Awoonga Tackle

Angus

Gday all.

Ok a lot of people have been throwing arounf suggestions of what is adequete for big barra at the upcoming trip to Awonga for some of us BRC members. I was surprised at the line class etc that was susggested by most people. I decided to investigate this further (As i really did not want to go any heavier than my Culcutta with 30lb Braid and 40lb Leader).

Thus i ventures out and purchased \"The fishing DVD Four\" featuring a segment on \"Lake Awoonga Barramundi\" with Steve Starling (Pro Fisherman) and Jason Wilhelm (Winner of the first Barra ABT at Awoonga).

Anyway i was pleased with what i heard :)

They use when going for the \"Big Ones\" 15lb-25lb braid with 30lb-40lb leader. This they consider, \"a little heavier than needed just in case\". This led me to believe i might just stick with my gear and bring extra braid with me just in case.

Also for all you going out to build up on your lure collection for teh trip. Starling informs me that in the warmer months (when we will be there) the majority of fish hold up in about 10-12 feet (about 3m of water). All lures explain how far their bibs design them to sink so i will fins this info most useful.

Also for trolling and retrieves they beleive a slow hap-hazzard retrieve is best. This is because althought when on, the fish fight like a beast, they are typical impountment feeders. This being quite lazy. Thus its good to tease them with random slow retrieves as if they see if blitzing past they will more than likely just ignore it!

Anyway i hope this is of use to some people.

Angus.

Angus - have you considered that the fish are two years older and bigger since the DVD was made? That's what I'm thinking anyway.

Also I figured that if you want to go with eth 30lb and find it too light you can change it when your there.

I am going 3 ways -

1.Trolling heavy and light but deep - that's why I want a down rigger.

2.Light bait caster so I can flick it all day and it not get too heavy on the are and hand, probably only about 20 lb Braid for arms and upper reaches.

3. Heavy bait castor with 50lb braid for the open water, his can be bigger overhead cause I wont be casting as often so not so tiring.

Want about split rings, connections, hooks, etc. I have been told that I either need to upgrade to heavy rings or use a snap clip backup. any thoughts.

Everyone i have spoken to has adv to upgrade your rings, and in some cases your hooks!

Also there was a couple of massive barra caught on the line strength that Angus was talking about in that dvd.

You realy dont need to go too heavy, but in saying that, things dont always work out as they're supposed to.

If i was going, i must admit i'd stay within the line class that Angus (or S. Sterling) adv. I only say this through heaps of people that i know that have gone up there given me adv.

angus,

i tihnk whats the ponit of using 50lb line there no fun i whould use sometihng like 20- 30 lb line but i still think thats heavey, when troling in the open water i whould be more liklyey to using light gear as there are no snags fo the barra to run you into

cheers ando

my 2 cents is if you want to use 20-30lb braid go ahead, 30lb braid could pull in a 60lb barra if played correctly, but when 30lb braid is bein dragged through timber is when it starts to fray, and 30lb frayed line will snap in an instant, 50lb is to avoid abraision by the sticks and same goes for the leader, so use 30lb braid but you will lose the fish of a lifetime, if you guys can hook it anyways.

I must say I am a bit worried about my knotts and joiners. I still use swivels to join my leaders. I do use joiner knotts when putting braid to nylon but I have never had to test the knot strength cause I haven't had a fish that took so much line.

So what's the go? What do I do? Does the site have any hints? Or are you just going to laugh yourself overboard at Awoonga. I asume there will be some friendly sledging!

Mike’s Simple Braid-Leader Connection

This uni-knot/blood knot combo is a quick way of joining braid to a fluorocarbon leader. The knot is small, very strong and does not catch the guides during casting.

For an information sheet with diagrams showing you how to do the knot email duncan@fishhead.com.au and put Mikes knot in the subject line.

Its a good knot we used at awonga last time only thing i have forgotten how to tie it so i am asking duncan to email it to me so will try and copy it to bulletin board when i get answer

rayke1938 wrote:

Mike’s Simple Braid-Leader Connection

This uni-knot/blood knot combo is a quick way of joining braid to a fluorocarbon leader. The knot is small, very strong and does not catch the guides during casting.

For an information sheet with diagrams showing you how to do the knot email duncan@fishhead.com.au and put Mikes knot in the subject line.

Its a good knot we used at awonga last time only thing i have forgotten how to tie it so i am asking duncan to email it to me so will try and copy it to bulletin board when i get answer

thats what knot i use, and brian you realy should use the joining knot not swivels as it losses strenght in your knots

Archived