The change from BFO to AFO. Have your say.

ellicat

I found I couldn't get onto the site until I had updated my profile so I did that 4 times cos each time I clicked something and lost the lot until I spotted a tiny SAVE, so now I'm back. I can understand why the name change but I suggest you expand on the species to allow others to include trout and Aus salmon, etc. Just include an open section for whatever species one might wish to include. AFO could become a national entity. :ohmy: Ian M

very worried about loosing the community feel and localised focus that makes B f o what it is

all of the \"national\" type sites are shatfights.

i believe B f o is as successfull as it is because of its local focus and tight community the core of members have mostly met face to face this cant happen nationally.

i really hope i\'m wrong but i think this will be the beginning of what turns B f o into just another ausfish

THank you eCat for responding so quickly and effectively to my concerns and opening this thread. You're a top shiela mate.

Please don't remove this text - this is where I moved it originally, because I believe it is more appropriate here.

I've let the name change settle into my mind for a day or so. I've been conscious of anyones' natural aversion to change and I have (at the moment) concluded that I don't like it.

My aversion may change over time and it will not affect my attachment to the site in the short term, however if the site is to progress to a truly Australian site it will by definition no longer be the local site, concentrating on local issues that I originally joined. I want to know that the folk on the site are largely locals and have similar issues to deal with that I do. I want to know that a decky spot being offered won't require a long plane trip to take advantage of; I want to know that my site won't be choked with issues about where to get a latté after my quick fish for OzSalmon dodging the Manly ferry. Some of these issues (mainly the coffee) I am interested in, but I go to different sites to do that - I always return to one site though and that's the one that I can identify with on a personal level -BFO.

BFO's charm and allure for me lies in the fact that it wasn't the Australia-wide (Global? please no) fishing site that is remote from my immediate concerns.

I know that the people behind the move will have the best interests of the site at hand and more power to you I say. I just hope that it will continue to be as relevant to me as BFO once was.

I share this just as a point-of-view no more or less correct than anyone else's.

I wish AFO all the luck in the world and I hope it will remain as close to my heart as BFO once was.

From the other thread -

Don't freak too soon. As this rolls out and forum changes are made, there will be settings/options to only view the threads and posts distinct to your chosen area etc.

This will make the correct selection of forum category for your posts all that more important....so everyone start practising so Terry and Henry can concentrate on things other than moving threads :P:lol:

and Admin's reply also -

As Ellicat mentioned, down the track we will be implementing the ability for users to select which categories they can have show in their Latest Posts lists. This means that if you are in Brisbane and don't want to see posts about New South Wales,then you can have it so you don't. Further, say you're not interested in kayaking then you will be able to exclude this category from your Latest Posts, that way all you have showing are the categories you want to view.

This means that if you want to not see the Going Fishing noticeboard for people in North Queensland then you don't have to, and can just see the categories you want.

Whilst it may have seemed that BFO was solely focussed on Brisbane, the reality is, the site had outgrown that years ago, with many reports from Moreton Bay, Gold Coast, Interstate, North Queensland etc and over 1/3 of the members not living in the region.

Whilst we do realise it may take some time for the change to sink in with some members (it will for us as well), hopefully they will see the benefit in the move and realise it now encompasses more members and regions including the Gold Coast, Moreton Bay etc

Also, the moderators will be the same so all will be good :P

We're still gonna have a local feel because there is still the Brisbane / QLD sub forums that will - I imagine - still be used mainly by out current SEQ members.

I like the odd reports from Interstate and even the US ones from dreeze are a nice change.

A few other forums I'm on are national / international and it still has the community feel as you still get to interact with the locals.

very worried about loosing the community feel and localised focus that makes B f o what it is

i believe B f o is as successfull as it is because of its local focus and tight community the core of members have mostly met face to face this cant happen nationally.

i really hope i\'m wrong but i think this will be the beginning of what turns B f o into just another ausfish

Jeff F: I completely understand your point Jeff and we discussed these issues at length.

I think we would like to see the "Groups" functions used in a more beneficial, appropriate way to counter this. For example, someone could create a "Brisbane Fishing" group maybe out of the fanatics who will miss her dearly. In this way a strengthening of community could be seen not a decline, but offer the chance for new strong communities to rise as well. This is a multi faceted site and I personally believe it moved past being "one group of guys" a long long time ago. In fact, due to differing points of view there have been break away sites set up in the past because people share different views. I hated seeing this because it became "them vs BFO". I reckon it would have been cooler if the private group function existed back then, so people of any opinion could be part of the site, but have their own private area for their own niche. I guess this can now work geographically as well.

Of course, using a group to voice an opinion as opposed to trying to ram it down peoples throats is not a quality held by all, but as usual those adults acting like children will be dealt with and I believe in the short term at least with 0 tolerance.

In regards to the "feel" of the site... I think, and actually love the fact that so many members of this site feel very very connected to it. Enough to be concerned with the change anyway. However, as much as I love it, I think many of those loyalists (as I have always liked calling them) are somewhat short sited to the massive amount of other traffic this site receives. The last 2 days worth of posts directly show this. Despite the change, for many user names it has been business as as usual with little to no concern for the change of name and posts, questions, reports being made as per usual. If anything, the extreme boys club nature of some loyalists has prevented the sites natural growth as some new members local or otherwise have found it hard to decipher all the "in jokes" and feuds, friendly or otherwise...

Kreel: In response to your relevance concerns, I guess Webby has tried to deal with that concern by working on developing a new feature. This will allow members to be able to select categories they want to view and others not to. For people not in any way interested in what is going on out of state, or even out of SE QLD, you wont need to view it. However general boat chat, electronics etc which are reasonably universal can be viewed and may be deemed relevant by everyone. In fact, as many topics are so universal, we truly believe the addition of content from new further afield members could be highly relevant and valuable.

Definitely a positive! Will be good to have more posts from different states and have interstate socials down the track.

I think the idea of choosing what type of posts you can see in your 'latest posts' feed would be a great addition and welcomed by all.

Also is the FOM coming back and are the sponsors going to get more involved in providing specials, competitions and the like? It would be good to see a few more 'specials' and input from the sponsors and the pro's on the site.

Cheers,

Kane

I completely agree with Jeff here

I look forward to new posts and other points of view from other areas.

I usually only look at the latest posts and pick and choose what it look at now so nothing really will change for me.

Whilst I cannot claim to be one of the original members I have been on the site long enough to see it evolve into what it is today and it has just been a continual stream of improvement.

Thanks Angus and Johnny,

Cheers

Ray

my thoughts too

I think its a positive move and wholeheartedly support it. The site is at a point that this was the only option and it was only a couple of months ago a few of us were discussing it in person. Can only mean good things for the future in my opinion.

also i might get a few more blues to back me up at origin time :lol:

"i believe B f o is as successfull as it is because of its local focus and tight community the core of members have mostly met face to face this cant happen nationally."

Quite a few other sites have their own local groups within the umbrella of a national site.

At least one of the yak groups do this successfully and who knows some of the old brigade may be able to convert some of the southerners to alveys and sloppy joe rods rather than those poofy expensive to purchase and maintain contraptions that they use.

( Not that we have been able to do it here}

Cheers

Ray

This will make the correct selection of forum category for your posts all that more important....so everyone start practising so Terry and Henry can concentrate on things other than moving threads :P:lol:

First we need to be able to put the mops and other cleaning tools away, and get to the moving boxes :P

AFO: It was inevitable. If you asked me 12-24 months ago I would have said AFO would be a good choice.

There is no reason sub-groups under AFO cannot be formed as Angus has pointed out. BFO, or other groups - SFO (sydney), PFO, MFO could all operate under this format.

I'll just reiterate what I posted in the other thread

I'm no neophobe and feel that the progression of the site is an overall positive one however some of us should have the opportunity to discuss and deal with the changes.

I believe the 'Old Guard' as it were can shoot the breeze and discuss ways of embracing the new whilst retaining an element or two of the old.

One idea I have is to encourage the use of Groups as suggested by the Admins. I reckon the BFO Militia group should retain its moniker and possibly have a 'Members Only' thread.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Doobz.

Hmm,

Not there yet! Perhaps soon.

In the Mean time I'm torn between Air Force One and Animal Feeding Operation ;)

AFO

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

AFO may refer to:

Absolute Force Online, a first-person shooting game.

Advanced Force Operations

Aero Force One, a fan club for the rock band Aerosmith

AFO (Canada), L'assemblée de la Francophonie de l'Ontario, a cultural and political organization for Franco-Ontarians in the Canadian province of Ontario

Air Force One, the air traffic control call sign of any United States Air Force aircraft carrying the President of the United States

Air Force Ones (song), a 2002 song written and performed by St. Louis, Missouri hip hop artist Nelly

Air Force 1 (shoe), a Nike, Inc. shoe design

Alien Front Online, a Sega video game

Animal feeding operation, as defined by the Environmental Protection Agency

Anime Festival Orlando, a yearly anime convention in Orlando, Florida

Ankle-foot orthosis, a brace for the ankle and foot

Anti-Fascist Organisation, a provisional organization in Burma during World War II

Aquatic Facilities Operator, a professional certification given by the National Recreation and Park Association

Archiv für Orientforschung

Arellano-Felix Organization, a drug trafficking cartel in Mexico, also known as "Tijuana Cartel"

Arts Festival Oklahoma, a juried outdoor arts show in Oklahoma City every Labor Day weekend

Association of Field Ornithologists, an ornithological organization, publishers of Journal of Field Ornithology

Australian Field Ornithology, journal of Bird Observation & Conservation Australia

Authorised Firearms Officer, a police officer in the United Kingdom who has received training and authorization to carry and use firearms

Auto Fire Off, or Auto Fire Off ball, a ball in a fire extinguisher

Odessa Photographers Association, in origin: Association of Fotographers in Odessa

Apodo del Ingeniero en Electrónica Adolfo Juárez Morales

Electronics Engineer nickname Adolfo Juárez Morales

Afo, thought to be the world's oldest Clove Tree

I am obviously opening myself up for a right hook, here.

I have been away for a week, to come back to this BFO/afo BS.

Admittedly, I have not attended any comps, but have admired the support all members provide to each other, but I can't get away from the feeling that this is a way of opening up market place for Obsession Fishing.

If this is the case I am BLOODY OFFENDED.

As I can see no ther reason to go afo.

Ring the bell for round one.

If you want an AFO sight, fine, start one, but don't mess with the GREAT COMMINITY, that you havev already created.

Craig, Leading with the Chin.

No need to be BLOODY OFFENDED then as that is certainly not the case. BFO is run separately from Obsession as the ownership is different. Obsession pays for the rights to advertise on here.

The reason is genuinely as previously stated by Admin. It is just a natural progression as a result of the natural growth.

Right hook pulled. Chin safe. :P:lol:

Seeing as I will be down south I think it's not a bad idea :pinch:

but I joined this forum to catch up on whats been happening down south

/>http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewforum.php?f=150&sid=e445ce574ed1e813e1f9a944ff11bafd

as you can see it has segregated areas of fishing and there fore created little groups with minimal posts in each section :(

IMO let all posts pertaining to fishing IE: reports be visible in latest news section so friends from around OZ can see whats happening in other states with out having to search for them.

this would keep the community side of things on track but by all means have user select groups / filters for those who wish to concentrate on specific regions :whistle:

and keep their heads in the sand :woohoo:

just my 2 cents worth

Gaz

I am obviously opening myself up for a right hook, here.

I have been away for a week, to come back to this BFO/afo BS.

Admittedly, I have not attended any comps, but have admired the support all members provide to each other, but I can't get away from the feeling that this is a way of opening up market place for Obsession Fishing.

If this is the case I am BLOODY OFFENDED.

As I can see no ther reason to go afo.

Ring the bell for round one.

If you want an AFO sight, fine, start one, but don't mess with the GREAT COMMINITY, that you havev already created.

Craig, Leading with the Chin.

Obsession Fishing are only one sponsor of many here and were not in any way associated with the move. The only common link to AFO is one common owner (myself) who was ironically actually the original skeptic regarding the change over, but I am a full convert now.

The larger driving forces behind the change to AFO have no financial ties or connections to Obsession Fishing (despite what Obsession has given as prizes to BFO/AFO in the past and may do in the future) and thus your offense is not founded.

You know I have had thoughts both fore and against this move and in the end settled somewhere in the middle.

Yes I think it will market the site to more interstate people simply with the name change and bring in more members and reports. Hopefully those new members will each purchase a couple of stickers, a shirt or 2 to assist with cash flow to the site. For this to happen though the shop needs to be stocked as with a lot of online purchasing, its impulse motivated and completed on the spot.

Conversely, bringing in more members will bring in more attitude and differing opinions and even though its been loudly claimed a number of times in recent weeks about a zero tolerance to the blatant flouting of site rules, little seems to have eventuated.

I honestly hope this move isn't just going to open the flood gates further.

Bootys hit a point the expansion of membership is bound to bring in some new members from not so well regulated and adminstered sites, the present, or better still improving on the present behaviour shuld be adhered to and not diluted in any form. Personally I think the change is a good idea, I'm from the sunny coast anyway and the name Brisbane Fishing seemed to be initially off putting thinking it was a localised club. GOOD MOVE.

I'm in two minds about this. I believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Having said that...it would be pretty rough of me to criticize the change having not seen/ encountered any issues so far.

It will be good for the site in terms of bringing in more income, which in turn means more/better events.

I recon we should do a poll in say 3-6months to see of opinions have changed about it.

I'm now an AFO!!

i'm happy to go with the flow and second booty's comments.

i think one other thing to consider is the increased number of interstate trading of goods. this will certainly open up opportunities for scams particularly where caveat emptor needs to be at the forefront. in some instances members will not be able to physically inspect goods prior to purchase. i think a minimum post count to sell and/or some sort of trader rating system needs to be in place (similar to ebay).

Archived