Tough Mudder - Brisbane 2013

Terry H

G'day AFOers!

I know its a fair way away, however some of the boys at work have been talking about Tough Mudder for 2013 in Brisbane.

What is tough mudder you ask?

/>http://toughmudder.com.au/events/brisbane-2013/

In short (unlike the event), its a bad ass obstacle course that is designed to break you. They say its not a race, but a challenge to finish. Personally, it sounded like a challenge and something I'd love to throw myself into.

If you finish in the top 5%, you can do the worlds toughest mudder - which consists of how many times you can do the obstacle course in 24 hours... :woohoo:

Anyone from AFO considering this event?

Just throwing the idea out there for a potential AFO team?

I am keen do you think I am fit enough :P

I am in the same category. I reckon I would have been able to have a good crack at it about ten years ago but now I am now too old, lazy and fat.

Hey Ted maybe we can form a fat, old bastards team?

Sounds like a plan - I wonder how long we have to finish the course - 1 week? :whistle:

I am keen do you think I am fit enough :P

I am in the same category. I reckon I would have been able to have a good crack at it about ten years ago but now I am now too old, lazy and fat.

Hey Ted maybe we can form a fat, old bastards team?

Sounds like a plan - I wonder how long we have to finish the course - 1 week? :whistle:

me too ,to old to fat to lazy.

was hard enough doing the relay for life ,did about 100 laps over the 18 hrs .

first 2 times was one lap then light headed ,sorted out my sugar then did 3 laps all good and worked my way up over the night to 10 laps before rest .the kids and colleens 60 year dad smashed what i did ,kids ran it all the time till the crashed and slept ,colleens dad walked about 16 hrs of it with 2 hrs rest over the 18 hrs .walking at at least twice the pace of me .

so i mite need 2 week to do this kind of thing .

if it was 6 years ago when i was at the meat works and before i did my back ,i had got my fitness and weight to almost the same level as my late teens /early 20's. 20 i was 65 to 70 kg i could jog, walk or ride a bike all day.then i lost it between 25 and 30 being lazy ,30 to 32 went from 95 to 75 kg and able to go hard again.did my back and went back to 95 and been unfit since then ,back to 82 kg now and slowly working of getting some kind of fitness back.

Cmon fellas,

It's a year away! In a years time, with some discipline I guarantee you can shed any and all the weight you want (assuming you genuinely want to! And NO - I'm not talking about busting your arse in the gym or runs - you can easily shed kilos sitting on the couch don't sweet FA. Exercise only speeds up the process. A year is a long time, and you could easily move yourself from the "too fat and lazy" to the "lean, fit and loves exercise" category :)

Davo - if you don't mind me asking mate, what happened to your back?

I'll keep this in mind and see if we can't create an event in the AFO calender a bit later for those that are keen!

If you pre-register you save $10 on registration. I think Sydney was about $80 pre-register price, then $90 normal, then as it got closer it increased up to $150!

Cmon fellas,

you can easily shed kilos sitting on the couch don't sweet FA.

Davo - if you don't mind me asking mate, what happened to your back?

/quote]

at the meat works i put it out (same spot 5 times over the years ) and damaged a muscle ,its a week spot and always fails first .i do have exercises to do and it is getting stronger but every time i go to had it gives me grief .

i got calcium deposits on my back ,bulging and a fractured (disk or vertebrae) i can't remember which part is which .when its real bad i can't move ,laying on my back i can not even roll on my side .end up with pins and needles in the whole of my leg . think from when i got pinned between my 60 series and my bro's ute ,got medication that i take when its real bad but it puts me to sleep and nerve stabiliser to settle it down but only need to take it when its bad .still better than root injections or them cutting me open ,its been pretty good for a year now .haven't had to take the strong meds or nerve pills .

so i'm just getting old and paying for the abuse i have given my body ,but it manageable and getting better .but it will never be like it was before .

shed kilos sitting on the couch don't sweet FA ,so true ,i have lost 13 kg with just change of diet since becoming diabetic .13 kg over 4 months .

now i'm working on give up the smokes and then i will start with some exercise as my weight loss has come to a stand still and my cardio is real bad these days.i get puffed walking .

guess we will see what happening in six months .

Hey terry.

I almost had my flights booked for sydney but at the last minute realised I was supposed to be best man at a wedding that weekend. That was close.

But yeah I'll be doing it with work people for the bris one. Training for sydney one starts in 2 weeks... that's gonna be fun.

i've been wanting to do one of these for a coulee of years, i've got a few friends in the states that do them every year and love then. unfortunately I'm going to be on a cruise when the Brisbane one is on next year so might have to settle for going to the Sydney our Melbourne event next year.

This is a classic! I was telling my mrs about this and that I seen it on AFO and she tells me she's already signed up to do it :blink: .....wait till she sees the waiver, she's a safety manager for TMR and constantly risk assesses me whenever I do ANYTHING :silly: I'll be there for sure! On my chair with a stubbie :P !

Archived