and various flathead throughout the middle of the day, when the fish were seemingly shut down in the other areas we had fished.

All in all a good day's fishing was had, with about 25 fish being boated in total, with probably 12 or 13 of these being bream. The overcast conditions no-doubt assisted us, however the fish did seem to go off the bite when the wind and rain picked up a notch.

Special thanks to Zim Man for being a top skipper and, as always, a pleasure to fish along side.

Thanks for reading - Jono

P.s - Sorry for lack of photos, my camera isn't waterproof. Rob may be kind enough to throw one or two up ;)

cool report jono, i will throw up the pics of the flathead later. The coomera at the moment is full of hungry fish. If anyone wants to learn how to use lures and has a boat i would recommend going there. ;)

for SOO jono will be unstoppable with the armor shads :)

cheers

Archived