I day of fishing, mishaps and laughs

crazywalrus

I met up with 51mpl at the port ramp at 7 after way to many beers the night before and a nervous drive to the ramp. Got the boat in and head over to near the sunken wall to try my luck on getting a few more liveis for the day. I confidently got the cast net out and proceeded to show 51mpl my lack of casting prowess. I did manage a couple silver biddies and 40cm mullet in the cast net. We moved onto the wharves for the day to try our hand. I was in a fairly slow mood after my actions the night before so a slow soak of bait just suited me fine. I started the ball rolling with a small bream and then 51mpl got bored as I suspected with just soaking a bait and started to lure around the pylons and the rock wall.

I think he was determined to prove all you AFO sceptics wrong and proceed to pull in fish after fish with his $1 mf40 in lime green. I could not believe it as I had heard that these lures where crap. Well I am sold now.

fishing_004-20100919.jpgfishing_008-20100919.jpg

At one stage he was on a run and catching a fish a cast. So I was being totally out fished on my own boat and the water was looking good for 51mpl so I decided to give him a handy cap so I gave him one of my deep diving RMG barra lures to use and low and behold first cast he pulls in a small squire. True no joke, the photos do not lie. fishing_011.jpg

51mpl hooked into a nice flatty in 50 ft of water. Go figure. So I think the tally at this stage was heading towards an embarrassing 7 fish to 51mpl and 2 to me and with only one in the esky for 51mpl’s mum it was time to try our hand further down the wharves. We head off down to the far end of the wharves to drift and try our luck. Brad payed us a quick visit and was no longer seen for the rest of the day.

51mpl was determined to further disprove the myth that the mf40 is a crap lure and was casting his lure deep under the wharfs. I have to say he has some of the best casting skill I have fished with. He did not get a lot of love. I suspect he was trying to prove that the mf40 would be a real Thready killer however me doubts that with his light gear it would have been a very short fight. Well all good things had to come to an end with a barnacle coated pylon eventually claiming his $1 mf40. He was nearly in tears having lost this much money. After some kind words from me :P he decided to give the humble prawn a go.

Once again he was casting the bait deep up under the wharves. All I could do was leave wet spots on the concrete as I cast into the wharf. Eventually I got slightly better and pulled out a couple of small bream. 51mpl pulled out a solid bream of 36cm having cast nearly into the 4th pylon. The wind was getting up and it was getting pretty hard to hold the boat in one spot with the leccy and 51mpl had to go to work so we head back to Ramp. While we where docking the leccy the wires pull out hmmmm not happy Jan.

We carefully prepared the fish for 51mpl’a mum at the cleaning station. 51mpl walked over to the beach to get the rest of his gear from the boat and left the fish wrapped up in a towel on a rock behind him. He turned his back for a second and the Pelican struck stealing his biggest bream. So here is 51mpl standing near the Pelican as it casually walks of not knowing whether to tackle the bird or not. I return to see the pelican with the fish half way down its throat. I really tried not to laugh. :Dfishing_007-20100919.jpg

Ellicat was supposed to meet me at this time after his quick nanna nap. I think he might have been having grandfather nap so I gave him a quick call. Brian gets on and he sounds really groggy. Oh S@#t I slept to long I will there in 45 mins. I spent the time trying to master cast netting and collect some more bait. Somewhat successful.

Brian turns up and we head off to collect some more lives before hitting up the mouth. We got some nice little mullet and off we head inspired that it was going to be a good night. Well it did not start off that way for me. Night time had just set in and I had deployed my livie with a hope for something big and then I started to have a play with some bream on the other rod. It wasn’t long before the tide change and the other rod was getting tangled in the motor. I put the bream rod down to fix this. Within a few seconds I hear a bang and turn around to see my bream rod rifling through the water away. NOT HAPPY JAN again. My fault but after the net fiasco the time before with Brian All I could think of I am going to pay for this. So many laughs mainly on Brian’s side. We get going again. Brian lends me his third rod so I did not feel out numbered. I pull in several little bream and a small stingray but that was it for the activity for the night. Brian did not get on the board but I am sure he went home happy with yet more stories to tell.

Thanks for a great day out Ted! Nice to meet you as well brad haha, i had no idea who you were lol.

Great day on the water; my quick write-up =]

Finish work uber early @ midnight - get home jump on afo after thinking on the way home "i should go for a fish 2moro" and what do you know? Ted needs a deckie

He calls me and we setup a meet for 7am, get there just as ted is backing down the boat and we're off. Not too much luck on livies but we had plenty (not that anything was really interested :( )

First spot and i quickly get bored of the bait so i change from prawn/pilchard/livie with the pillies coming up 1/2 eaten and 3/4 eaten with no fish on teh boat :( I decide to use the mf40 heavy 8.6g because it was the heaviest lure i have so first cast into middle of nowhere and as the lure is sinking more and more line is takking out - 50f so i guess meh mayb it'll take a while. flick bail arm over and i feel weight? haha in comes a little bream..

With this new-found confidence i start actually targetting the strucutre - first cast nabs a little squire - then the 50cm flathead and then a few more squire with a few missed hits.. All during this time the boat next to us was landing 40-50cm snaps - 2 of them :(

Call is made to head up further along the wharves and i lose the mf40 so i change to bait with lots of bream coming in - pity they were unders but hey; if it puts a bend in the rod..

After the wind picks up the call is made to head back in but not after a quick.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz bang my livie rod gets demolished ;"(

Another cast deep into the wharves gets rolled and im out of energy (another 10hour shift at work ahead) so we head back in where the bloody pelican steals my fish?! ......

Anyhoo - love ya Ted thanks for an awsome day

For those boaties who were in the river just after dark lastnight, the loud noise you heard was Ted bypassing the swear filter :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I promised to go easy on the lost rod issue as Ted's red face needed some relief before his head burst into flames :evil: :evil:

I was calming him down and giving him a sanga to eat whilst he rigged up my spare rod. This is when the laughter began. Somehow he tried to take a bite from the sanga and lubricate a knot at the same time and swallowed the fishing line :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fortunately he had hold of both ends and was able to recover it from somewhere down his throat with a gurgling sound. I laughed so hard I scared all the fish away I think. Having remastered castnetting earlier, and with such high level entertainment, catching a fish was no longer a priority for me. I just set my livey and deady out and sat back and relaxed, comforted in the knowledge that the ellicat curse from 2 years ago had finally passed over to someone else.

51MPL wrote:

u know it brian =] .. man everytime i try to write you name i type 'brain' >.>"

sorry couldn't stay on til you got there, had to get to work

That's quite acceptable. I am quite similar to a Thunderbird first thing in the morning :blush: :laugh:

I thought we may have caught up, but after 3 wakeup calls from the wife failing to stir me I was just lucky to get there at all in the end :S :blush: I had an early session with faulked Saturday morning after only an hours sleep....and to make it worse I forgot the kettle and couldn't get a few coffees into me :laugh: Slept until 2pm today, so ready to do it again.

ellicat wrote:

I just set my livey and deady out and sat back and relaxed, comforted in the knowledge that the ellicat curse from 2 years ago had finally passed over to someone else.

hmmm not sure I am happy to take the mantle of u mate. :P yes It was a day of unfortunate events however I really enjoyed myself. I really feel sorry for that fish swimming around dragging my rod around. Luckily it was only light line so I am sure it would have eventually snagged and released the fish.

Khoi good to get out and have a fish with you mate. Sorry I was a little slow in the morning, I was not sure that someone was going to take up the deckie spot so I had a lot more than I would normally do. You are definitely a really skilled fisherman. Will be good to get out again with you.

Always good to have you along Brian. I think there is more chatting and laughing than fishing and mostly at my expense but all good mate.

Archived