Whats Your 10 favourite Icons That Makes Australia

Where else in the world could you find a natural icon like Ayers Rock, I reckon the only place on earth that could come close would be the Grand Canyon and even then I still don't think it would have the same aura about it. Also the wildlife we have here is second to none, you have the obvious ones like Kangas, Platypus, Echidnas, Koalas and the like but you will never find a more beautiful bird than the Gouldian Finch, you've got the Tassie Devil and Tasmanian Tiger (although now supposedly extinct), the Queensland Grouper, the Murray Cod and I second Fishingnuts' everything deadly motion, damn we've got some snakes and spiders getting around ;) you could go on and on. Also I don't think there would be anywhere else where you could take the piss out of Kiwis to the extent Aussies do and still sit down and have a beer with them afterwards :P Oh and have a look at a map of the world and tell me Australia doesn't just look the best :lol:

Here's my two, My dad served in vietnam, and I love the proud history of Aussie diggers,

I also love our coat of arms with the Emu and the Kangaroo, two native Australian animals that are unable to take a step backwards.

[attachment=38877]risun.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=38878]777px-australian_coat_of_arms.png[/attachment]

(The truth is Kangaroos and emus can both move backwards its just that they infrequently do :-)

[attachment=38875]simpson.jpg[/attachment]

Betya anyone under 50 wouldnt have a clue who he is or what he did.
/>http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/forging/australians/simpson.asp

Cheers

Ray

hey hey hey hey 42 and this is australia's first true blue hero legend ;)

Cheers

Ray

. Dassa 34 here and know the true grit legend.maybe a bit premature with you assessment of us youngens ray ;)

Cheers

Ray

Remember the story well, our old Headmasterr, Mr Simpson (of all names) used to tell the story every ANZAC Day

Here's my two, My dad served in vietnam, and I love the proud history of Aussie diggers,

I also love our coat of arms with the Emu and the Kangaroo, two native Australian animals that are unable to take a step backwards.

[attachment=38877]risun.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=38878]777px-australian_coat_of_arms.png[/attachment]

Fallen mates. Lest We Forget.

Cheers

Ray

. Dassa 34 here and know the true grit legend.maybe a bit premature with you assessment of us youngens ray ;)

Haha yep 29 here, very few people would do what he did, a true hero.

Cheers

Ray

Hahaha dont worry Ray we teach the kids about Simpson in primary schools especially leading up to ANZAC day. We are not allowed anymore to talk about "war" but he is a conveniant loop hole.

This wont be popular with some but enjoy Australia and its diversity culturally. I love being able to go down the shops and choosing from fish and chips, a kebab, Thai, Indian and so on. Being a huge fan of middle eastern food I am looking forward to maybe some Afghan spots to open up soon :P

I am not going to get into the issue of illegal immigrants as I agree something needs to be done about this (although I do feel extremely sorry for someone that see that as their only option). But people need to remember that a lot of these ethnic groups do arrive legitimently, gain residence pay taxes and so on.

I dont think new immigrants take away from us being Australian, they just add to the flavour :P After all they have always been whinging about some group whether it be the,

(roughly in this order over the last century and a bit)

Irish

Chinese

Greeks

Vietmanese

Indians

Lebanese

Tongans and Samoans

South Africans

Afghans

And always the Kiwi's :P

I also think Australia is about the OUTDOORS!

I wish I could tell my kids at school "Get the F of your damn Wii, Playstation, DS (or whatever) and go out and enjoy it"!

Whether its fishing like it is for so many of us, or surfing, hiking, 4WDriving, Hunting, Diving or whatever, there is just so much to do.

Angus

post-8878-144598668135_thumb.jpg

1 To be who you want to be....

2 do do what you want to do....

3 where the next door neibour, the guy in the other boat or passing someone on the footpath will give you a freindly HOWDE....

4 freedom of speech

5 where a total stranger will give you or offer you a hand ( most times )

6 be able to travle such a short distance and see a wide variety of scenery ( snow to crocks )

7 best weather

8 best beaches

9 acceptance of other cultures

10 and most important

the skies are the limit, nothing is impossible where one can dream and the dream can come true, where one can sit down and dream of a dream to one day make a differance to their beautiful country called

post-8878-144598668139_thumb.png

[attachment=38907]FREE.jpg[/attachment]

1 To be who you want to be....

2 do do what you want to do....

3 where the next door neibour, the guy in the other boat or passing someone on the footpath will give you a freindly HOWDE....

4 freedom of speech

5 where a total stranger will give you or offer you a hand ( most times )

6 be able to travle such a short distance and see a wide variety of scenery ( snow to crocks )

7 best weather

8 best beaches

9 acceptance of other cultures

10 and most important

the skies are the limit, nothing is impossible where one can dream and the dream can come true, where one can sit down and dream of a dream to one day make a differance to their beautiful country called

THUMBS UP

[attachment=38908]AUS.png[/attachment]

Cheers

Ray

I'm only 46, Ray. I know that is the Two Little Boys that Rolf Harris sang about :dry:

Some flesh & blood Australian Icons,in no particular order:

Bob Hawke & Kevin Rudd… these two went above and beyond their PM duties to prove that with a few tears, politics and stage play can be headlining entertainment.

Rolf Harris… long before Campbell Newman the “Can Do†man,we had Rolf the “Sure Canâ€man. With a piece of masonite off cut in one hand, can of paint in the other hand,and singing “Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport.â€, all of this while assuring the nation that we “Sure Canâ€.

Barry Gomersall… only because of south of the border jealousies,this great Queenslander was never awarded the “Australian of the Year Award†for his great services to the making of State of Origin football, as we now know it .

This man, with only a whistle,could turn Qlds` darkest defencive moments,into match winning, try scoring attacks just by blowing his whistle… RIP Barry Gomersall a true icon of Qld sport.

Crocodile Dundee.. what can you say about this great Australian,probably the same as for Steve Irwin, when he went international(luv em or hate em) all Aussies` cringed

Gary Macdonald “Norman Gunstonâ€â€¦ he proved beyond a doubt that “some mothers do have themâ€â€¦.

Breaker Morants` Rule 303 … (I know he was a Pom dressed in an Aussie uniform but!!! Aussies made the movie)…. a good example of why you should always ask the boss for the job description in writing, because if you don`t and the poo hits the fan…your on your own

Archived