All's Well that ends Well

Doobsy

With Tailor nominated as Fish of the Month for June, Sweresy and I made plans this week to hit up a couple of spots down around Jacobs Well that provided well for us last year.

We were on the water at first light and the new moon had the prawns going nuts as we made our way out from Maars.

A brisk boat-ride in the pre-dawn, misty air had us at our first target venue.

Sweresy started with large plastics and I fired out casts with a big popper to entice the bad-boys up to the surface. We didn't have much luck for the first half-hour but once the sun came over the horizon and started lighting up the tiny ripples from the last of the run-out and lack of any wind, a couple of heavy swing-and-miss strikes then BAM! Zzzzzzzzzz... I was on!

Heart in the mouth stuff...

I hadn't had a hit like this for nearly twelve months and it was awesome to be back tussling with these brutes and confident in the knowledge that I had the tools necessary to hold my own. There were some serious runs from this fella that really did NOT want to come anywhere near the boat. Luckily the hooks were well-set and the fight was solid for a couple of minutes before he unwillingly succumbed to the drag and was netted for a couple of happy snaps.

5796391340_3c6b47f4e8_z.jpg

5795832533_84a1f16432_z.jpg

By this time, the action had visibly started to heat up with Mullet flying everywhere and surface action abounding with the dorsal fins showing of some monster Tailor owning bait-fish.

I threw out another couple of casts on the popper and was on again with a massive surface hit... This one was even angrier and after a couple of deeper runs, he turned for the surface. As I was retrieving line as fast as I could, it jumped to try and throw the lure.

He was unsuccessful in his plight but his teeth shredded the 20lb leader...

He took the last serious popper on the boat... I sure wasn't going to throw a 40mm Zip-bait out... That'd be like bringing a plastic spork to gun-fight... :huh:

I tried a sub-surface lure in a mullet colour for 10 mins but it was all for nought.

We then worked our way over some favourite holes with plastics in the hope that some large tailor were circling below the mullet schools and hoping for a stunned mullet to drop out.

This proved pretty successful with a few GT's (5) and a decent flattie deciding to crack Sweresys flick-baits and my new favourite plastic, the 5" Armour Shad. This included a PB for me with a 55cm GT :cheer:

5796391216_1892db0ea5_z.jpg

Whilst continuing this same pattern for an hour or so, we actually lost a few lures on the drop to what were probably big tailor as the heavy leaders were sliced without the slightest tug to the line. The line would just go slack as if had hit the bottom then on the first lift, we'd realise there was no jig-head... :S

During this course of play, we could hear splashes and what we thought was a babies rattle... It was the damned Tailor that had shred me off trying to throw the lure! I've never experienced anything like it before and it was if he was taunting me like he was the Croc that swallowed the clock and I was Captain Hook...

The grand finale to this passage was a first for me and a species that I thought was unattainable after years fishing Sydney Harbour, The Hawkesbury and Brisbane and surrounds for the past few years.

At the bottom of the tide, my new favourite plastic had scored me my first Jew! Not a keeper at 53cm but I was stoked nonetheless. :woohoo:

5795832391_8eb01fd898_z.jpg

As the tide started to turn and head back in, we headed for the 'pin to throw some lures over the flats for some fun on light gear hunting some Bream and lizards. I landed two more flatties before the call was made to head home.

Final tally was 1xTailor, 5xGT's, 3xFlatties, 1x34cm Squire... and 1 Jew. Beautiful morning out and some fresh fillets for Sunday supper. ;)

Thanks for reading,

Doobz.

Archived