Mooring a tinnie

Bluevien

I am taking the boat up to Noosaville later this month and I will be able to moor it in the canal for 4 nights. It'll be real handy to leave it in the water as the boat ramp is a fair distance away.

I will have a couple of fenders to protect the paint work but do I have to do anything else like tilt the motor right out of the water when docked? I always wash and rinse it down religiously after every use so this will be new and a hell of a lot easier but I don't want to bugger it up. Any hints on mooring a 4.2 tinnie will be greatly appreciated?

Cheers,

Rob

Not sure what you are talking about with mooring the boat up for 4 days. Do you mean leaving it against a dock and hence the fenders? Do you mean anchoring it out beyond the low tide mark?

I am tipping the latter, and if so I use a massive circle of rope I have made up. Basically anchor way out using the rope which is attached to the bollard at front of the boat. The rope goes from the bollard, down though a shackle in the anchor, and back up to a snap lock hanging near the bollard, then along the side of the boat to another snap lock near the stern, then to shore and around what ever you have there that is solid and the back to the stern cleat.

You following so far?

Anchor up, then stern into shore, unload, pull on the bow rope to drag boat back out towards the anchor and tie it off. To retrieve your boat, pay out the bow end of the rope while pulling on the stern end.... easy as!

Personally I would leave the motor down as a mechanic once told me that for things to oxidise and rust quicker they need air. He did this as he pulled a tiny outboard out of his flushing tank as he said untill he got chance to work on it, he left it completely underwater.

hi

i have a morring for noosa also. this may be the same as booty's but i have no idea what he was on about haha. (i dont really talk boat) ;) anyway.

i have a solid anchor and chain for the front and about 5 meters or so of rope to a large fender. then every 1.5 meters have a loop about 4 loops in total. then a crab pot float and secure that to the rope and another solid anchor dug into the sand or into the ground whatever. and you get a couple of clips to clip your boat onto the mooring. heres a photo of what it looks like.

thanks pat

post-3952-144598543871_thumb.jpg

lol press the wrong button thank you instead of reply...

I would leave it down to ive heard as booty said things need air to oxidize as long as your motor is used regularly you wont have a problem. My old mans house boats runs an outboard and it is only trimmed up when its not being used for long periods and flushed accordingly as yet hes had no problems

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. I did mean mooring to a jetty. Apparently it's behind a loch too so it won't be affected by tides as much.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Booty. You didn't waste your time because I will remember that for when I anchor beyond low mark and I am sure others will also read it.

So keep the motor down... makes sense about the air.

Mate you wouldn't be going to noosa entrance resort would you? If you are you will see when you get there, its a piece of cake.

And if your not staying there, look into it. Its a great place to stay just ask to stay in number 38. I cant wait to get back there with a new boat.

check it out http://noosaentrance.com/index.html

Brad

No mate, Portside Apartments but this one looks good too. Might keep it in the memory banks.

Archived