Tinnie Set-Up for brissie rivers and creeks

Mr FeLiX

I've been looking into getting myself a small sub 12 foot tinnie for probing a few of the less fished areas of brisbanes/gold coasts rivers and creeks, but I really am stuck as to what manufacturer offers the best deal on a hull to suit my requirements.

Motor wise, I'm fairly sold on a two stroke yamaha in the 10-15 hp range. It's just the hull that has me stumped.

My budget will probably be around the $6000 mark for the hull and motor.

Any advice would be great guys/girls, if you need any more information, just let me know.

Hi

I just went through the same dilema as you. what boat to get? i decided on a slightly larger boat, 4.2m stessco with a 40hp 2 Stroke yamaha, but was originally looking for something under 10k.

I originally looked at the quintrex, and found that i got pretty much the same boat in a Stessco. Price wise, i got a quote from cunninghams at clontarf, and i was almost sold, until Marine Tune at burleigh smashed their quote out of the water. i would highly recommend you go see them, and they just had alot of good specials at the boat show. i emailed around and was getting quotes for 19 to 21k, and i paid only 15k.

My dad also has a 11 foot with a 15 on it, he got it for just under 5k brand new. it doesn't have any bells and whistles, like a carpet floor, casting decks etc... pretty much just boat and motor, no trailer, but it goes like the beans... i wouldn't suggest anything under 15hp if you want to fish the coomera or nerang or brisbane rivers etc, as you want to be able to move up and down stream fairly fast when needed. when you start adding your fishing buddy, crab pots, fuel, fishing gear etc a little bit of extra HP is always good.

i know its not much, but hope it helps...

Cheers

Scottybob

scottybob wrote:

Hi

I just went through the same dilema as you. what boat to get? i decided on a slightly larger boat, 4.2m stessco with a 40hp 2 Stroke yamaha, but was originally looking for something under 10k.

I originally looked at the quintrex, and found that i got pretty much the same boat in a Stessco. Price wise, i got a quote from cunninghams at clontarf, and i was almost sold, until Marine Tune at burleigh smashed their quote out of the water. i would highly recommend you go see them, and they just had alot of good specials at the boat show. i emailed around and was getting quotes for 19 to 21k, and i paid only 15k.

My dad also has a 11 foot with a 15 on it, he got it for just under 5k brand new. it doesn't have any bells and whistles, like a carpet floor, casting decks etc... pretty much just boat and motor, no trailer, but it goes like the beans... i wouldn't suggest anything under 15hp if you want to fish the coomera or nerang or brisbane rivers etc, as you want to be able to move up and down stream fairly fast when needed. when you start adding your fishing buddy, crab pots, fuel, fishing gear etc a little bit of extra HP is always good.

i know its not much, but hope it helps...

Cheers

Scottybob

Thanks a heap for the advice mate, every little bit helps as I'm relatively new to boating. I think you might be right about the need for that little bit of extra horsepower mate, it'd be handy if there was a bad front of weather coming over, or a hot bite elsewhere.

5K sounds like a great price for an 11 footer with a 15 on the back, if you don't mind me asking where did he get that?

Mr F, it's a tough decision. I kind of did the same thing exactly 12 months ago... I bought a second hand 10 footer but with a smaller 4hp yammy. Great little setup for what I wanted at the time but it lasted 5 months before I wanted to upgrade. For 6k you would pick up a bigger second hand package, which in my opinion will keep you happier longer. I was new to boating also but once you start exploring the little creeks anround the place you will start looking further out eventually. I reckon bigger is better when it comes to boating. And like my advise, you will get plenty more which will only confuse you more, so good luck with it. It's a fun process.

Rob

id recomend getting a ride in as many different hulls untill you find the right combo to suit your needs it is very hard to pick A boat as there isnt A boat thaat will do everything .

much like a car id allways buy secondhand and get one with the extras your bound to fit in good cleen condition maybe even a bit larger

does it need an electric heres another good point whilst not a vital fishing tool they would have to rate as one of the most usefull in most esturine situations even a plain old rear mount and a car battery can do wonders for your fishing

4 stroke or 2 stroke would be dependent on how much trolling you do and do you like the smell and noise of a 2 stroke

i like a 2 stroke to get me where i want to be then an electric to fish with they put you where the fish are so much more quietly i recon they are vital awwsome for cast netting for bait too

just my 10 cents worth

jason

he got it from marine tune also, but as i said it didn't include the trailer. Bluevien is right that you will get more if you go second hand. i bought new as i went finance, and that always allows you to go the little bit extra and its only a tad bigger repayment every week.

Also faulked is spot on about the electric motor, having a new one of those did put it over my budget a little, i didn't buy the electric motor, but i made sure it had the front support so i can add one later. it can be a pain to add the support later especially with a painted boat, the respraying paint will cost more than the support itself.

golden rule, you can't do enough research and don't rush your purchase. think of it like buying a car, the only difference is if you make a wrong decision and your car breaks down your not stuck up some mosi ridden estuary all night by yourself. one of the main reasons i went for a new boat (besides finance) is i need to ensure by little boy gets home for his bedtime

Archived