Brand Spankers

fatmuf

Hey all, as I'm sure many have said before me, I used to fish with my old man when I was younger and the time has come that now I am real keen on getting into fishing.

I'm really just looking at jetty and creek/river fishing and anything around that but I have no idea how to progress succesfully from this point. I've bought myself a new rod and tackle box, etc. from BCF and now I'm looking into trying out maybe places like Schulz Canal, Nudgee Creek, and really anywhere around Northside.

Trouble is, as I'm brand new to the scene, I have no idea where to go, what to look for, what hooks/sinkers/baits to use for different spots, freshwater, saltwater, blah blah blah, and i'm pretty damn hopeless haha. I could really use a hand in learning the bits and pieces and getting the know-how I need.

I can't even tell apart the different fish species at this point, and wouldnt know how big fish of certain species can get, nor how big they need to be for me to keep them. Then there's the matter of knowing whether or not I can eat the bastard.

I don't know much but I DO know that someone here can help me, so that's all I ask.

Anything will help. If anything, other newbies can look at this thread and the advice i've received and not have to look like such a tool.

Alaways appreciative, fatmuf. :silly:

Welcome aboard.

I'll start....

A lot of tackle outlets have laminated cards with the common species' picture and bag/size limits. Get one of those to start with.

Don't take a fish if you don't know what it is (many do). just take a pic and check later or ask here.

Check in the Going Fishing Forum as quite often spots are available/offered on boats with another member (called Decky spots). Quickest way to learn.

I'm sure there'll be plenty more bits of advice flooding in, so I'll leave it at that. :)

Hi FatMuf

I have a mate who is exactly like yourself, he has not got a clue, however yesterday he caught a squire while I never scratched up a mark.

This was at deep water bend on bait (Pine River- North Side) land based (You can walk the river bank way past the popular jettys).

Takes a bit of time to get it right but that's the fun of it.

If your starting out I suggest getting yourself a cast net (9 or 10ft) learning how to throw it and how to rig live baits like herring and prawns, seriously easy and adds some very large potential to the model of fish you will catch. ;)

At the same time ask questions on here about gear and tackle, so you might have the know how to move into soft plastics or hard lures when your a bit savvy.

cheers

Thanks all, we are goin pretty good here!

Ok so i have a 4-8 kilo rod with probably about a 10-12 lb line, fairly standard. It seems i should have a wide variety of fish that i can target with my setup, so next question: when should i use a lure as opposed to bait?

I take it once i am able to use live bait, frozen bait will become useless? So when should i use softs vs. hards vs. live baits, and should i or should i not be letting it drag along the bed? If i'm just standing on the bank that is, no boat.

Deep Water Bend sounds like a great idea, a mate of mine and i will sometimes pull all-nighters fishing [even though we hardly catch anything] and i'm thinking about heading out saturday 25th for another long one, so we should be out from just before high tide til after low tide. apparently because we're headin toward a full moon and N - NW winds i wont have much luck, but we're goin anyway so a couple of locations generally close to each other that might do us good would be great. would Deep Water Bend be a good bet?

deep water bend can be hit and miss, reason being that it is so over fished. it's unlikely someone is gonna give you an exact spot but by looking through reports you can get a pretty good idea of where to go.

it is difficult when land based to use bait where there is strong current, and personally i have had no success on plastics at night. apart from that whatever bait/lure you use is up to you, some days bait will be best some lures

fresh bait is always prefrable to frozen. and it depends what bait you like but sometimes its better to get your prawns at woolies cas they are more fresh.

Welcome to the site, fatmuf. You'd mainly be targeting bread and butter species like bream, flathead and whiting at Deepwater but there's always a chance of some suprises.

If you are just starting out I'd keep it real simple and stick with baits and not worry about lures just yet and use the lightest sinker you can get away with. Servo prawns, mullet or even chicken meat will keep you busy enough getting through the pickers but you'll get on to some size also. Once you have sussed out a place and your gear you can always start to change things up and try soft plastics. They are heaps of fun and very productive once you've worked them out but they can be frustrating at the beginning.

Read through the fishing reports and you will find out what's around and what works.

Cheers,

Rob

mate I wouldn't pull a land based all-nighter at deep water bend, it swarms with midgy and mosquitoes after dark :ohmy: :( :ohmy: .

You could run some livies land based at Boggy creek mouth, not sure how you would go, or Newstead Park/brekky creek, Breats warf, Kookaburra park, even West End Jettys or Kangaroo Point I mean they are very common spots but if your going to sit it out for a while with a nice livie then its a very feasible venture, especially for a beginner, its a great way to cut your teeth as you always have the chance of a nice hookup with good fish (fishing 2 hours before high then the outgoing).

cheers

Archived