battle for wello pt lost, the WAR continues...

netmaker

hi all. well one shouldn't count chickens before they hatch. council officers recommendations were virtually ignored with only councillors Elliot and Hewlett supporting and the rest of council and the mayor opposing them. instead, council is now proposing a "time trial" (3 months apparently) of "shared trailer bay parking" on the row of bays adjacent to the toilet block. seems to me that is what has been going on in the whole goddamn carpark for ages now anyway.

SO, my plan from here: take photos of illegal parking EVERY weekend at the point. i am kicking myself i haven't been doing that. i would appreciate very much some assistance in this as i cannot be there all the time.

PLEASE take some pics if you are down there and pm them to me or email me at: drandersontaxagent@gmail.com

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO YOUR BOATING MATES AND AT LEAST ASK THEM TO SEND THE EMAIL
/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...rs-please-read-!!

PLEASE SEND IT YOURSELF IF YOU HAVEN'T YET.

the bbq option may well be on the table now and my thinking is australia day would make a wonderful day to stand up for our rights.

all in favour? or any alternative suggestions?

keep an ear out for me on dave downies fishing program 7.15 this sunday night.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on you mate.

That's not like the council at all - saying they'll do something about it and nothing happens! :whistle:

As for shared parking bays - would these be at the expense of current trailer bays?

If so - the swear filter on afo would probably explode if I was to tell you what i really think of that.

Also - isn't australia day ages away? - Something sooner might be better?

Keep up the good work mate

Good on you mate.

That's not like the council at all - saying they'll do something about it and nothing happens! :whistle:

As for shared parking bays - would these be at the expense of current trailer bays?

If so - the swear filter on afo would probably explode if I was to tell you what i really think of that.

Also - isn't australia day ages away? - Something sooner might be better?

Keep up the good work mate

yes mate. we have 75. we are supposed to have 135. now they want another 11 off us.

and yes australia day is too far away. i am forming a small "committee" of passionate locals and have enlisted the help of a pr expert. this is not something that will be solved with a single protest. we will need to expect a prolonged action and keep the pressure up. i have been furiously emailing since the meeting. msq, marine qld, sunfish, transport minister, bushnbeach, bayside bulletin, fishing monthly, council and councillors. have 53 boaties signed up for the first protest action. we will not jump into this unprepared. planning is everything. please spread the word. i am contactable on 0423148941 and email: daveanderson_1@hotmail.com

Details Disabled accessFREE

Community & Lifestyle

Social Awareness & ActivismEducationEnvironment

When:

09 September 2012

9:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Where:

Wellington Point Reserve

Main Rd , Wellington Point, QLD

Org: Bayside Branch of Wildlife Queensland

Tel: 0448 761 114

Email: michael.lusis@gmail.com

Web: www.peakstopoints.com.au

Skip to Map

Come and see an interactive display about the wildlife habitats of Wellington Point, King Island and Waterloo Bay. Receive an interpretative map and take a self-guided tour of King Island Conservation Park. From September to March, King island becomes an important roost for resident and migratory wading birds. At low tide, the island is home to masses of blue soldier crabs and a host of other invertebrates. At high tide, King island and Waterloo Bay is visited by dolphins, dugong, sea turtles, sharks and rays. Event hosted by the Bayside Branch of Wildlife Queensland as part of the 2012 Peaks to Points Festival.

Details: Sunday 9 September, 9am-midday. Wellington Point Reserve, Mains Road, Wellington Point. Note low-tide is at 9.40am. For more information contact Michael Lusis, 0448 761 114 or email michael.lusis@gmail.com

I'm in for the bbq day of action. The sooner the better though in my book.

thanks for your support mate. please pm or text me your number. you are number 4 for today. good to see interest gathering. i know that sooner is better than later. however planning is all important. the trial is for a 3 month period which allows us a bit of time to build up numbers. i have to assume that whilst good-intentioned maybe 1/3 will not show. insufficient numbers will result in a flop. i have sent a lot of emails off this week. i have an appointment with pr expert sunday and chat with dave downie sunday night. i think it wise to wait for more boaties to join the action so we have the numbers. i have more data in relation to this which i will post as soon as i can. the site being down has seen all my attention focussed on ausfish and my work. i will fix this over the next few days and get you up to speed.

cheers

davo

for those interested. here are the minutes from tuesdays circus:

Description: RCC_Logo_BW

MINUTES

city services

COMMITTEE MEETING

Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Council Chambers

1st floor Administration Building

Bloomfield Street Cleveland. Qld 4163

Table of Contents

Item Subject Page No

Declaration of Opening

Record of Attendance and Leave of Absence

Receipt and Confirmation Of Minutes

Public Participation at Meeting

MATERIAL PERSONAL INTEREST AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Motion to alter the Order of Business

1......... CITY SERVICES

1.1 WELLINGTON POINT RESERVE PARKING ISSUES

1.2 REDWASTE BUSINESS UNIT REPORT FOR APRIL TO JUNE 2012

1.3 PETITION (DIVISION 2) REQUEST TO PROVIDE PEDESTRIAN PATH ALONG COBURG STREET EAST

2......... closed session

2.1 PROPOSAL TO ACQUIRE DEVELOPMENT APPROVALS TO CONSTRUCT THE PROPOSED BOAT RAMP AND CAR PARK ON MACLEAY ISLAND

3......... GENERAL BUSINESS

3.1 RECOGNITION OF SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN

4......... MEETING CLOSURE

Council, at its Post Election meeting on 17 May 2012, resolved as follows:

5. That all committees be delegated formal decision making authority under section 257 Local Government Act 2009 where one or more of the following circumstances apply:

a) A decision is required to be made to meet statutory timeframes.

For example:

i. Decide development applications under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and the Integrated Planning Act 1997; and

ii. Provide instructions to legal counsel for appeal matters actioned under Chapter 6 of the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and Chapter 4 of the Integrated Planning Act 1997.

B) A decision is required to be made to meet other timeframes.

For example:

Closing dates for submissions.

c) There is significant benefit that would justify making the decision.

For example:

Entering into a contract by a certain date would provide financial benefits.

The delegation is made with the following provisos:

i. That officers (report authors) must provide justification for the use of the delegation in the committee report and include this in the report recommendations; and

ii. That for a standing committee to use delegated authority, there must be a minimum of eight Councillors in attendance at the meeting who vote in favour of the resolution.

Declaration of Opening

Cr Boglary declared the meeting open at 9.01am.

Record of Attendance and Leave of Absence

Committee Membership:

Cr W Boglary Chair and Councillor Division 1

Cr K Williams Mayor

Cr C Ogilvie Councillor Division 2 – left the meeting at 10.15am

Cr K Hardman Councillor Division 3

Cr L Hewlett Councillor Division 4

Cr M Edwards Councillor Division 5

Cr M J Talty Councillor Division 6

Cr M Elliott Councillor Division 7 – left the meeting at 10.15am

Cr A Beard Deputy Mayor and Councillor Division 8

Cr P Gleeson Councillor Division 9

Cr P Bishop Councillor Division 10

Committee Manager:

Mrs L Rusan General Manager City Services

Officers:

Mrs S Rankin Interim Chief Executive Officer

Mrs T Averay General Manager Environment Planning & Development

Mr M Erbs Manager City Infrastructure

Mr R Walford Service Manager – RedWaste

Mr R Powell Senior Advisor Infrastructure Projects

Mr G Tyler Senior Advisor Infrastructure Projects

Minutes:

Mrs J Parfitt Team Leader Corporate Meeting & Registers

Receipt and Confirmation Of Minutes

Moved by: Cr P Gleeson

Seconded by: Cr J Talty

That the minutes of the City Services Committee Meeting of 7 August 2012 be confirmed.

Minutes August 7 2012 City Services

CARRIED

Public Participation at Meeting

MOTION TO ADJOURN MEETING

Moved by: Cr J Talty

Seconded by: Cr M Edwards

That Council adjourn the meeting for a 15 minute public participation segment.

CARRIED

· Mr T Berrill of Wellington Point, representing wind surfers and kite surfers, addressed Committee on Item 1.1 Wellington Point Reserve Parking Issues.

· Mr D Anderson of Thorneside addressed Committee on Item 1.1 Wellington Point Reserve Parking Issues.

MOTION TO RESUME MEETING

Moved by: Cr A Beard

Seconded by: Cr P Bishop

That the meeting proceedings resume.

CARRIED

MATERIAL PERSONAL INTEREST AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Nil

Motion to alter the Order of Business

Moved by: Cr K Williams

Seconded by: Cr C Ogilvie

That the order of business be altered to discuss Item 1.3 Wellington Point Reserve Parking Issues (as listed on the Agenda) as Item 1.1.

CARRIED

COUNCILLOR ABSENCES DURING MEETING

Cr Williams left the meeting at 10.06am and returned at 10.09 am during discussion on Item 1.3.

Cr Elliott left the meeting at10.15am at the conclusion of Item 1.3.

Cr Ogilvie left the meeting at 10.15am at the conclusion of item 1.3.

1 CITY SERVICES

1.1 WELLINGTON POINT RESERVE PARKING ISSUES

Dataworks Filename: RTT: Complaints - Parking

Attachments: Attachment 1: Wellington Point Reserve Amended Master Plan [PDF 178KB]

Attachment 2: Presentation for Wellington Point Reserve Community Engagement Forum [PDF 2.1MB]

Responsible Officer: Murray Erbs

Manager City Infrastructure

Author: Abdish Athwal

Senior Engineer Traffic and Transport

Executive Summary

In 2010, Council redeveloped the car and trailer unit area of the reserve to the amended master plan for the Wellington Point Reserve adopted in 2006.

Council has received numerous enquiries and complaints concerning parking bays designated for exclusive use by vehicles with boat trailers only.

Community engagement forum was held with directly affected stakeholders to identify all relevant issues, concerns and constraints, and to establish the key outcomes for implementing acceptable improvements.

Outcome from the community engagement forum and the officers recommendation is to retain status quo to parking apportionment (between normal and car trailer unit spaces), and enforcement be undertaken with an emphasis on weekends and Public Holidays

Purpose

Report to Council on the issues raised at the Community Engagement Forum of 10 July 2012 and request approval on the recommended option.

Background

On 28 June 2006, Council adopted an amended Master Plan for Wellington Point Reserve. The amended Master Plan was the result of community comments received on the May 2004 Council resolution to defer the 2004 draft of the Master Plan.

The key features of the 2006 amended Master Plan included:

· Reconfiguration of the trailer parking area to provide accessible foreshore green space around the reserve;

· Access to existing boat ramps maintained;

· Improved and safer pedestrian pathways to jetty and foreshore through car park.

In 2010, Council redeveloped the car and trailer unit area of the reserve to the 2006 amended Master Plan, as shown in Attachment 1.

Since the 2010 redevelopment Council has received numerous enquiries and complaints concerning parking bays designated for exclusive use by vehicles with boat trailers only.

Following internal stakeholder meetings it was decided that a community engagement forum should be held to identify all relevant issues, concerns and constraints being voiced by directly affected stakeholders, and to establish the key outcomes for implementing acceptable improvements.

Stakeholders include representatives from directly affected organisations such as boating and fishing groups, local businesses and residents, Queensland Police Service, and a small number of individuals who have personally contacted Council on this issue.

The community engagement forum was held on Tuesday 10July 2012 starting at 6:00pm to finish 8:00pm at the Redlands Cricket Club and received a good attendance. See attachment 2 for PowerPoint Presentation.

Summary of available parking at the Wellington Point Reserve - See attachment 2, slide 7.

Issues

At the community engagement forum, invited stakeholders put forwarded the following issues/concerns (point being addressed and some stakeholder comments in italics):

Ø Laws should be enforced

o people parked illegally should be fined, if not things will get worse.

Ø Rules/guidelines for 10 percent CTU requirements

o shortage of trailer parking as per the guidelines for boating ramps, shortage of parking in general

o boat owners paying via boat registration for parking spot, car don’t pay.

Ø Public Transport options

o more bus services needed

Ø Should CTU be shared on non-boating days

o shared 11:00 am – 4:00pm parking on non-boating days.

Ø Commercial business use

o boat industry employee 14,000 people.

o 10,974 power boats registered, that’s 1 boat for every 6 houses, small boat and kayaks not registered

o Council needs to control the situation or business will go elsewhere.

Ø Boating weather dependent

o tides control boating, it should not be time control.

Ø Percentage of boat parking share after 12:00 noon

o most boats go out in the morning – boat parking areas should be used for cars in the afternoon.

o windsurfers, kayaks have no problems in the afternoons.

Ø Council management of weather condition

o boat area parking controlled under the instruction of parking warden/council offers.

Ø Share after 1:00pm

o if boat spot not used after 1:00pm allow car to park.

Ø Signage needs to be clear

o need clear signage, council allows car to park in boats area one weekend and when booked the next weekend owners say that Council has allowed the parking, leaves enforcement not knowing what to do.

o Council offer to manage the signage on weekend.

o need Council to enforce signage.

Ø Influence of tides

o boating is tide dependant not time. If boat spot not used after 1:00pm allow car to park.

Ø Large number of boat users

o large number of boat, kayaks, windsurfers use boat area.

o boat owners paying via boat registration for parking spot, car don’t pay.

o car and trailer having to park up the hill on Main Road with boat waiting for trailer to get picked, not suitable.

Ø No to bureaucracy

o Council does not use this as revenue raising.

Ø Support control situation

o Everyone obey the law and enforcement is required.

Ø Retain history as family venue

o Place for family enjoyment as well as boating, need to share the reserve.

o People come for cheap swim, BBQ etc - fines will drive people away.

Ø Adequate signage after 11:00am

o not enough parking on holidays leads to dual parking behaviours.

o shared 11:00 am – 4:00pm parking on non-boating days.

o parking in Reserve Esp for cars only.

Ø Safety issue (pedestrian)

o Need to improve pedestrian crossing point in the ramp and jetty areas car with trailer cannot see pedestrians.

Ø Visitor friendly image

o need to look for more activity spaces in the surrounding areas.

Proposed options put forward at the forum:

Ø Warden to control parking - cost, common sense, safety

Ø Trial for shared CTU parking area 12- 10:30pm – does not align with weather/tides.

Ø Penalty enforcement - need to be consistent

Ø Public Transport -Translink does not have the required demand

Ø Greater utilisation green area - overflow parking on grass

Ø Differing time limits - 2H,4H,6H and enforcement

Ø Sun/Public Holidays - increase enforcement

Ø Must be legal – clear signage and enforcement

Ø Increase attractiveness of other areas – additional boating area and would reduce over usage of Wellington Point Reserve

Ø Rent vacant block – for additional parking

In summary from the forum it was apparent that a solution that satisfied all stakeholders was not achievable, since:

§ There is clearly insufficient parking at the reserve to meet the current demand of all stakeholders

§ The recreational and local business stakeholders want more car parking, and/or the ability to share some of the trailer parking areas when they are not being used after a designated time, for example after 12:00 pm.

§ The boating stakeholders want more trailer parking, at least the allocation for the two ramps.

In concluding the meeting the following key outcomes were sounded to the stakeholders who had no objections:

v Everyone obey the law – enforcement

v Status quo to current parking and enforcement. - Must be legal, clear and enforceable signage

The Guidelines for Provision of Recreational Boating Facilities 1996 recommends the minimum of 90 CTU parking spaces for a 4 lane boat ramp and 45 CTU parking spaces for a 2 lane boat ramp. Therefore a minimum of 135 CTU parking spaces is recommended for the two boating ramps at the reserve. Currently there are 75 CTU parking spaces.

It is therefore recommended that status quo to current parking with enforcement be proposed for Council approval.

Relationship to Corporate Plan

5. Wise planning and design

We will carefully manage population pressures and use land sustainably while advocating and taking steps to determine limits of growth and carrying capacity on a local and national basis, recognising environmental sensitivities and the distinctive character, heritage and atmosphere of local communities. A well-planned network of urban, rural and bushland areas and responsive infrastructure and transport systems will support strong, healthy communities.

5.12 Plan, provide and advocate for essential physical and social infrastructure that supports community well-being and manage Council’s existing infrastructure assets to ensure current service standards are maintained or improved

Financial Implications

There are no financial implications impacting Council as a result of this report.

Planning Scheme Implications

It is considered that the outcome of recommendations in this report will not require any amendments to the Redlands Planning Scheme.

Consultation

Internal and external stake holders have been consulted.

Options

Preferred

That Council resolve to retain the status quo to parking apportionment (between normal and car trailer unit spaces), and enforcement be undertaken with an emphasis on weekends and Public Holidays.

Alternative

Undertake a trial of shared parking along the first row adjacent to toilet block after 1:00pm.

Officer’s Recommendation

Moved by: Cr M Elliott

Seconded by: Cr L Hewlett

That Council resolve to retain the status quo to parking apportionment (between normal and car trailer unit spaces), and enforcement be undertaken with an emphasis on weekends and Public Holidays.

LOST

DIVISION

FOR: Crs Elliott and Hewlett

AGAINST: Crs Bishop, Gleeson, Beard, Talty, Edwards, Hardman, Ogilvie, Williams and Boglary

COMMITTEE Recommendation

Moved by: Cr K Williams

Seconded by: Cr P Bishop

That Council resolve to undertake a trial of shared parking (cars and cars with trailers) along the first row of car trailer unit parking adjacent to toilet block between 1:00pm and 10.00pm and review after 3 months.

CARRIED

DIVISION

FOR: Crs Bishop, Gleeson, Beard, Talty, Edwards, Hardman, Ogilvie, Williams and Boglary

AGAINST: Crs Elliott and Hewlett

down at the point at 12.15 today. looking like another busy day shaping up. another 20 odd fliers under wipers. looks like the general public cant wait for councils new "sharing" plan. the bays we are losing are almost all full. unfortunately the wind didn't conform to councils wishes today either as it was windy this morning and is forecast to be dropping out this afternoon. now here's a funny thing with the 11 lost bays. there is a kerb between bays number 12 and 13 so the 11 bays selected will have 1 unallocated bay left on the end before the kerb (marked with arrow). is this a trap for people or what? more pics later. i am going back down...

post-11227-144598850505_thumb.jpg

post-11227-14459885051_thumb.jpg

sooner the better i reckon. the signage for those 11 spaces would have to be huge other wise

its just going to lead to mass confusion. there just going to think that the rest of the trailer spots are fair game as well. :angry::angry:

as i have been saying for a while, the whole goddamn trailer park has been on a share basis for a long time now.

went back at 1.15. 50 or more illegally parked cars. rang council and cops and visited a mate for a quick drink. back at 2.30, dropped off a few more fliers and chatted to a couple of boaties. left just before 3 with no signs of fines today :angry:

an enebriated mate of mine last night came up with what i think is a great idea:

bbq at green or peel islands instead of the point and just leave our cars and empty trailers parked everywhere! we are fishos after all. why not all just go fishing from wello on a fine day and meet up for a bbq brunch and a chinwag? we can just go enjoy ourselves. i think that this would be a great way to protest and the sort of protest that more boaties will turn up for as well as being non-confrontational and still absolutely drawing attention to the overall lack of parking.

soooo. lets have some comments...

I would be happy to come down one Sunday with my car, trailer and boat and take up a spot while having a bacon and egg roll on the bbq

Organised with a good attendance, open invitation to all the COuncillors to join in for a chat with a flyer spruiking the cause with some emails on their so people can go away and voice their own concerns.

Get the local rag to come along too and send a message to council that it won't go away.

i have to assume that whilst good-intentioned maybe 1/3 will not show. insufficient numbers will result in a flop.

Hi Davo

I think you make a good point and another idea you posted from your mate about heading to Peel for a BBQ is similar to an idea I had.

You could look at tying up with one of the AFO fishing comp/social events or at look at organising one of your own. The comp could leave from Wello point with a 6am start, ending at 12pm with a sausage sizzle for the afternoon either at Wello point (with all our boats left in the water) or at one of the islands; finally leaving Wello late in the afternoon.

lol, thanks mate. reckon i must have missed you by 5 minutes. was there at 7 and back at 11.15. you have saved me posting pics tho as they are virtually identical to mine. rang council when i left. they called me back later and told me they doled out 50 fines. reckon that should pay the wages. another protester signed up today :cheer: - from a flyer i placed yesterday. have sent my pics along with yesterdays to the bulletin with a note stating that obviously people are not prepared to wait for council to legitimise our stolen bays as they were all full again.

ok fellas. i have had my meeting with pr expert. the angle we are going to attack this from is that council are anti boatie. we will attempt to keep the public on side. remember 1 in 6 households have a registered boat. we dont want the other 5 against us. this is a numbers game. my apologies to the redneck element but the way this is going down will be along the lines of a "meet and greet" or "swap meet" or "boating safety and orientation" type do. we will still aim to fill all the parking bays but we will do it in a "nice" way. we will keep pushing the theme that council is anti boatie and move the blame to where it belongs. i approached 3 "offenders" yesterday and none knew they were parking illegally, 1 was even parked directly in front of councils pathetic signage.

anyway, the pr man wants email addresses for those attending the bbq. so please either pm me, call me 0423148941 or email me at daveanderson_1@hotmail.com

57 to date. add your support. will be a great barby!

I don't own a boat, so can't help much with parking a trailer in the bay.

An idea for getting the other 5 of 6 households on your side would be to put up some advertisements in the local rag, get the local marine centers involved, and organize boat rides and safety training for local families.

Maybe even get your supporters organized and offer up 1 hour slots to take people out fishing or a lift over to a sausage sizzle on one of the close in islands, etc. Use the opportunity to teach them some basic boating safety, maneuvers, get them familiar with the difficulties and make them feel sympathetic to your cause.

I can't imagine that a savvy boat dealership wouldn't jump all over the chance to obtain potential customers when dad learns just how much the kids love being on the water, etc. etc.

hi all. busy day today. started putting things in order. made a lot of phone calls and have collected 52 email addresses since yesterday. add another 3 with no email and myself makes 56 to date. a couple have put hands up for bringing a mate with an extra boat so things are off to a reasonable start. council have yet to vote on accepting the trial which is a no-brainer. i will not be attending anyways as happily i will be on my way to 1770. their proposed trial is for a 3 month period with an option (most likely) to extend for a further 3 months which does give us a reasonable amount of time to plan and increase the bbq participants .

cheers

Might be an idea to take pics of each car parked illegally for 3 months, mount them on some stands and set them up on the footpath outside council chambers. Add some banners behind then explaining things and with slogans like "you try and get a boat trailer through this lot"

could be good for a pic in the local paper with a story about the illegal parking and how council is siding with the commercial interests of the shop over ratepayers etc.

just a thought anyway

local paper has already been involved in this with pics of cars parked in the rigging bays. weekly letters to the editor are being printed. council voted last friday to accept trial shared parking and as predicted they have designated 12 bays instead of the 11 originally mentioned. you blokes using wello please fill the bays adjacent to the toilet block first. and tell your mates to get involved. nothing will happen if we cant get enough numbers together for this.

Archived