Blooded The Yak

JamesMac

Day 1

distance Paddled-5.1km +

Score-Dad 2 for 2, James 2 for 3

Monday began with us in the water at around 9:00 maybe a little bit later. we paddled over to coochie we had planned to go counter clockwise around the island untill i realised that going clockwise would be much better because of the mangroves. so we paddled on over trolling our lures behind us caught myself a snag -_- to start so we continued to troll up and around a corner. I turned around to check my lure and noticed it was floating with what i thought was a bit or weed so i reeled it in to find a little bream on the end. thats it four firsts at once :) First Bream on a lure, First kayak fish, First Trolling fish and First fish on my spiffy new rod :woohoo:. So we paddled forward a bit and then i noticed dads rod bend :cheer: you got one dad i yelled as he reeled it in i heard a giggle so I paddled over and saw dad had a puffer fish. Now in the process of trying to photograph this fish dad dropped his great HTC phone in the water :(. so we managed to photo our first 2 fish. so we found ourselves making little to no ground at this place. so we kept on trolling along when my rod went screaming off. a quick turn and grab was in hand and i found myself fighting a fish. As i pumped and winded i pumped and then forgot to wind and my lure came flicking out of its mouth :(. now i got a good look at this fish when i was winding her in and it was a big big flat head would of been a pb breaker. dad paddled over gave me a blank stare and said that fish nearly ripped your rod of the holder. so we kept on paddling and sure enough dad was on again he got it in quite quick it was a 40-50 cm flathead we decided to keep this one just because we hadnt eaten fish in a while, and boy did he make a good lunch. so we checked dads phone and nope no signal no life the phone had died :unsure: so we paddled on and then i hooked up again, a nice breambo would of been around 25cm this really impressed me with my rod seeing as i could really feel its head turning and everything. we watched him dart away whe i unhooked him. we paddled up and into this little bay like thing we saw something chopping up the water so we went over there when we got there they were everywhere all around us it insane unsure on what they were we flicked around with no luck at all. we saw a sandbank and i forced dad to go up there so i could rest. at this point i was starving and managed to convince dad it was home time. so we took the paddle long paddle back to the boat ramp.

Photos

post-7714-144598568716_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568707_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568724_thumb.jpg

Day 2

Distance Paddled-7.5km+

Score- Dad 0 for 1 James Nothing

day 2 started a bit earlier down the boat ramp at around 8ish

very sore shoulders and backs we launched out of victoria point and paddled over to coochie again we paddled up and around the beach instead this time trying to see if we could make it around the island we got to the point of the island to the right and decided to drift back down flicking along the flats we nothing we decided to go back to the mangroves drifting slowling along them flicking our lures into different bits of structure i some how found my lure at the top of a mangrove tree.JAMES' TIPS - How to get your lure from the top of a tree- Step 1 yell to partner to come hold kayak so it doesnt drift away. Step 2 stupidly climb a branch most likely to break, Step 3 lose the line so you have to climb higher to find it, Step 4 pull lure out of branck break line, Step 5 drop lure onto chair,step 6 climb down the tree dodging spiders and there webs. step 7 cling to dangerous branch and slowly lower yourself into the kayak. :P

See im one of those people who will not lose there favourite lures :pinch:

so we cruised on up finding many trees and snags and yet no fish we paddle on up around the bay again still nothing so i managed to get dad to take a rest again as i was hungry again (brought food this time:laugh:)we sat in a tree with our kayaks leaning against them we felt the wind pick up so we decided to head back on over I paddled all the way over through the bay and into the mangroves again turned around to see dad rod bent i paddled over and dad just said it took over 3/4 of my spool and then just let go. so we paddled over and took refuge on the sandbank that was emerging we weighed our options and decided to flick plastics along the change of water colour in hope for a flathead with no luck i took another breal playing with the strange fish the we saw the day before. unfortunately none of them took my lure, dad however paddled around trolling and flicking in hope of a flatty with no luck we decided it was time to paddle home.

P.S. dad used his old phone to take the pictures this day

Photos

post-7714-144598568732_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568743_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568751_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568761_thumb.jpg

Now some photo's of our yaks and my new rod

post-7714-14459856877_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568776_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568782_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568791_thumb.jpg

post-7714-144598568799_thumb.jpg

Thanks For Reading. Hope you enjoyed it

nice read!.good to see that coochie area is still serving fish,(well partly). i thought the rain would've stuffed things up.yay I got the same yak as you james! how did you fit them rod holders? I dont have a clue how to fit them on mine... i'm noob

:). um you just need to angle them a little bit. I got for $6 at BCF and they fit in just great :)

nice one mate. I once paddled all the way around Coochie with my mates when I was 14... it took us maybe 4 hours to do it. We did it over low tide which sucked coz we then had to drag our rented yaks over this big ass rocky exposed part.

Congrats on the new blooding

I know the rocky part your talking about :laugh: i dread just paddling around the damn bit couldn't imagine having to drag the yak over it, Hoping you had shoes at the time :laugh: :P

Archived