My (late) bay fishing report (07/07/07)

Bullrout

Hi all, reports a bit late but, i've been crook as this whole week! Never spend a night out on the bay in winter with a sick person (how stupid am i!)

I was, in my defense, promised my first BIG jew... So with that in mind, an all nighter with my recovering-from-flu mate on his 4.3m was a risk i was willing to take, I'd been down to kooky that afternoon and got myself about 30 good size bait mullet, and at around 2100 we were dropping the boat into the redland bay boat ramp. We motored off to karagara island jetty to get a few pike and drop off crab traps, and there was heaps of surface activity, so i started playing around with my 2kg flicker and a smiths shrimp jig - i love this little lure! In about the hour (it only seemed like 15mins to me) i was told i was fishin, i got 13 tailor, 2 bream, 2 pike (including one who took the lure when i had it just dangling in the water while typing a mesage on my phone)! They were all undersized but great fun!

With a couple of pike, and the mullet in our possesion we headed off to a deep hole my mate knows about, and set out dropping some whole livies down for some action, it was an awesome night, lotsa stars, even more apperead the more rum i drank, and i was pretty set to get a jew. Unfortunatly nothing happened. At All. Save my mate catching a cast net that look like it had been in the water for 30 yrs (cast nets fight real good!)

So we moved a couple of times around the ledge during the night, lying in swags and having a bit of a snooze waiting to hear the magical zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of a drag...

Nope.

Nothing. We woke at about 5, just before sunrise, pulled in our baits. Not touched - no crab, squid or fishy bite marks. It was rather sad!

We got rid of the baits, headed into th bay, might have better luck if we could find a reef... We found one little drop off the yeilded us 5 undersized flathead, so moved again, and this produced and big Grinner. About to call it quits we reckoned, and as we were bringing our lines up, i snagged something big, and it fought really well!!! This is it i thoguht, this'll make being out all night worht it! Then... whoops. Nothing. I brought my line back up, the pig tail on the end of my leader telling me whati didnt want to know. My knot come undone (dammit!)

So we headed back into the boat ramp, the water was beauiful,so flat and clear, saw a fuel dolphins and turtles, always amazes me how much wild life is in the bay.

WE picked up the crabpots for a few undersized sandies, and 1 legal, and that it for us, headed back to the ramp... And i've been in bed since!

Ah well, gonna go try NP this arvo :)

ONly got a couple of photos of the first tailor, coz they were all the same size anyway! And after that we started getting to disillusioned with the size of our catches we didnt want any permanent record lol! One flathead i caught was smaller then the live mullet i caught it on!

07072007001.jpg

07072007.jpg

Benno

yeah mate reckon i will, i wont come for the early fish session though, too cold for me now! I'll tyr and be there by 7, see if ive got anything in the shed i'm willing to part with (i'm a hoarder :) )

I'll have to check the bank balance, ever since BCF opened here in the 'Switch i've been broke!

everyone always thinks they saw me, i beginning to feel like elvis :)

But yes, you did see me yesterday, i read your other post, I was in the pathy, i'd been out fishing the arvo and was on my way home saw those people fishing and thought 1 more cast lol

I checked out your brumby when i went back to the car, nice one, i always liked them with a bit of lift, running an EA82T i assume?

Cool. I'm not going crazy then, As long as I don't start seeing you in my dreams ... that could be a bit creepy!

It's actually running an imported ea81t which is a bit more reliable than the old ea82t, less prone to overheating and imploding :) I've also got an '81 leone sedan with an ej18 jammed in ( early imprezza ) with bigger lift, and crazy mud tyres for real offroad work.

depending what your seeing in your dreams i may have to charge you :)

I had an old L-series wagon i swapped a ea82t into, had a 4in lift, and all the other stuff, went well up the beach and rallying, but i got sick of exploding cv's :)

We'll have to catch up for a fish and BS sometime hey

sweet good luck on your jew fishing mate! I luckily bagged a decent black jew first bait first tripB) in Darwin:) I would like to get myself a mulloway sometime though. How do mulloway compare to black jew? The blacky nearly pulled my arms off on 80 lb braid and tasted sensational.

Archived