ID please? Snake

Eug

anyone handy with snakes and can tell me what this is? found it down the road and think it's a copperhead? maybe taipan?

next door and us have dogs so just wondering if we need to be a little extra vigilant.

not the best pics but might get some later this arvo.

cheers

eug

post-3471-144598756904_thumb.jpg

post-3471-144598756913_thumb.jpg

I am going to say keelback, but they do look very similar to tigers and rough scaled snakes. Only reason I say keelback is it looks right from your pics, and is the most commonly found of those 3.

Interesting fact about them is they are one of the only native species that have adapted to eat toads.

[img size=400]http://www.snakecatchers.com.au/images/Keel-back-(2).jpg

just to clarify i didn't kill it nor would i have, just found it on the side of the road and simply curious as our house backs onto bushland and we have dogs.

i agree kurt, all the pictures i've seen so far on the net regardless of species seem to point to venomous. how does the tail tell you it's poisonous btw?

+1 for keelback.

You can tell by the tail that it is venomous as the tail looks like a snake tail and that is enough evidence ! :lol: Also the tail is quite thin compared to the body, just like shortie's doodle (which is poisonous too apparently).

I would be glad for having sacrificial dogs in my yard too :unsure::P

plus 1 for the Tiger snake. I have keel backs on my property and regulary see them and have caught them and had them identified, I also have seen many tigers on my mums farm when I was a kid.

%99 sure its a TIGER :evil: Its head is too narrow to be a Death adder or any kind of python

Not a copperhead if you live in queensland.

Hard for me to tell, if you have a better pic of the head would be easier. But in all cases treat them as dangerous and leave them alone. Dont try to kill it as this is when most bites happen.

Just to clear that statement up as far no copperheads in Queensland There is a golf course out the back of beaudesert that's name means copperhead in aboriginal.(can't remember the name of the golf course)and yes we do have tiger nakes in queensland

Can't be 100% sure from the photos, but I'd be very confident it's a keelback, Body, Head shape and pattern are a very strong match. If Eug gets a clearer photo of the scales along the back (Particularly behind the head)and if each scale has a small ridge (giving the impression of parallel lines) then that will go a long way to confirm it.

post-6932-14459875703_thumb.jpg

thats a king brown Eug.

:pinch: jeez i hope not!!

will try to get some decent pics this evening. crazy how many different snakes look alike. i swore this morning it could have been a taipan as the only other one i've seen was a similar colour but looking at all the pics on the net it probably isnt.

thats a king brown Eug.

:pinch: jeez i hope not!!

will try to get some decent pics this evening. crazy how many different snakes look alike. i swore this morning it could have been a taipan as the only other one i've seen was a similar colour but looking at all the pics on the net it probably isnt.

Send a pic into dpi that's what I did with one of the snakes we found on our property and they got back to us the next day

thats a king brown Eug.

as for the copperheads in qld during the floods here at karalee there were a few copperheads on the high ground seen by many people even up near the school,they were copperheads they were id'd by a local snake handler who was very exited.

Doesn't look like a king brown to me...the colour isn't right and the body not slender enough. We used to see lots of them at beautiful Bulimba Creek in the 70's and 80's :whistle: :P :woohoo: :lol::lol:

I just dropped a note to one of the Herpatologists at the Museum - I let you know what they said when I get a reply.

BTW: colour, and size of tail are poor indicators of snake species. The best advice about snakes I've heard is to give them a wide berth. Australia has a disproportionate percentage of the world's most dangerous snakes and some are particularly pugnacious.

The Museum website has some very good information about snakes -

/>http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Reptiles/Snakes

>http://www.snakecatchers.com.au/Keelback.html

according to this it's a keelback, non -venomous, so your dogs are safe. :)

Also the tail is quite thin compared to the body, just like shortie's doodle (which is poisonous too apparently).

Tried to do a google for Shorties doodle...but it said ...unable to find Shorties doodle?? :unsure::unsure:

Cheers. ;);)

I havnt seen my doodle in years either.

Obviosuly Brian Has going by his earlier comment. ;) :whistle:

It's not a Tiger Snake as they have thicker bands around the body which are usually 4-5 scales wide.

Taipans don't generally have black scales on them and it's not a Death Adder as the tail is too long and thin.

It's possible to be a Keelback but they generally have fine lines on the side of their face starting just behind the eyes.

My guess going on the scale pattern and the large eye is a Brown Tree Snake and often referred to as a Swamp Tiger.

It's not a Tiger Snake as they have thicker bands around the body which are usually 4-5 scales wide.

Taipans don't generally have black scales on them and it's not a Death Adder as the tail is too long and thin.

It's possible to be a Keelback but they generally have fine lines on the side of their face starting just behind the eyes.

My guess going on the scale pattern and the large eye is a Brown Tree Snake and often referred to as a Swamp Tiger.

a guy here at work also says brown tree snake which is apparently common in brisbane. he says they are mildly venomous.

a guy here at work also says brown tree snake which is apparently common in brisbane. he says they are mildly venomous.

The brown tree snake is rear fanged, so it needs to chew on its prey before it can inject it with venom, and are they are Mildly venomous, I'm still sticking with a brown tree, it has the same head patter in every picture I've seen and very similar colors

Archived