First trip advice

volvodriver

Hey guys,

I've just bought a new inflatable kayak and want some advice as to where near brisbane is good for a test run? I'm on the north side so will be going to the Pine pretty often but wanted to find something a bit calmer for the first trip while i get used to it and handling the equiptment while on it.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Paul.

Youngs crossing on the north pine river, behind Petrie. which is a nice long fresh water pool about 300m long, eazy launch from the gravel bank, good chance of picking up a bass or two if you want to take the rod along. Just watch for underwater rocks near the far end.

Otherwise the gravel boat ramp at bald hills on the south pine river launches in to the old gravel pits where it is nice and calm with not a lot of water flow.

Tides are big at the moment so I would avoid Bob Bell park on the south pine river behind Strathpine shopping centre, or Wylie Park at Petrie on the North Pine River, whilst both are normally great out of the way spots, it runs hard on a big tide in both spots, best experienced a few times on smaller tides until you work it out.

Thanks guys, i had read that most of south pine and not too far inland from that on the north pine was closed waters but then went back and read it properly discovering that it's only for commercial fishing so that opens up a lot of possibilities that i thought were out!

Might give Youngs crossing a go tomorrow morning if the weather holds off, have never targeted/caught bass before so would be nice to cross that off the list at the same time.

Will let you know how it goes, i bought the inflatable because i'm in a little soft-top sierra so not exactly the easiest thing to carry a full kayak in without a trailer and didn't want to spend a whole heap until i know i'll enjoy it and use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Viper,

Sorry, i didn't get out as early as i hoped to. Tried it out yesterday. It wasn't the best if i'm honest. Basically every time you paddle there's a decent amount of steering that happened so a decent amount of the momentum was wasted with sideways movement instead. I think it will be a bit better when i've put a bit of stuff in the front and rear stow aways but that may not be the case.

It also bounced around a bit on any wash that it encountered. Overall i'll use it again because i have no way of fitting anything else in the car but if i had the option i'd be buying a hardbody.

By the steering I assume you mean that the yak turns towards the side opposite to where you doing a stoke.

If that's the case, your problem will be due to incorrect paddling technique.

Inflatables are relatively light which makes them more susceptible to bad paddling action.

For many first timers, they tend to do a sweep stroke and as the paddle blade moves in an arc, as it get towards the back of the yak, it makes the rear move towards the blade and the nose in the opposite direction. You should aim at moving the paddle along the side of the yak and hold it fairly vertical.

If you goggle "kayak paddling technique" you should get plenty of info.

Archived