Quick river session 23/11

Shane69

After seeing how hot and humid it was today, plan was to hit up coomera for a arvo jack session with my brother and a mate.Things didnt go to plan and i had to stay back at work till late so my brother and mate carried on without me.

I was still eager to go for a fish after a long day at work but the weather made me think twice.At 8 i decided to give it a go anyway by myself. I took raincoat with me incase it did start to rain.

I hit up a spot in the river where i have had luck before and decided to throw some lures and plastics. It was very quite start. Wind made it harder. I decided to give it another hour, if nothing il just go back home.I changed a few plastics and hardbodies without anyluck.

At 10 i decided il try a new lure i bought from Noosa on the weekend and if nothing il pack up and leave.

Few cast nothing and than i felt a tugg. As i applied pressure it let go. Next cast same area and i was on. After a small fight a nice 60cm jewie comes up. It was a pain to land him as i forgot the landing net at home. Few photos and he went back.

After this i hooked on another 4 jewies ranging from 40-60.

I dropped 2 next to my leg beause i couldnt land them

I pulled the hook on 1 which i reckon was legal but oh well il get him next time.He was a good fight. It ran for ages.

To my suprise i also caught 2 taylor. Both legal.

I also snapped a trebble. I reckon it was a big taylor as he took it as soon as the lure dropped in the water.

It was a good session. Great fun on light gear. I was back home before it started to rain. As for my brother and mate. All they got was a few nice flatties. They Lost 4 lures to which they reckon were big jacks as they couldnt even stop the on lock drags.

I have also posted a photo of the lure i my fish on. Its got alot of battle scares. Il be putting new trebbles on it tommorow and hopefully go for another sess when this weather becomes better.

Finally my new brag mat got blooded.

post-9281-144598718039_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598718066_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598718074_thumb.jpg

post-9281-14459871808_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598718086_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598718094_thumb.jpg

post-9281-1445987181_thumb.jpg

You've got me thinking about hitting the Brisbane River 1 last time to try and catch a Jew or Thready before I leave for Tassie.

Thanks for shareing, got me drooling now. :P

Hey mate theres alot of small jewies in the river atm. Just have to find where they are and be there at right time. You only have hot bite for 30-45 minute.

You do catch them on bite but i prefer using lures and plastic.

Hey that's an asesome end to a quiet session. I am so envious right now, got me thinking I should head out for a couple of days today and try my luck agin.

Excellent work, thanks for the pics and inspiration :-)

Why not mate give it a shot.

Il give you tip. Try to fish the tides. Fish 2 -3 hours of outgoing.

Theres alot of places in the river that hold good fish just gotta be there right choice of lure or plastic

Some good action there Shane. thanks for the report. I have been thinking about going down to the comeera but I have been to busy everywhere else :P

Hey Ted hows it going.we needa go fishing together soon. Im still not over that cobia you pulled up from my spot at wavebreak. I reckon it was the same one i had on :whistle:

I havnt jack fishing in a while now. Im over coomera way too many boats n kayaks there trying to chase jacks. My mates got a few spots up goldy way where they being getting 5-6 jacks a sess so im going to hit it up when i have time.

You ready for BRC

Shane

Some good action there Shane. thanks for the report. I have been thinking about going down to the comeera but I have been to busy everywhere else :P

Hey Ted hows it going.we needa go fishing together soon. Im still not over that cobia you pulled up from my spot at wavebreak. I reckon it was the same one i had on :whistle:

I havnt jack fishing in a while now. Im over coomera way too many boats n kayaks there trying to chase jacks. My mates got a few spots up goldy way where they being getting 5-6 jacks a sess so im going to hit it up when i have time.

You ready for BRC

Shane

Busy with work and busy fishing. I still have a grin from the Cobia. :D

Heading up to Harvey Bay this weekend with KAF. Hopefully the Northerlies settle down. Looking forward to hitting up some Barra and Salmon.

Mate always keen for a fish and to learn how to catch a Jack. Will send you a PM when free.

I have not given the BRC a lot of thought at present. Heading down to Brunswick a few people from AFO and the boys next weekend. It has been a good month for fishing :P I Will get a plan the week coming up to BRC when I know the weather. should be a great comp with so many entrants.

That lure is a Gladiator slim Jim. They flutter as they sink and the idea is to let them snake along the bottom , pull them up and let them flutter down etc. The guys from Davos up here have been smashing all sorts of fish on them but I havnt had the best luck with them. I put in a few hours with them last year but lost the lures when my tackle box flew out the back of my boat just recently.

How were you fishing the "Slim Jim"? and on what line/leader class?

OK that's it! Ya got me, I have been thinking all day about friggen Jew out of the Brisbane River. I must get one before I leave for Tassie.

I have either 6lb or 3lb to use, I'll be flicking SP's and HB's. I'll have about 4 hours max to try and achieve my objective Sunday the 4th, I leave for Tassie on the 6th.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could flick me a PM on a spot or two to try and what tide to fish it. Damn if I didn't have to get up for work at 2:30am I would be going now! lol

Again Thanks for the incentive...

That lure is a Gladiator slim Jim. They flutter as they sink and the idea is to let them snake along the bottom , pull them up and let them flutter down etc. The guys from Davos up here have been smashing all sorts of fish on them but I havnt had the best luck with them. I put in a few hours with them last year but lost the lures when my tackle box flew out the back of my boat just recently.

How were you fishing the "Slim Jim"? and on what line/leader class?

Thats it mate. I got it from davos on saturday when i was down there.The bloke working there showed me how it worked in the fish tank. Im after a few more i went around a few tackle shops today but couldnt find anything. Those lures are the bomb i wish i knew about them before. I used it at noosa on weekend and got a trev.

I was using 8lb nano fill with 12 lb fluro leader. I was letting them sink and then flicking it up. It got a bit to get used too. i also learnt how "to walk the dog" i got more hits on walking the dog at the fish were feeding on top.

I also got the gladiator prawns. The guys reckon its a jack killer cant wait to use it. Also i want to see if the slim jims work in the bay for tuna.

Shane

Archived