Biggunz on Bream Gear down the Brunz

Doobsy

Just a quick one to share some fun Sweresy and I had down at Brunswick Heads this weekend.

We started off early Saturday morn to reach Brunz at sunrise and shoot for some surface Bream then do a bit of exploring and try and land a Jewie or two.

The bream weren't playing in the gin clear water so we decided to head up river.

Casting at the banks with soft plastics was the order of the day with a myriad of species mentioned that might be caught including bream, flatties, trevs, EP's, tailor and of course, jewies.

Sweresy was on first with a nice little flattie but just under legal. He caught another a few casts later then finally I opened the account with one of my own.

Now that the accounts were open, we settled in with the same method and enjoyed the morning. We caught at least a dozen li'l lizards but all just under legal which was a little disappointing...

A shot of an average li'l lizzie coming aboard...

post-4593-144598655651_thumb.jpg

We explored the river some more with not much action so we started mixing up lure presentations, concentrated on the light gear and tied on a couple of blades.

This proved to be a wise choice...

A few lifts later and BANG! Sweresy was hooked up to a beast.

A good tussle ensued on his BreamBuster and 6lb leader and after some heart in the mouth stuff, he lands a PB of 82cm...

post-4593-144598655662_thumb.jpeg

Of course she was released well to fight another day.

post-4593-144598655672_thumb.jpeg

Spirits were high and some more exploration was undertaken. About an hour or so later whilst still spinning blades and catching a few more little lizards, I was starting to feel a little out of sorts.

A minute or two later, I was to lift my blade against a dead weight and the tourney drag of my 2004 Steez screamed to life.

I was well hooked and this fish did not like it. There were several runs that took out plenty of my 6lb line and my 1-3kg Samurai was sharing its load with my fore-arm. As soon as I would gain some line, this fish would take it all back and more. Runs towards toppled tree snags, under the boat around both the motor and electric had me thinking that he knew exactly what he was doing and hoping to rub this silly string off so he could go about his day...

Patience, control and some nifty leccie work by Sweresy helped tire the fish out and when we saw colour, it was again heart in the mouth stuff as we knew it had to be landed at all costs.

A swift netting by the skipper and the second PB of the day was recorded with yours truly landing a 73cm Jewie!

post-4593-144598655681_thumb.jpeg

post-4593-144598655689_thumb.jpg

Spirits were high and we headed back to the ramp to check in to our digs, grab a bite to eat then back to the river to fish the front on the in-coming.

We popped for some bream with little success again and headed to the mouth where we threw out some poppers to try for some tailor and salmon. Sweresy hooked a chopper then some dolphins came in and killed the party.

Back to the motel, some frosty ales, some laughs recounting the days adventures, a magic pizza and it was lights out...

We headed to the same spots with the same techniques this morning but it was tough work... A few bream, small lizards and a baby GT was all that accounted of itself.

post-4593-144598655698_thumb.jpeg

Fishing's a funny game but that's what keeps it interesting...

Thanks for reading,

Doobz.

PS. Once I've sorted this video editing out, I'll post the vids of the two tussles and I'm also preparing a piece for the recipes section with tonights dinner.

Stay tuned...

That's a very good read again doobsy and great photo's to go with it.That little hole where you got the jew looks like the same spot where I got my jack at last years steak and orange's good little honey hole that 1.I can't wait to get back there it a very good little system

thanks darren

cheers for the top weekend!!

ive only fished the Brunswick a handful of times now and it amazes me the fish that are in there *read VERY healthy system*

the fish were taken from a hole BUT not the one at the first bend as the weekend boat traffic was pretty manic at times. Holes occur at pretty much any bend in the river i've found and we sounded fish in every one of them. Just getting them to hit was another matter.

ps. The bream at the ramp have to be seen to be believed ;)

Cheers for the comments guys.

Just to echo Kris' comments and not wanting to sound ungrateful at all for a top weekend and an awesome couple of fish, it was really frustrating to not get more.

We threw everything at 'em for 2 morning sessions and one arvo using heaps of different, proven, techniques.

They're either too smart or too well fed, the amount of bream we could see...

However, two PB's and great sport on light gear, the smiles say it all. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived