Some snapper off the 24s 25/8/2012

Hein

Hi everyone,

Had a recent trip in my mates bout off the 24s on the Goldy.

Here's some pics of some snapper we got from the 24s of the Goldy!!! We caught 7 snapper in total ranging from 50-70cm (perfect table size :) ) and got 6 Trag Jew and a couple of big Mac Tuna too!!!

I thought it'd be a good idea to throw my flathead outfit (Shimano Raider - Bream finesse 732 2-4kg rod with a 2500FJ Stradic with 5 pound braid and 10 pound leader) in and see what it could do. I just cast it out and let it float/sink to the bottom, and nothing had touched it so started winding it back in. As I was winding it back in, something jumped on it!!!

It didn't know it was hooked at first, but as soon as it did, it just ran and the little 2500 reel was screaming Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! (God I love that sound!!!) What ever it was, it was BIG and I just couldn't turn it's head. Every time I got a few winds of the reel in, it just took another massive run!!! Eventually it made it back to the bottom and snapped me off on the reef. :(

Anyways, enjoy the picks!!!

post-10615-144598846335_thumb.jpg

post-10615-144598846342_thumb.jpg

post-10615-144598846349_thumb.jpg

post-10615-144598846358_thumb.jpg

Great session there mate and I'd have to agree with you they are great table size fish.

I've decided not to bother keeping squire under 40 now as there a hassle to fillet and you only get one portion off them! Those fish are perfect well done mate.

How is that bar down there at night?

Callum

Hi Callum,

The bar at the GC Seaway has been pretty flat recently. But each time we head out, always checking wind/tides etc. We haven't had any hassles (or much swell) each time we've headed out.

Cheers

Nice fish, thanks for sharing. How far off shore are the 24's?

I go SE from the seaway and my spot is 11ks from the seaway entrance.East of the seaway alot closer.

We head East and it's about 4km offshore. Good little spot out there.

Archived