Long Tail Tuna - Tips & Tricks

PlasticFantastic

Longtail on a plastic from a kayak. Shazam. :)

On the topic of tuna - depending on dates I'm happy to join anyone in search of tuna from a boat. My tuna caught in the yak in the post above was on a plastic. Have caught them on slugs and plastics, in the boat and kayak.

Speaking of which - Jeremy, we'll have to head out again and get yourself a longtail :P

In the mean time Mark I can have a think about some tips etc for chasing tuna, and add to anything anyone else puts up

Toonie: Some may disagree here, but this is what I have noticed, and also agrees with what the blokes at Jones' Tackle once told me.

Generally speaking, Longtails are never far out. If you're going out more than 2-3 kilometres from the beach, you're going too far out for Longtails from what I've seen.

Despite being called a "Pelagic" they really are more of an inshore fish.

Edit: just to clarify: You may have to paddle out further in the bay... my distance was more meaning OFFSHORE. and is indicative of my fishing experiences at Noosa, Mooloolaba, Caloundra, Hervey Bay, Brisbane River and Fraser Island. Note, I haven't fished for them in Fraser or Hervey Bay, but have seen them in the boats - and they were all close to shore.

Runty: I just made an edit to my original post re distances.

I have seen them in the Brisbane River, and did catch 3 70-80cm mac tuna in the river one year. Jeff F's avatar/display pic is of a 70-75cm mac tuna caught around the same time I got 3 in the river.

Most of my fishing though is out of Caloundra.

Ha awesome, hopefully i get a nice surprise heading out to mud next :D Do you see them busting up ? or in bird schools?

I don't think its often they come that far in mate, I think it was more to do with the water at the time - from memory it was when we were well and truly in a dry spell.

It was the normal bust ups and birds working...

Except bust ups right up against boats with tugs working etc.

Just proves (to me) that NOISE isn't the thing that puts Tuna off on the water... :) Something shuts them down, and is related to noise...but not necessarily noise in general.

I don't think its often they come that far in mate, I think it was more to do with the water at the time - from memory it was when we were well and truly in a dry spell.

It was the normal bust ups and birds working...

Except bust ups right up against boats with tugs working etc.

Just proves (to me) that NOISE isn't the thing that puts Tuna off on the water... :) Something shuts them down, and is related to noise...but not necessarily noise in general.

Really, that would be soo sick getting one in the Brissy river!! How far out do you reckon i need to go? thinking a good day during the holes might just keep heading till i found something working! :D

Nice write up Mark, I think I will struggle to get you to deckie on my boat now you might get better offers.

Few more points to add.

Alot of the time tuna will feed into the current or into the wind which ever is stronger. When approaching a school always try and run parallel with them and fire a cast in front of the school, sometimes a boat in there path even if the motor is already off will shut them down. Depending on the day sometimes it is better to leave your motor in idle as the sudden change of something as little as turning your motor off can also shut them down. When casting at a school try and cast to the lead fish or to the edges this is where the bigger fish will be. If you do find a solitary bird on a solitary fish these are usually the big boys, they don't get that big by hanging with the crowds. It is an old wise tail when chasing pelagics that the height that the birds are hovering above the water is also the depth the fish are down is also actually very accurate. They are a very frustrating fish but well worth it once hooked.

Also if you see a black and white centre console near a school of tuna keep far far away :)

Andrew

Nice work Mark, cover all bases nicely :)

My experience with longtails I have found plastics to be a lot more effective than metals slugs, matching the hatch is an interesting topic

In Hervey Bay late last year the sessions we had we found they were eating small white bait around 3 inches long yet we were cranking 5" pink, red & white soft plastics with amazing success

Having a variety of 3, 4 or 5" SP's will put anyone in a good position.

Another theory i'm believing more is that they tend to push the bait towards/against the wind or current to slow the school and ball em up, you wouldn't set your clock by this but more recent trips we have kept notice of these types of conditions and can provide you with an option to predict the next surfacing or general direction to attempt stay close to them.

Dolphins - If you see dolphins near showings of bait or Dolphins in the vicinity of were Tuna were just sited, if your close cast at the Dolphin (in front of them), large longtails maybe one or two only will stalk the dolphins looking for the next bait school to feed on. This is a far out statement but I was told of this a year ago and have heard of occurrences where this worked and witnessed the exact thing i'm talking about on our last trip where a 25kg longtail was brought boat side from that exact tactic :)

if you have been following Tuna and they go under the surface, If you see birds working a spot nearby but no tuna on the surface don't be deterred by throwing a few speculators - it could be your ahead of the game and may still hook one here and there whilst chasing them - it can increase your chances of success

great read, cheers for the effort. I would add that they hit the BBQ very, very well. There is a 'bleed-out' point around the wrist of the tail and under the pectoral fin that will increase their table quality. Eaten raw is very nice too. I will also say that one single fish is a massive amount of actual food so unless you have a family of 20+ one tuna will do the trick nicely.

thanks Mark !

Very good write up mate

It gave me a few tips too.

Longtails are fun n frustrating to chase. I have had all my luck various colours of 14 gram slugs with upgraded single decoy jigging hook. Marias have being most productive for me. They look like small white bait.

You need decent gear for lontails as they dont know when to stop. I personally have burnt about 4-5 carbonated drags playing with these.

If you fishing metals, you need a High spining reel. You have better chance of landing one. I use a stradic fj 5000 for most pelagics in the bay n its not overly expensive.

I fish bait too but i wouldnt bother for chasing tuna in the bay. More fun chasing schools with metal slugs.

For those who do want to use bait. Go grab a few livies and sit at the beacons. Good chance of catching them n also bycatches like cobia n mackerel. Get in early on a calm weather weekend because every man and his dog is there tryna catch his trophey fish. Its a car park.

This is just my 2 cents n i have had most of my luck fishing this way.

I cant wait for this. Its going to be fun. Itl be good meet new faces.

Same as Andrew if you see a black center console working on a school of tuna with a black guy in it stay away lol go find your own school :evil:. Tuna get scared easily.

As the event comes closer i will be looking for a deckie to take with me.

Runty: I just made an edit to my original post re distances.

I have seen them in the Brisbane River, and did catch 3 70-80cm mac tuna in the river one year. Jeff F's avatar/display pic is of a 70-75cm mac tuna caught around the same time I got 3 in the river.

Most of my fishing though is out of Caloundra.

Longies are often found out the front of the river on the rock wall early in the morning.

Excellent write up. I have only caught a few but things I have learned:

1. They can show up anywhere and I mean anywhere not just closer to shore. I have caught longtails on livies fished right on the bottom (heavy patternoster) 30kms off Fraser Island. Have also heard of several reports of them being caught well into Pumicestone Passage.

2. If you are short on plastics or slugs but have a spare livie use it. Just lob it straight into the action and it will likely get smashed.

3. When winter westerlies have well and truly set in, longtails feed in really close to bribie. Just reiterating the whole feeding into the wind or current thing. Have heard it is possible to catch them off the beach with a bit of luck.

Hey Andrew,

Have you had any longtail encounters on popper?

Quality post!

Look out Longtails. :)

My Favourite lure style would have to be a sinking stick bait, with either a super fast burn on the surface

or a slow pump and wind.

Oh I cant wait for some calm weather :cheer:

During my second longtail fight, my mate fired out a 8 inch popper/surface slider and it was smashed so close to the boat we got wet!

Nice write up Mark, I think I will struggle to get you to deckie on my boat now you might get better offers.

Few more points to add.

Alot of the time tuna will feed into the current or into the wind which ever is stronger. When approaching a school always try and run parallel with them and fire a cast in front of the school, sometimes a boat in there path even if the motor is already off will shut them down. Depending on the day sometimes it is better to leave your motor in idle as the sudden change of something as little as turning your motor off can also shut them down. When casting at a school try and cast to the lead fish or to the edges this is where the bigger fish will be. If you do find a solitary bird on a solitary fish these are usually the big boys, they don't get that big by hanging with the crowds. It is an old wise tail when chasing pelagics that the height that the birds are hovering above the water is also the depth the fish are down is also actually very accurate. They are a very frustrating fish but well worth it once hooked.

Also if you see a black and white centre console near a school of tuna keep far far away :)

Andrew

If Mark gets to cool for you Andrew ill take his seat :)

I have caught countless numbers of these pests and anyone that knows me you'll understand that statement but since the target species is in the bay i can pass on some tips for them.

The shipping channels in the bay like out from Bribie island or the inside of moreton island and all channels inbetween are your best bet to start at but all channels like the rainbow channel and the rous along north stradie and the deeper parts of the bay are a good bet.

As others have said before the birds are the sign post of working tuna and look for terns in particular they are the real fisherbirds not seagulls.

You want to start peppering them with your lures when the birds stop flying along and start to hover abover the bustup and then they dive into the bait balls driven up by the tuna get up wind or up current from them don't drive through the school see the way they are moving and let them come to you.

If you see any disturbance in the water in the bay (bustup) the birds just haven't found it yet give it a go you can do alot of miles some days chasing tuna it can be hit and miss.

Lures have been covered by many here already but i like chrome slugs and have a range of sizes to suit the bait that maybe there lures first catch the fishereman and i say its not about colour but size as size really does matter.

You can try the shipping beacons if there is no activity for the day and anchor up so the baits drift down towards the beacon or do drifts past the beacon all shipping beacon will hold pelagics at times so there is no real secret spot but in my experience the ones off bribie and moreton and the start to the rainbow channel just inside southpassage bar do hold them more often.

If your doing this pilchards are probably your best bait and you can still throw lures at the beacon while your drifting baits down

My biggest in the bay was an 18kg longy caught on a pilchard while fishing for mackerel in the raibow channel

Good luck

never caught one in moreton bay but i've caught hundreds in hervey bay

long tail tuna can be a very single minded fish. at times they will lock onto one species of bait fish and will not touch anything else, this is ok when it is white pillies or frogmouths its easy to match, but when they lock onto "eyes" ( 20mm, see through bait fish) its very hard to match the bait size with anything castable. it's always a good idea to have an assortment of very small barrel sinkers painted white or silver with you, just thread the sinker on your leader and tie a hook on.

clear plastics are good.

always have a few gold halco twistys with you sometimes when they wont touch any of the chromies or slugs a bright shiny gold spinner will get them going

long tail tuna can be a very single minded fish. at times they will lock onto one species of bait fish and will not touch anything else, this is ok when it is white pillies or frogmouths its easy to match, but when they lock onto "eyes" ( 20mm, see through bait fish) its very hard to match the bait size with anything castable.

Jeff, have you found this with Longtails?

To be honest, I have found that with Mac Tuna, and NOT longtails...

Plus I'm pretty sure the blokes at Jones' Tackle said the same thing to me one time (that it's the Mac Tuna that are picky, and not the longies)

what a terrific thread,

i have a trip with (bargy) from fraser guided fishing next weekend. A mate of mine (who has caught quite a few in hervey bay) gave me a few proven plastics to use. I thought i might add them along with the examples that plastic fantastic has shared. (thanks mate)

post-8991-144598773567_thumb.jpg

The jig heads are 5/8 ounce with a heavy guage hook.

cant wait to get onto my first tuna.

what a terrific thread,

i have a trip with (bargy) from fraser guided fishing next weekend. A mate of mine (who has caught quite a few in hervey bay) gave me a few proven plastics to use. I thought i might add them along with the examples that plastic fantastic has shared. (thanks mate)

[attachment=48282]035.JPG[/attachment]

The jig heads are 5/8 ounce with a heavy guage hook.

cant wait to get onto my first tuna.

Are those snapbacks?