Maroon Dam, Lake Campfire

Jethro

Hey guys, I have never been to Maroon Dam, can anyone give me a few spots to try for Bass. I will be camped at Lake Campfire and have a boat

Bass are not hard to find in Maroon. Lures or Shrimp are good this time of year. If the wind is slight you will get some great surface action early morning and night. They hit the surface everywhere. If you are finding it hard to catch one on lures buy some shrimp off the campsite and you are assured to catch them all through the day. good luck. A few places to get started.

post-7418-144598885187_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, I have never been to Maroon Dam, can anyone give me a few spots to try for Bass. I will be camped at Lake Campfire and have a boat

Bass are not hard to find in Maroon. Lures or Shrimp are good this time of year. If the wind is slight you will get some great surface action early morning and night. They hit the surface everywhere. If you are finding it hard to catch one on lures buy some shrimp off the campsite and you are assured to catch them all through the day. good luck. A few places to get started.

[attachment=58161]maroon.JPG[/attachment]

Thanks Ted, you've managed to hide my secret spot well :)

A mate of mine went there a few months ago after I recommended it to him, and he threw just about every lure in his tacklebox and couldn't get a bite. I'd told him to bring some shrimp as well, which he used with success, but he was disappointed that they didn't take lures especially after trying so hard.

The same thing had happened to me about a year before that - spent hours casting lures for nothing only to pick up about 8 in an hour on shrimp.

So go prepared... B)

-Steve.

Hi Jethro, just got back from there, did an afternoon session then a session the next morning for 63 Bass all on lure.

Fish are sitting in 6 to 7 meters of water up against the weed, buy yourself a RMG poltergiest 50 mm, caught 61 of the Bass.

There was a good fire in the hills behind the lake, big storm put it out yesterday afternoon, cheers wayne

post-7760-144598885322_thumb.jpg

post-7760-14459888533_thumb.jpg

Hi Jethro, just got back from there, did an afternoon session then a session the next morning for 63 Bass all on lure.

Fish are sitting in 6 to 7 meters of water up against the weed, buy yourself a RMG poltergiest 50 mm, caught 61 of the Bass.

There was a good fire in the hills behind the lake, big storm put it out yesterday afternoon, cheers wayne

[attachment=58182]IMG_4155.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=58183]IMG_4150.jpg[/attachment]

Wow 2 blinder sessions, you'd have to be stoked with those numbers...

Yes Greg was a good couple of sessions, first time there and it is a beautiful place.

I would imagine it would be very busy on weekends but during the week it was great.

The lures worked well, i think the Spangled Perch would be a problem if you were bait fishing we were even catching them on the big lures, cheers wayne

Were you trolling the Halco Youngy, or casting it? They must have been willing to come up a long way from 6-7m to take the lure - it only dives to 3+m! Fantastic result, well done.

-Steve.

Dam bass often school at different depths, not necessarily on the bottom.

Granted, it was just that he said they were holding in 6-7m of water.

Good question Steve, although i was only the deckie on this trip i still was keeping a close eye on the sounder.

The fish were holding quite deep at between 5 and 6 meters around the weed, you could see them clearly even though we only had an old black and white sounder.

That lure does say it goes to 3 meters, however if you use very light braid "4lb" and put it a few extra meters back while trolling it is amazing just how deep you can get some lures down to.

I think when they do the depth rating on lures they do not count on us using very light braids, i also feel that it is better to have the lure slightly above the fish than have it moving underneath the fish, cheers wayne

Archived