Boating in MoretonBay

seagullsbreakfast

its more about your capability as skipper then wind speed or swell if you get to the ramp and you think it looks to sloppy then can it, dont second guess yourself when it comes to saftey on the water. The bay can get very messy very quick even with out a breeze around in the right area at the right tide pressure waves can be just as much a problem then wind and ocean swell. Shoot for good days such as 5-10knt early morn trips and head back in before lunch when the wind comes up a bit get comfortable get to know yours and your boats capabilities.

I asked a similar question a year ago and I've found that the 15 knot rule is a good enough guide.

I've got a 4.5m half cab 50hp.

Once the wind gets to 15 knots I slow down to 10-15 Kmh, It's not as much fun on the water, takes too long to get anywhere, and there wont be as many boats in the bay to back you up if something went wrong.

I go fishing around the Pin or Broadwater on 15+ knot days.

Cheers.

Murray.

Ok first of all swell doesn't exist in the bay. Swell refers to long period waves that travel hundreds or thousands of km away from the system that generated them.

In the bay you will only experience wind chop. Having said that in most situation I much prefer to be offshore in 15-20knot winds than in the bay. The bay having lots of shallows and strong currents makes it very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous.

In a boat like yours you will not get into trouble at 15knots but travelling at anything but a crawl will jar your back and rattle your fillings out, particularly if you are dealing with wind against tidal current.

And exactly what Tyrion said about hitting the water early and coming back in early. It is very commmon for 5-10knot forecast (seabreeze) on hot days to blow up in the afternoon to a 20-25knot seabreeze. 20-25knots in more open parts of the bay can become pretty scary.

I have 4.2 runabout with a 40 on the back and I don't head out in anything over 10. It can take 45-50 minutes to tangalooma cruising at 20 knots so it's a long uncomfortable trip back in anything more. Getting out early and back before lunch is the way to go but watch the forecasts and go with your gut instinct.

It is very commmon for 5-10knot forecast (seabreeze) on hot days to blow up in the afternoon to a 20-25knot seabreeze. 20-25knots in more open parts of the bay can become pretty scary.

And the Wild Banks/top of moreton is crazy even in 5knt winds. Went over it for the first time tuesday morning, going north via the SE edge was fine but coming back into the bay you have to be very careful and watch your back. Rogue waves were popping up everywhere

Top of moreton island is a pretty treacherous area that many people underestimate.

Like Regulated said freal waves pop up out of nowhere.

I have come back through there from offshore fishing zero wind but the whole width of the channel breaking. Swell was a pretty healthy 2.5m coming from the right (or wrong) direction. Tide was running out as well.

Depends which direction you are travelling and the tide. Generally working with a ind blowing up your tail is a lot easier and more comfortable. e.g. Driving straight into 10knots will be less comfortable than having 15knots behind you. Having said that I wouldn't recommend heading over to moreton with a westerly blowing as the closer you get to moreton the rougher it will be. If it blows up you can end up in trouble.

In my experience northerly tend to make the bay sloppy whereas a light E or SE is the calmest.

Archived