tarpon and jacks ( noosa report )

madmullet

See the weather forecast for the weekend was bad, we decided to can the shark social. We were still keen to get out for a fish and were wondering where to go to get out of the wind. We decided on Noosa. A quick call to carter to meet up with him and to see what was happening.

We arrived at the ramp at 4.30 Saturday morning and not long after carter showed up as well. We had a quick chin wag and off we went across the lake to our destination. We threw surface lures, suspenders, shallow running, deep running lure and blades all morning for a couple stinking cat fish, 1 lizard

post-8878-144598722805_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598722813_thumb.jpg

and couple of tarpon on blades. We made the choice of calling it a day around 12.30 and planed to do it again on Sunday. That afternoon brad told me that unfortunately he had to go back home. He said, now you watch I will go home and you will have a good sesh.

I asked as if she wanted to join me seeing that brad had pulled out and headed home boat in tow. I didn’t have to ask her twice, yep she said straight away.

We got up at 4.00 and was at the ramp with straddiebrads boat at around 5.00 ( thanks again for the lend) we shot across the lake and I showed ash around the new world we discovered. We decided we wanted to hit the tarpon and then shoot up noosa river to hit the jacks later. We found a huge school of tarpon feeding on the surface and ash crabbed the 3lb outfit and threw a blade into the school and started slow rolling it back.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz she was on first cast, but very soon after it got of. She continued slow rolling it in and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz jump jump she was on again,
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYr_4q_MJ18&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

post-8878-144598722791_thumb.jpg

I told her to keep the rod low as you don’t want it jumping to much and throwing the hooks. After a few mins and some wicked areal work she boated a nice tarpon, a few pics and nicely released. We continued throwing blades at them with alot of bumps and semi hook ups. i got the next fish.

post-8878-14459872284_thumb.jpg

after that It got very quit and the fish went deep and stoped feeding so we made the decision to head for the river.

We arrived to our destination and deployed our lures. We trolled up the river for 2km and then came back down the river. We stoped to do a lure change and it paid off. With in 2 mins of trolling we were one, not a big fish but a jack none the less.

post-8878-14459872285_thumb.jpg

We continued trolling and I said to ash when we get to the next corner we will call it and got home. My diawa tierra spooled with 20lb pe on my 10kg camo stick went ballistic. I crabbed it out of the holder and played an awesome tug of war, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP6MuwBXdhY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

After a good fight it hit the surface and I was stoked, I grabed the leaded and lifted it in to the boat.

post-8878-14459872282_thumb.jpg

post-8878-14459872283_thumb.jpg

I was stoked, and sorry to say this, but yes I kept it and am having it for dinner tonight. We packed up and returned back to the ramp with glassed out conditions and a big smile.

post-8878-144598722859_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598722866_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Awesome jack Kurt - don't suppose you measured it? I've never caught one trolling (probably partly because I've only ever caught two of 'em!!!) but can only imagine how beserk they would go. Enjoy dinner - they taste great!

i did measure it last night before i cooked it. it was just over 44 to the fork.

Archived