Aus Bass pet owners

sari96

I'm thinking of getting a couple bass tomorrow for some pets and I was just wondering what are the UPS and DOWNS of having these fish and are there any important pointers to keeping the fish healthy and alive, do you need to do water tests?

If you are asking about doing water tests and keeping fish I think you should start with something basic like guppies to grasp the general concept of "fish keeping" before jumping to something that is predatory like bass or any other native

I've owned many many species of fish that were hard to look after so I know about looking after, but I'm wondering if you have to do water testing for bass like you have to for tropical species

If you have kept a few fish before then bass will be easy, just do as shortie said with the water and you'll be sweet. I reckon only get one bass, it will have more character and be a much more enjoyable fish to keep. I've had bass with other fish and they tend to shy away and be boring but the one I have at the moment is on it's own and is the coolest little fish, he comes right up at feeding time and doesn't muck about, and he loves an insect or two B)

If you have kept a few fish before then bass will be easy, just do as shortie said with the water and you'll be sweet. I reckon only get one bass, it will have more character and be a much more enjoyable fish to keep. I've had bass with other fish and they tend to shy away and be boring but the one I have at the moment is on it's own and is the coolest little fish, he comes right up at feeding time and doesn't muck about, and he loves an insect or two B)

Your own private lure tester eh Ant?

Ok interesting, thanks for the tip. Have you taught your bass to smack things from the surface like ants?? Will the bass grow to big for the tank or will it stay a suitable size for the tank like some fish.??

Your own private lure tester eh Ant?

:whistle: :whistle: :evil:

how do bass barra and a sara go together? im very tempted

Not a good combo end up with Toga only.

Unless you're anaconda. We've got a 60cm+ barra and toga and a 40 and 25cm bass all together. Small bass is the latest occupant and gets bullied a bit but the rest all get along fine. Not sure what size they all were when they were put in though

Unless you're anaconda. We've got a 60cm+ barra and toga and a 40 and 25cm bass all together. Small bass is the latest occupant and gets bullied a bit but the rest all get along fine. Not sure what size they all were when they were put in though

you have no idea how many fish have died in that bloody tank man. there used to be like 6 or 7 barra, yellowbelly and another couple of bass man. That is the result if you put like 15 fish in and let the strongest survive and they MIGHT live together. i used to have to feed those fish like 3 times a day or the barra would eat the bass/yellowbelly or the saratoga would kill everything. once the boss said i was feeding them to much so i told him 2hrs and he just looked at me. what do you know a couple hours later the barra ate the smallest barra lol. It is possible to put aussie natives together but a lot has to do with the nature of the fish which isnt predictable.

Last time I was in there those poor bass didn't look too crash hot :blush:

hey guys, i'm looking at stocking a dam at work and was wondering if anyone can tell me where i can get some fingerlings from? approx 24? also is it better to stock at this time of year or summer? (water temp wise) ezy

I currently have a bass and toga in a 3ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft. I have a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft for when they outgrow the tank. Eventually, I plan on a tank of 3M by 1.5M by 1M under the back awning.

Toga owns the top and the bass the bottom. Each has it's preferred snag. There's a bit of chasing on and off but generally they get on OK especially if well fed. The toga is the more aggressive of the 2.

I take out 20 liters each week by syphoning from the bottom, water filtration is via an outside filter and also have an air stone and heater.

With a toga, weigh the covers down and make certain they are no spaces for it to jump through.

Main food at present is chopped up prawns and whitebait. Once in a while I put in some livies but don't make a habit of it or they'll won't be keen on anything else.

I currently have a bass and toga in a 3ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft. I have a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft for when they outgrow the tank. Eventually, I plan on a tank of 3M by 1.5M by 1M under the back awning.

Toga owns the top and the bass the bottom. Each has it's preferred snag. There's a bit of chasing on and off but generally they get on OK especially if well fed. The toga is the more aggressive of the 2.

I take out 20 liters each week by syphoning from the bottom, water filtration is via an outside filter and also have an air stone and heater.

With a toga, weigh the covers down and make certain they are no spaces for it to jump through.

Main food at present is chopped up prawns and whitebait. Once in a while I put in some livies but don't make a habit of it or they'll won't be keen on anything else.

Add a tandanus in there to add as a bit of a buffer between the two and both will be much happier

I have a toga and bass in a 700L tank together and they are just fine had them for almost a year now its better if you have a few bass so they school and feel safer. as for a barra in there two i could work if you raised them all together form babies and had them grow at the same rate with plenty of room.

Archived