6ft shovel woody point

Shimanobwoie

I arrived at woody 6:30pm friday and was astounded that there was only a handfull off people couple at the start of the jetty and a couple at the end. Set up all my gear then it was in search of bait with the castnet. First throw a few hardy, herring and a prawn. Some time went by and i hadnt had to much luck with the rod that i had out mind you half the time i wasnt even close to it and was throwing my cast net. around 8pm i got a cracker prawn it was as big as my hand and a good sized mullet for a livie. Some time passed some more and i was just about to throw my net when i heard my drag on the saltist go dropped everything and ran towards my rod. When i picked my rod up i was trying to take the ratchet off and tighten the drag at the same time to set the circle but a no go and the zzzzzzz of the reel had soon stopped. With alil bit of the shakes i scurried around to get another 2 more livies i got 5 mullet and 3 gar in the net the very first next cast of the net. Set the saltist back up and the tekota and nothing for another hour or so. Hearing some action on the otherside i grab my net again and have a few more cast for some berley and again hear my rachet going off hoping it to be the saltist i turned around and it was the tekota going off :( picked it up turn the rachet and yet again missed the fish again I think it was because i was to much of a rush to get off the donut. Almost time to get picked up and i can see my ride walking up the jetty so as usual i pack up everything and leave the big rods out untill its time to go. As i was packing up the gear i could see in the corner of my eye i can see the saltist rod getting a few nudges i walk towards it and now this time im ready rachet it off and finger is on the star drag ready to set the hooks. I could feel the weight starting to load up but i wasnt going to drop this fish so i let it run and then slowly did the drag up and YESSSSSSSS i was on. At first i thought to myself bugger its a stingray as the blokes at the end must of caught atleast 6 during the time i was there. Quickly getting some line back with the very short pumps and half of a turn on the handle each time and it was almost up then another short run. I finnaly got it up to surface and to my suprise it was a big shovel-nose shark it took another very short run and it managed to some how wrap the line around its body. The next step i had to figure out was how i was going to let this big girl go i couldnt gaff it because that would damage the fish i couldnt lift it up by the line incase i cut the fish and i couldnt climb down the ladder to tail lift it because i could damage the fishes backbone. I started to make the long walk to shore from 3/4 of the way out towards the end. The walk to get the shark was far longer then getting the fish in itself. Got the big girl to the bank and quickly ran down and grabbed the leader pulled her up got the line out and tried to get a good photo of her but she was already quite tired and i didnt want to risk having her out of the water for too long and not being able to swim away. A minute or to after swimming her she slowly swims away and it was time for me to go home with a sore arm and some prawns and a big smile on my face.

Nice report mate and weldone on get the fish released.How many prawns did you get?

But just a side note shovelnose are a ray not a shark

Thanks.. Its abit of a bad habit always called them that since a little kid because of there fins.

I got about 500grams mostly just for bait this morning but i over slept and its raining now so guess for my next fising trip hopefully sunday.

Archived