Interesting Fishing Sesh on the Peninsula

hulk

Been pretty busy of late and had the day to go fishing and do whatever I liked.Didn't really fancy driving up or down the coast for a fish after a draining week so i thought I would try Woody Point Jetty as it had been some time since I had last visited the area. Anyhow I get down there around 7am and last until about 1030am. I didn't get a substantial bite in the whole time I was there :angry: and I only saw two people catch a few shovellies so it really wasn't happening so I pondered what to do next. I settled on going to see what was happening at the mouth of the Scarborough Marina(I looked for Newport entrance but there would have been at least 6 or 7 people there.)

I set up near the entrance and within two minutes had a good strike :) and pulled in a little tailor which was sent on its way for another day. I also watched a sea turtle go back and forth along the rock wall. Shortly thereafter I had a massive hit on my heavier rod(rhinostick with 20lb braid)but after a few seconds it spat the hook. I think it may have been the turtle but still enough to get the adrenalin running a bit.

Anyhow spent another hour or so feeding little pickers and waiting for the crabs to get bored from playing with my bait.Suddenly there is another good hit on the rhino.

I strike and it feels like deadweight so I am confused as to what it may be. The picture becomes a lot clearer as I wind in.On the end of the line were two mudcrabs lets just say being very intimate :whistle: . I thought to myself that unless there were lesbian crabs then i have at least one buck to measure but how to get them away from the rocks,keep them on the line and get them back onto the flat surface above the rock edge was the big question.

Well after some help from a fella fishing nearby,the crabs were on the flat surface. By this stage the buck was riding like a cowboy on a bull at the rodeo as he had one claw warning us to keep our distance or we would cop it while still trying to hold on for dear life.The jennie mustve either got annoyed or the job was completed as she scurried back to the rock ledge and disappeared. By the bucks reaction,I get the feeling he may have not felt as though his job was done because he was peeved off big time.It had both claws up and leaning right back on its swimming flippers and no matter which direction I came at it from it danced around to let me know to buzz off.

What made it worse was the fact I was totally unprepared for the crab and had nothing to tie it down with and was only wearing thongs so the options seemed limited.

I decided I would empty my bait esky except for the ice and put him to sleep. I managed to lift him over the esky and at that very point his pincers snipped the line and into the esky he fell with the lid quickly shutting behind him.

After a few laughs with the fisho nearby, I decided that I was satisifed with the day and packed up. I dropped by to see a mate and cooked him there.If the pictures load correctly,you will see it's original size and also how full its claw was.

post-3805-144598711403_thumb.jpg

post-3805-144598711409_thumb.jpg

Archived