A Mornings fishing in Carins

blairv

Well had a bit of time for a fish this morning before work in Cairns. I am using foot power this trip so headed down around the river for and found some nice "fishy areas" that held some promise. The sun and wind were just coming up at this stage.

post-6340-144598539404_thumb.jpg

I brought some Prawns from the local Woolies, rigged up and off I went. Not bad fun really - I managed 10 fish in an hour and a bit:

1. 2 x Grinners

2. 4 x Finger Marks

3. A Mullet !!

4. The bad ass northern cousin of the Pike Eel (cut him off before he got too mad)

And two of these - now I am not sure what they are but they like structure and fight like stink - I was hoping they are Jacks but I don't think so - maybe a type of Perch?

Any ideas anyone?

post-6340-14459853941_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a good little session there so close to town. Locals don't know what there missing always chasing the bigger stuff out to sea and in the creeks ;)

Looks like a maybe a baby red bass or something similar, what were the teeth like?

Could nearly be another fingermark without the spot as well? We used to catch a similar looking

fish in the creeks in Mackay, that we called a red bream, like you say they go as hard as a jack. :cheer:

How big was the eel, they are mean little buggers and always try to attack everything in reach. :angry:

Billp

The fish had a great set of fangs on it - seeing I was only on 10lb leader it was lucky I got it in.

The eel on the otherhand I had no intention to land - it was around 5 ft long and very dark coloured - as well as a mouth full of teeth !!!

Will do some exploring with Azza when he arrives

Archived