Long Tail Tuna - Tips & Tricks

PlasticFantastic

Thanks very much for the effort you put into your post Tunafreak - much appreciated by myself and I'm sure plenty of others. I came across them a few weeks ago between Shornecliffe and the Measured Mile but couldn't entice one with a few different slugs - need to have an assortment of plastics at the ready. Geez 10 each in a day is awesome!!!

Kmcrosby, that can be a productive run through there, there are allot of mack tuna getting through there at the moment also and it is easy to mistake them for Lt's if you don't know what you are looking for.

Mack tuna feed fast and thrashy and push water differently to a longie, the schools also travel quite fast.

Lt's will usually move a bit slower and sit in the same spot for longer and ball the bait up more, sometimes they feed quite gently but other times they feed quite aggressively/violently and there's no mistaking what they are as there is not really any other fish in the bay that pushes water like a Lt..

Some people will tell you that you identify longie schools by the fish jumping out of the water, this is partly true as it is something longtail do but not something they always do, other species including mack tuna will jump also.

Like I said in my previous post, slugs have their place and work well for surface busting schools but plastics are more productive.

The most successful slug I've used over the years has been the river to sea 25 gram sea rocks, favourite colours are the pink, pearl white and pilchard colour, I always replace the trebles with singles. I like to use mustard hoodlums for singles, I remove the split ring from the slug and open up the eye of the single hook (heat it first) and attach it directly to the tow point of the lure, this method also helps the lure run more true in the water and reduce spinning. I have used purpose made singles but have bent them and went back to hoodlums as I've never bent one.

Cheers,

Al

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

There has been a bit of chatter about catching long tails this week so I thought I would drag up this post which has some excellent advice about chasing the elusive critters in Moreton Bay. Might help some of the new members who may have joined since it was last replied to. You may need a couple of hours to read it all, but there is some great stuff in here.

Love it! Cheers 

• 1 month later...

Mate send a PM (Personal Message - he is on page 6 of this thread, click on his username and you'll be able to message him) to @tunafreak who builds his own and should be happy to help you. I'm not sure how often he checks this site but when you send him a PM it should pop up in his email.  Good luck - let us know how you get on.

He doesn't visit the site anymore unfortunately @kmcrosby78. Last time I spoke to him he wasn't building rods for others anymore from memory.

@bowds13 a minimum of 12-20lb rod with a 7'2 minimum length. You can afford to go a little heavier and longer than that and you certainly wont regret having the extra power on the 15kg+ moreton bay longies if you hook up to one.

The longies up north are smaller and you can afford to go lighter.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look around and see what I can find. might have to get a 8" blank and cut it down to what I need. I think I'll go on the heavier side and use it as a big stick bait/plastic rod for the big longies. Now I just have to sort out getting a chance to actually go fishing.

12 hours ago, bowds13 said:

Thanks guys, I'll have a look around and see what I can find. might have to get a 8" blank and cut it down to what I need. I think I'll go on the heavier side and use it as a big stick bait/plastic rod for the big longies. Now I just have to sort out getting a chance to actually go fishing.

Keep it 8' or close to it I reckon! Having that little extra casting distance from a longer rod can be the difference between a fish or not sometimes. Once fighting the fish under the boat you will curse long rods, but at least you got the hookup and that's all that matters ;)

• AFO unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 31/05/2022 at 10:05 PM, Kizzyaggots said:

Some real nice steaks there on those little drag busters. Can anybody recommend Shimano reels and rods to suit these brutes?

I just bought a Stradic 6000 with 30 lb braid. Its pretty fast and a great reel for the price. I matched it with a live fibre 7 foot RLF8 (8 - 15kg).

This is probably considered light for longtails and if there are lots of sharks I don't think you would get any to the boat. The plus side is it is very nice to cast and light in your hand. Its all about compromise... if and you could go a LOT heavier. Up to you.