Gear For The Pin?

Angus

Hey guys.

What gear is everyone taking for flatty hunt.

At the advice of funfisher i have stocked up on 5'' Nuclear Chickens with some heavier jig heads than i would usually use weighing in at 1/4 and 1/2 ounce.

Ill be fishing these on my Shimano Twin Power and Starlo Stick.

Tanya will be fishing with a Shimano Stradic and a Starlo Stick.

Id be interested to know what other people are trying out though.

Apparantly (according to one of the guys at Jone's Tackle) there are loads of little tailor there at the moment. Enough to annoy any plastic fishermen with an abundance of lost tails.

Angus

ok here is a shock

I'll be taking a few outfits

For Jewies I will be using a Blacksheep with 60lb 4pe braid on a med-heavy 6'6\" diawa procaster. Using 6-9\" plastcis in both paddle tails and stick baits with colour ranging from black and gold to white and grey. Leaders will be 30lb twisted and doubled at the buisness end to give me 120lb.

For the Tailor I will by using a Daiwa 4000 loaded with 30lb briad on a 7' med snapper rod. Connecting metal spiners, big blue plastics and pillies on a 3 gang.

For Flatties I'll be flicking a 6'6\" pfluger plastic flick stick (my new pride and joy) matched with shamino 2500 loaded with 15lb fireline and 8lb twisted leader doubled at tne business end to give an amazingly fine 32lb of stretchy leader but very thin. I have 4\" pumpkinseeds and watermelon grubs on large heads (assorted for the tides, also some purple, pink, grey, white and green stick baits.

Do you want to hear about my back up's?

Angus wrote:

chippee wrote:
i would love to enter into this flat head hunt, how do i ?

Just rock up its not a comp.

Angus

Angus.. From Chippees post in the other thread it sounds like seriously game on....LOL

I stocked up on grubs in pumpkinseed and minnows in smelt and nuclear chicken. Thats about all I need really to get me into trouble.

Ohh... and I will bring an EGGFLIP!!

I'm not going on the Flattie trip either, but I would usually either use my Pfluegar President low profile with 15lb Tuf Line with 16lb Flurocarbon leader & a 3-6kg river raider rod (Baitcaster combo). Or for fun, My Okuma Travertine with 6lb fireline, 6lb flurocarbon leader & a 2-4kg Shimano SSS rod (Spin Combo)

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/07/31 21:18

Brian D wrote:

ok here is a shock

I'll be taking a few outfits

For Jewies I will be using a Blacksheep with 60lb 4pe braid on a med-heavy 6'6\" diawa procaster. Using 6-9\" plastcis in both paddle tails and stick baits with colour ranging from black and gold to white and grey. Leaders will be 30lb twisted and doubled at the buisness end to give me 120lb.

For the Tailor I will by using a Daiwa 4000 loaded with 30lb briad on a 7' med snapper rod. Connecting metal spiners, big blue plastics and pillies on a 3 gang.

For Flatties I'll be flicking a 6'6\" pfluger plastic flick stick (my new pride and joy) matched with shamino 2500 loaded with 15lb fireline and 8lb twisted leader doubled at tne business end to give an amazingly fine 32lb of stretchy leader but very thin. I have 4\" pumpkinseeds and watermelon grubs on large heads (assorted for the tides, also some purple, pink, grey, white and green stick baits.

Do you want to hear about my back up's?

ahaha nice Brian, after all those hard brain-racking hours you have spent in tackle stores its finally paid off.

this my friend is your moment of glory, soak it up and enjoy it. B)

If I was able to come it would be a 6'6\" Berkley DS 1-3kg with a Sienna 1000, 4lb fireline, 8lb FC leader and squidgy shads.

A month ago it would have been the calcutta rig that plasticman got off me. Lucky I am not going otherwise I would start to miss it.

Wooohoo....Yes!!

Well guys I'm a confirmed deckie for Jamie (polyphonic) I'll be taking along my pinnacle extant spin rod loaded with fireline and my old favourite flattie rig 3 x 3/0 gangs

and for SP my ancient ugly stick baitcaster with abu promax baitcast reel.

Thats if I can finetune the abu reel between now and then. lately its been casting fine for the first 20-30 metres and for some reason the spool slows down as if the casting knob has been tightened, buggered if I know how this happens:(

Only thing I can think of is I over oiled it last time and its gumming up once a bit of heat is applied.

has anyone else had this happen?

Btw big thanks to Jamie for the spot, much appreciated and look forward to meeting youse all.

cheers

Well I'll start with the small bait rod 7' Ugly Stick with a Daiwa Kastor 2500, 8lb fireline and 15lb leader.

Next is the Snapper rod with a Daiwa spin reel, 30lb mono and a poternose rig, sounds weird but I have picked up a fair few flatties with this rig.

And last is a small Penn Captiva combo with 6lb Fireline and 12lb leader for S.P.s and hard bodies.B)

I'm thinking about taking two outfits.

For samller hardbodies and plastics I will go with a Penn Captiva 2000 on a Pflueger Trion about 6'6 long, loaded with 8 pound fireline and 10 pound flurocarbon leader.

For larger lures (and hopefully bigger fish:laugh: ) I will use my Shakespeare Tempest 4-8 kg 6ft matched with a Shimano Sahara 4000 spooled with 14 pound fireline and 20 pound leader.

I went a bit crazy at work today and bought about 10 packets of Juro Firebaits cause they were half price, hope they are OK:blink:

Has anyone used them? I basically bought a pack of every thing we keep them in.

Most of them are prerigged, so $3.95 a pack was hard to pass up.

I will also be bringing my arsenal of soft and hard bodies collected over the last 5 years or so!

Tommorrow night is prep night so I have a day or two to buy what I don't have.

Does anyone have a favourite flattie lure that they would reccommend I add to my collection?

That'd be a bit flash Feral. We'll be sharing the coke bottle that my grandfather passed to my father and then onto me. They don't make em like that anymore.

It'll be spooled with the usual packing string my grandmother preferred.

I hope the cork doesn't fall out of the top this time. Last time we got very thirsty after spilling half of the water we were able to acquire from the church after everyone at the christening had gone outside.;)

Feral wrote:

If you vaseline that string Ellicat, it will last a lot longer!

Thanks for that tip Feral - I'll check we can spare some:P

I tend to agree with your point. There's just as much obsession with the tackle these days as there is with the fishing (hey Brian;) ) Not that there's anything wrong with that. It makes me chuckle.

I went through a phase of organising fishing trips away with mates. We'd all toddle on down to the tackle shop and blow hundreds of dollars on expensive lures and lines etc beforehand and then head off. More often then not we'd get back to land with nothing and find some dastardly prepubescent kid had caught the best fish of the day with a 30lb handline from the bank at the boat ramp!

I wish i could go guys, but i gotta work all weekend.

If i was going, i`d be flicking hardbodies with a Daiwa Capricorn 2000a on a Mojiko Tournament 1-3kg light weight rod with 4lb Superstring.

I don`t know how it works here, but back home i`d also float a livey or a pilchard under a balloon off the tip of my Daiwa Saltist rod and reel.

Old habits....

Archived