New to Brisbane

BandT42

Hey guys and gals im new to this forum and have just moved to Brisbane. Im from Mackay in Nth QLD and needed a change. Love my fishing all forms and also do a bit of spearfishing. Just want to know if any 1 can point in the right direction of any clubs around brissy and any tournaments and comps to go in. Also i know i probably wont get much but were are some good places to start and were are the boat ramps around here haha :S Anyways any knowledge or help will be greatly appreciated and any good tackle stores around the place. Any way tight lines and hope to hear from some 1 soon :lol:

Hello and welcome to afo, there is actually the annual Brisbane River Classic competition being run by the guys on AFO. I'm unsure of the exact dates but definitely try to make it this, we will try to have a bbq or something somewhere (details will be posted later) and this is a great way of putting names to faces and making some fishing friends.

What kind of boat do you have and what fish do you normally chase?

welcome - you will get a lot of info here about what is happening around the place. Expect to work a bit harder for your fish down here but the rewards can be just as good at times. What sort of boat do you have? You have to deal with bars, sea swell down here so make sure you get all the right info before going offshore. As to clubs I can not help you. I tend to treat AFO as my club. Ted

Hey thanks for the replys. I have a 4.1m tinny and normally go chasing barra, flathead,bream,whiting and all those types of fish. we used to have a 34ft riviera but have sold that and we are looking at getting a 36ft black watch. I have been looking at the brisbane river classic and i am pretty keen to enter into it. If any one could point me in the right direction of creeks and rivers to start at for those sorts of fish and also would like to get into bass fishing as we dont get them in nth QLD I would totally respect the place and i only take the fish that we need. All the rest go back

I am currently in Newstead at my sisters house but I am looking for a job to work on Diesel boats and that type of thing so i may be moving somewere else yet so any landbased fishing spots or anything like that close by would be good. I also love going crabbing so any areas like that as well. And if any 1 likes to go 4wdriving and camping i would love to go on some trips with people to places we can go fishing. I know absolutely no 1 in brisbane except my other sister that lives at the gold coast so keen to meet some new people.

Thanks Brent

As Jeff said the mouth of the Brissy is a good place to start first up. Your boat will be good for the Bay on most days. Just watch the wind as you would up north.

I would start

Southern Bay - Launch from Victoria Point - there are several islands and mud flats to chase good flathead from there. It can be shallow so get a beacon to beacon. I would start around the south west of Maclaey Island - Lots fish Jacob's well but I find it toooo busy and over fished

On a good day you can also head out to peel island and beyond and chase snapper and Tuna. The rous channel is a good place to start for whiting i think.

On the north side I would try Bribie Passage and donnybrook/toorbull area for flathead and some whiting.

There are a lot of bloody green zones down here so get yourself familiar with the Moreton bay marine park guide

/>http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-bay/zoning/pdf/marine-park-user-guide.pdf

/>http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-bay/zoning/moreton_bay_marine_park_user_guide_maps.html

Good luck and I hope to catch up at the BRC. The comps are a social format with most turning up for a bit of friendly competition and chin wag

Archived