The change from BFO to AFO. Have your say.

ellicat

I am obviously opening myself up for a right hook, here.

I have been away for a week, to come back to this BFO/afo BS.

Admittedly, I have not attended any comps, but have admired the support all members provide to each other, but I can't get away from the feeling that this is a way of opening up market place for Obsession Fishing.

If this is the case I am BLOODY OFFENDED.

As I can see no ther reason to go afo.

Ring the bell for round one.

If you want an AFO sight, fine, start one, but don't mess with the GREAT COMMINITY, that you havev already created.

Craig, Leading with the Chin.

Hey Zoob - like has already been addressed - totally different companies with a concerted effort to try and draw the line as much as possible just to avoid confusion like what you have just shown. But as a supporter of BFO/AFO - why would you be offended if it gives us more coverage? It'll do exactly the same for ReelTackle, Damiki/Pontoon21, FishHead and other website supporters. As with any business that supports with sponsorship - mutual benefit is a pretty strong driver.

I do find it interesting that people with relatively low post counts still get the vibe of BFO (or at least what usd to be BFO).

I'm also of the agreement that we will need to mod with a stronger backhand. Give me more power I say :D

i'm happy to go with the flow and second booty's comments.

i think one other thing to consider is the increased number of interstate trading of goods. this will certainly open up opportunities for scams particularly where caveat emptor needs to be at the forefront. in some instances members will not be able to physically inspect goods prior to purchase. i think a minimum post count to sell and/or some sort of trader rating system needs to be in place (similar to ebay).

Another good point Eug... it should be at the Admins discrection as to when and what a person can list for sale on this site. I think I have totally backing when I say I find it hard to tolerate the 'fly in fly out' sellers on here who just use it as a free selling site.

But in saying that, I dont think AFO should vouch for either the seller or the product just so there is no 'You guys said this would be ok'. I think quantity and quality of posts, chatting with prospective sellers, extra photos for clarification via email is the way to get the best vibe. As you said Eug 'Caveat Emptor'... let the buyer beware.

Change management is always the hardest thing for any organisation. We are always reluctant to change and are negative towards it. The change to AFO was always going to happen. I was always surprised for such an active and professional site it was branded as "Brisbane". For the site to grow to benefit the Owners and sponsors the site and business needed to be re-branded.

This said - We are coming from a Brisbane base with a strong community. Currently a lot of active members with close friendships. It will take quite some time for new members to join from other areas and for them to have any effect on the local community if any.

As people know forums do come and go. We make them what they are. They are at the end of the day just a catalyst for the community to form. Without the activity and effort of members the community would not have formed and become so strong. The sky is not falling and the changes where inevitable.

On another note I am looking forward to reports from other areas as the site has been a little slow of late.

good luck boys with the changes.

Personally im happy to see the site move forward, sure there might be a few more people from other states in the mix but the people I know and have fished with on the site will still be here. The name has changed but the people that make it a good community haven't, plus all those fools in the other states (especially southern ones) can read our reports and be jealous of just how good the fishing can be in our part of Australia.

Cheers

Mark

The answer has to be a yes.

If given the option as a general user to be able to choose only particular forums (qld, nsw etc), then there's no impact.

I would only ask, that this user option be enabled through out the site somehow, ie, if general announcements are made on the front page, would they go to all users, or only the users in their chosen region of the announcement? I would only want northern nsw and qld announcements and the choice to be able to choose this. Not the entire countries socials etc.

Rgds

Paul

I see it as only being a good thing for the site, of course we all loved BFO but the reality is it hasn't gone anywhere, it will take a long time for the site to become truly national and even then with over 10000 having joined whilst it was BFO there will always be a great local feel about it, I know I'll still be calling it BFO. It will be interesting to see how it takes off in other states, this site has always been about the socials and meeting up with other members for a fish or beer or whatever and it would be great to see that community feel take off elsewhere. Eug did raise a good point about buying and selling on the site now and I like the idea of now having a minimum post count or whatever just as some sort of insurance for members everywhere. Well done to John and Angus on creating a great site in BFO and good luck with AFO moving forward, I'm looking forward to reading a few reports on 50+cm Tassie Bream :woohoo:

I would like to see an easier access to fishing reports. Say opening page showing General Information or Fishing Reports.

Sometimes the Latest Posts page is all general info and not even one fishing report or you put up a fishing report and within an hour it has gone off the page because of so many general info reports.

I know some people are not interested in fishing reports and never post any, so these people can click straight onto general info if that is thier go.

When a report has gone past the first page it hardly ever comes back again. Some people put a lot of effort into thier report to have it gone in half the time.

I know you can go looking for the fishing reports but I feel as a fishing site they deserve front page.

Dino

Your not doing it right Dino, put in pic of a fish hanging from a set of lip grips or say you took one home to eat and your report will stay on the front page for a couple of days no worries :pinch: ;)

Add an out of season fish and your guaranteed a week on the front page :whistle: :evil:

Seriously though I reckon you have a point. It is about the fishing right? :blink:

• 1 month later...

I have loved this site for a few years now, I don't get on every day, but It is every day when I'm on holidays, because I love to see where the action is and what's being caught,

I must admit at first I had my reservations with the change of name because of what a simple name change can do to this site, ( but I guess we have to keep in mind what positives it can do for the site as well)

after reading this post, it has made me aware of what can be done to keep the localized reports still alive by creating a BFO group... Plus the advantage of reading what's happening all over our wonderful country too...

So my BFO sticker will stay on my boat as the group I will join, and AFO is the great same new site I will recommend to all fishermen I meet where ever I am...

Cheers

I must admit that i'm still pretty new to the site but what did draw me here in the first place was the fact that it was a Brisbane based site with people passionate about our local fisheries. I've been lucky to meet and fish with a few of you so far and look forward to meeting and fishing with more of you in the near future. If I have the chance to continue to do that, and to still chat with people and gain knowledge from people who love fishing then I'm happy with AFO, but I will certainly be looking to join any BFO specific groups of course... Thanks to everyone so far for a great community and site.

Archived