Catching feeder fish!!

pancakes_and_haggis

I have an excellent spot if you want poddy's around the 3-4inch size. otherwise go to big W and get one of the shrimp nets for 5$ throw some dog food/vegetable scraps/bread in it.

leave it in a local stream for an hour or two secretly tied off to the shore and come back to find a heap of the little buggers in there.

and you are helping to get rid of the pests. if you leave it in overnight you can get decent amounts of feeder shrimp also.

the creek ones will breed pretty easy, if you leave them in a pot outside the birds will eat the fancy ones.

even better if you can get swordtails and mollies fro your local creek because they grow a little bigger and breed really easy also.

grab some of whatever plant grows in the creek so the babies can hide and not get eaten by the parents

yeah the creek guppies are called gambusia. they bust out kids like crazy, then, they eat them all just as quick. baby barra go nuts for them. and being a pest species, you're doing your bit!

dont get caught with gambusia. They are a noxious pest and illegal to keep. most fish will outgrow guppies in no time at all.

Cast net is your best bet in the saltwater

But remember the quality of what you catch may not be very good for your fish. It can bring in disease. If you have the space put your livies in a clean tank for a week or so before feeind toy our fish. This will clean out any crap in their system and if you feed the lives a good quality pellet in enhances the goodness your fish will get from it.

Sometimes its better and easier to use commercial pellets. BUT NOWHERE NEAR AS FUN.

ITs a risk you take.

Creek guppies = Gambusia noxious fish same penalty as Tilapia.

Usually disease ridden, endless list of nasty flukes/worms and other parasites endemic in them as well as bacterial pathogens.

After incorrect paramaters and dietary deficiencies the most common cause of death in captive kept Jacks (and other carnivorous fish) is feeding urban creek caught poeciliids (gambusia,swordtails,platys guppys)

Just feed them pellets with shrimp, redclaw and anything legal that you can trap or castnet as a treat/ variation.

i had a barra that grew to 65cm. started of with jelly prawns, the shrimp and feeder gudgens then weened him of that with white bait, then grogie and then pillies. we used to catch mullet or by gold fish for treats when he was bigger.

the only reson we dont have him is because just before we went on 3 day holiday, i baught 8 gold fish droped them in and left. came back and he was covered in white spot. we treid treating it but he was to far gone.

so make sure the fish you buy/catch dont have white spot.

i breed the jelly prawns, shrimp and gudgens. try and brred your own so you know where the feeder food has been

as elops said stay away from guppies.

• 11 months later...

Archived