First car [nissan patrol]

RyanG45

Hey all

I'm looking at getting my first car, I've always wanted a land cruiser or hilux, but after a lot of looking last couple days I found that you can get more extras, less Kms and a better motor from a Nissan patrol for the same price as a land cruiser, I was just wondering if anyone on here owns a 2000 GU Nissan patrol wagon the 3.0l turbo intercolooler models or similar year patrol, are they gutless being a small motor in a big car do they tow well, my max price would be around 17000-18000 and doesn't bother me if it's a ute or wagon but I'd just like to do a bit more homework on the patrols before I go getting one.

Cheers Ryan

Good luck with that my 2011 model 3ltr patrol is having issues AGAIN with a noise like grinder coming from under the bonnet.... Nissan will have a look at it in 2 weeks time or 1 month if i request a loan car.. I didnt believe the hype that people said about them being unreliable either but after owning one believe me they are JUNK.

definatly go a patrol pre 2001,if you can get a non turbo your set for life! would also be seriously thinking about the dx Gu rear leaf spring which has a full floating axle there bullet proof and can GVM upgrade them to 3.9 tonne.the box and diff ratios are designed purly for heavy work and towing.

when buying a patrol GU/ GQ ute or wagon you might hear a shudder sound on take off.it will sound like the diff is stuffed and due be lapped,but it is in most cases actually a dry drive sharft spline,drop the box and grease the spline and problem fixed.if the car your buying has the sound dont worry id say it has just done a few water crossings in its time i would stay clear of a patrol that has been lifted and has drop boxes fitted,after market caster adjustment and radius rod shims are avalible to improve handling of the vehicle on the road with the lift kits but they flog out quick and ya tyres will flog out too and you might have heard about the nissan shake death wobble,its a common problem in those that have been lifted.a stocko patrol is the best patrol.

would not even consider a 3ltr patrol

also test the clutch,there is an idle lock under ther the steering wheel. lock it off when the engine is running around 1500rpm dump the clutch quick and watching the tacho it should just kill the engine and the rpms will just drop in one swift motion,but if the rpm on the tacho when you dump the clutch drops to maybe around a 1000rpm and then it will increase back up in rpm a little and then stall means the clutch is gone.GU's have a hydrualic clutch and it equalises the presure through out the clutches life span to make it user freindly and you cant adjust them well you can but only at the pedal but thats only to make it engage at the floor or out near full extent its an opperaters preferance.

good luck on scooring a cheap patrol they do exist they just go quick and just remember if you are goin to 4wd it regulary than your up for 30%fun 70% mantainance and there expensive to maintain just to let you know rear bearing $400. the fronts are cheaper,and just one more thing iam a strong believer in that your first expense is your best expense in other words go all out and do it right the first time and in the long run you will save money

mick

edit-i own patrol and very clued up with the 4.2 only. and ya tool kit will be a 8 10 12 14 17 22 32 soccket, circlip pliers,hamer, punch,tourqewrench,pully remover,allen key set,G clamp and feeler gauge

m8 i have a late 05 mod patrol auto towing isnt a problem for the 3ltr tows the van and the boat at highway speed and doesnt use loads of fuel.Its only a 4 cylinder so rego is cheaper at highway spped towing a van back from sydney it averaged 10ltrs per 100 ks which i was happy with .the only mods ive done is put air bags in the coils to stop travel sickness in the kids and a larger exhaust keep away from 2000 mods upto late 02 they had a few problems and keep it serviced especially the oil change!!!!

Being your first car, you are obviously young.

Check ou the cost of Insurance, especially if your looking at aTurbo diesel.

Even though it may be a diesel, put the word Turbo on it & your premiums go sky high.

Some years ago a mate son bought a Turbo diesel Toyota Surf & the premiums were $2,500.00, & that was quite a few years ago, like 15, so it will be considerably higher.

Check first, to see what you are up for & not get an expensive surprise.

Good hunting.

Even though it may be a diesel, put the word Turbo on it & your premiums go sky high.

Some years ago a mate son bought a Turbo diesel Toyota Surf & the premiums were $2,500.00, & that was quite a few years ago, like 15, so it will be considerably higher.

Good hunting.

I had a turbo diesel courier 2 years ago and premiums were less then my current premium is for my NON turbo XR6. My premium then was around $1100 per year. Im now 23

Good hunting.

Definitely used to be the case but not so bad now. The insurance for the surf would have been so high because it was a grey import.

Archived