Terrorising the Tilapia

S4T4N

I've just moved to Brisbane and noticed few smaller ponds and creeks around my area ( Boronia heights) they seem to only hold eels, gambusia and Tilapia. I was thinking about doing a major Tilapia clean out of the system for a bit of fun, thinking 2kg spin stick and either small surface lures or corn for bait. any tips on catching the little buggers would be helpful, and if anyone wants to join in, a little competition might be able to be arranged =Þ have to use photos and bragmats tho for proof due to the silly laws stopping most people from targetting them. damn tasty fish if you ever try them.

not illegal to target them, just to take them home to eat =( but that rule makes it illegal to hold a Tilapia contest as you couldn't take the fish to a weigh in, i would have thought a contest might decimate the numbers a bit.

If your in regents park, have you ever tried fishing scrubby creek?... any ideas for areas to fish would be useful for me as im kinda lost at the mo on where to go

yeah found a little hole full of mullet and something about 1 - 1 1/2 feet long with a red tail, might be a monster tilapia or a carp, but it was attacking small mullet on the surface... Im gonna catch it =Þ

its in a hole near indica crescent, the only place you can get to the creek easily in that part

I was wondering about the bigger ponds down by Wayne Goss Drive, they look kinda fishy to me, and I can get to them easy by bike, bout 6 km from my place with only one hill in between

Saw about 6 tilapia over 20cm under the foot bridge near Waller park, plus theres about 5 or so in a stormwater pond behind the park ( nice clear water so they a bit spooky, and full of trolleys =P

yer mate have fished all round these areas around regents park and have caught heaps of tilapia and carp the thing with a red tail probably a carp id say maybe dunno about hitting mullet though might be a tilapia the biggest tilapia iv caught was a 40 odd one near the athletics park good luck and we will hav to catch up fo a fish one time.

I tried targetting carp at the waller street bike bridge yesterday, hooked and lost one, but found a heap of good spots

need to learn how to carp fish properly, if your keen for a mission along the bikeway here gimme a time and i'll see what i can do. carp up to 50cm down under the bridge, a couple with 6lb line and hooks stuck in them.

hi - I found an un weighted worm the best to catch Tilapia. I let them run with for a metre or 2 and then strike. If i can see them I will slowly drag the worm past them and when the run with it I let them have it for a bit. good luck - and I agree they are good to eat.

yer i use that tactic alot and/or bread also works well

Never ever fished for them myself but good on you guys for thinning them out. Read a while back they are apparently they are the 6 th most eaten fish in the USA so can't be too bad on the chew. I'm sure if fisheries were asked they wouldn't mind about a tilapia comp so long as the fish were eventually destroyed one way or the other.

damn flat tyres, cant go tonite, will try in morning tho, if anyone keen to do a bit 4 the environment im going to be under the foot bridge near waller park around 9am ish

by the way, saw a couple of fishy looking puddles behind heritage park today when i woz on the bus, does anyone know about them?

gonna have to make it after 11am, gotta drop the missus off

woz just gonna steal a few slices of bread, haven't had chance to start worm farm yet,

was meaning the ponds off green rd, near blue wren place, google earth shows a bigger pond a bit back from the rd, might be worth asking land owners about it.

Archived